1. 2. 3. Lists.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
National cinema is a very tricky beast, and nothing is certain. The nationality of the filmmaker, the financing, the cast, shooting location, all kind of determine these things, and you aren't always going to get all of the factors to align. But yeah some of those I definitely wouldn't count, like Children of Men and Eastern Promises. After a point as well you also begin to factor style and creative form into the equation, whether something is a "Hollywood" film or if it's "European", etc. I'd say mainly financing and the nationality of director/cast, however.

Even with Hitchcock coming to America, I still consider Rebecca to be a British film for the most part, considering the director and the cast over Selznick's input. But there's definitely an American sensibility in the pictures that come after, and often the culture itself is part of the subtext.

And so many films are financed, shot, and acted by a United Nations of people, so it's difficult to break along those lines. And it's really been that way since the 60's. Look at Antonioni's The Passenger. American, French and British actors. Italian director and producer. Hollywood money. Shot in Africa and Spain. Or what about Blow-Up? Is it British or Italian?

You also have the case of Orson Welles, who shot in Europe for half his career, often in different countries for the same film. He's certainly American, but doesn't he have a European sensibility? Mr. Arkadin, The Trial, Othello, etc. certainly don't feel like American films to me.

Another one is Buñuel. Are his rich, late-period films French because they were mostly made there with French money, casts and co-writer? But then what about Tristana, shot in Spain?

Nope, I love it too. Just screened it for some friends a month or so ago.

That film was idiotically categorized as a drama by the Golden Globes, and of course won nothing except the award for Dylan's song.

Amazing cast, script, direction, editing, etc.

The only reason I think it was YLB and not you is because I'm pretty sure it was someone who used to post in one of the chat threads with me back in "the day"

But, anyways...I'll surely be adding it to the queue then.

Dominik is from New Zealand.

(ducks)

American money, American actors, American setting/story.

National cinema is a very tricky beast, and nothing is certain. The nationality of the filmmaker, the financing, the cast, shooting location, all kind of determine these things, and you aren't always going to get all of the factors to align. But yeah some of those I definitely wouldn't count, like Children of Men and Eastern Promises. After a point as well you also begin to factor style and creative form into the equation, whether something is a "Hollywood" film or if it's "European", etc. I'd say mainly financing and the nationality of director/cast, however.

I can agree with most of this. My first reaction was based mostly upon financing/studio backing, which Children of Men certainly has. Now you're in the situation of a film with American money with a largely English cast, set in England, made by a Mexican director. Fun times there.

I didn't consider the cultural elements as much as I should have. Plus, looking back on my overall Aughts list, the order is fairly arbitrary. This has all turned into a headache.

I'm trying to put together a list of my favorite screen performances, out of boredom.

This is impossible.

Bored and because I'm somewhat in the mood for such things:

Favorite Anime Series
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. FLCL*
3. Spice and Wolf
4. Mushishi
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion**
6. Haibane Renmei
7. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
8. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
9. Planetes
10. Black Lagoon

*Really an OVA, but I'll throw it in here.
**If we include The End of Evangelion, and maybe the new reboot features

Currently Watching
Full Metal Panic!
Baccano!
Fruits Basket
Darker Than Black

On Deck
K-On!
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
His and Her Circumstances
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Monster
Berserk

My friend adores Utena. I was made to watch quite a bit of it in high school. It waa pretty good.

My friend adores Utena. I was made to watch quite a bit of it in high school. It waa pretty good.

Frequently heralded as another one of the seminal series from the mid-90s anime golden age. Looking forward to it.

Anyway, finished season 1 of Full Metal Panic! Decent stuff, extremely well put together despite succumbing to some of its genre's less savory cliches at times.

Also part way through Gurren Lagann now. Wildly energetic, often clever deconstruction... not nearly as brilliant as Gainax's most accomplished works, but quite enjoyable.

I'm loving the fact that so many anime series are not streaming on Netflix. I've always been interested in the genre, but never followed much of anything, save your standard DBZ and Inuyasha stuff that was on Cartoon Network so much you couldn't avoid it. I've just never known what shows to watch or where to find them. Now, of course, Netflix helps there.

Yeah, it's pretty nice. I'd strongly suggest checking out Mushishi, which I saw was on there, though I haven't checked out the quality of the English dub (all the ones on netflix seem to be the dubbed version, which is rather hit or miss). That's also one though, which I can't really imagine watching in English, since it's so very culturally and stylistically Japanese. Full Metal Panic! is there in its entire three seasons, which is neat. I'd also recommend checking out Fruits Basket, Clannad, Baccano!, and the rather excellent Eden of the East, all on netflix last time I checked.

I'm trying to devise a list of double features for over the summer. What do you think of what I have so far?

Gunga Din / Five Graves to Cairo
Fitzcarraldo / Burden of Dreams
Le Samourai / Point Blank
The Thin Red Line / Lessons of Darkness
Prince of the City / 12 Angry Men
Red River / The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
To Have and Have Not / The Big Sleep
Le Cercle Rouge / The Conformist
The Last Picture Show / The Grapes of Wrath
Magnificent Obsession / Far from Heaven
The 39 Steps / Charade
The Awful Truth / Arsenic and Old Lace
A Better Tomorrow / A Better Tomorrow II
High Sierra / The Maltese Falcon

If you can think of flicks to pair with the group below, that'd be swell:

Ace in the Hole
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Day for Night
Dead Man
The Dirty Dozen
High and Low
The Last Detail
Secret Honor
Sid & Nancy
Week-End
White Dog

Are this only all films you haven't yet seen? I'll just go with my first gut instinct for now:

Dead Man - The Shooting (Hellman)
Day for Night - Irma Vep (Assayas)
High and Low - Branded to Kill (Suzuki) / Pitfall (Teshigahara)
Aguirre - Gerry (Van Sant) / Blissfully Yours (Weerasethakul)
Week-End / L'eclisse (Antonioni)

Are this only all films you haven't yet seen? I'll just go with my first gut instinct for now:

Dead Man - The Shooting (Hellman)
Day for Night - Irma Vep (Assayas)
High and Low - Branded to Kill (Suzuki) / Pitfall (Teshigahara)
Aguirre - Gerry (Van Sant) / Blissfully Yours (Weerasethakul)
Week-End / L'eclisse (Antonioni)

Yessir. Thanks for the suggestions.

Fuller's Forty Guns and Ray's Johnny Guitar seem like fun companion pieces.

despite the titles
I was only trying to think of a good second film for a double feature with Sid and Nancy
I believe the 1972 Perry Henzell film to be a great film to follow an average film.

Buddy of mine recommended these:

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai / Branded to Kill
In a Lonely Place / The Barefoot Contessa
Showgirls / Black Book
White Dog / The Young One (Bunuel)
Unfaithfully Yours / The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Sherlock Jr. /The Cameraman
Wings of Desire / Nosferatu (Herzog is a dick but these two are oddly similar)
Black Sunday / The Devil Rides Out (my favorite Hammer)
Red Cliff / Land of the Pharoahs
Wagon Master / Rio Grande / The Sun Shines Bright
Ride the High Country / The Tall T or Ride Lonesome
The Naked Spur / Man of The West
Winchester '73 / The Man From Laramie

The Sun Shines Bright is not easy to find, but it is available somewhere on torrents or P2P.

And it is one of Ford's best films, certainly better than Wagon Master or Rio Grande.

Best First-Time Film Viewings of April

1. Vive L'Amour
2. Le Quattro Volte
3. The Wind Will Carry Us
4. The One-Armed Swordsman (Chang)
5. Pitfall
6. When A Woman Ascends the Stairs
7. Le Plaisir
8. Mildred Pierce (Haynes)
9. O Sangue
10. Lola (Demy)

Back