1. 2. 3. Lists.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dennis Hooper wield two mini chainsaws, are gems.

47212_325493014215333_1778826332_n.jpg

???

But really, I meant to say something about Zombie's Halloween movies:

When I saw the first one, I hated, hated, hated it, but, for whatever reason, it became kind of a thing with my friend and I, so when the second came out, we were there opening night. Again, I was watching the second one and hating it even more...and then...holy shit, that ending. Rob Zombie had a vision for that remake, and, while it takes sitting through both films to see it through, once you get to the payoff, you can more than forgive him twisting a classic into his own vision: After all, that vision is pretty excellent.

???

But really, I meant to say something about Zombie's Halloween movies:

When I saw the first one, I hated, hated, hated it, but, for whatever reason, it became kind of a thing with my friend and I, so when the second came out, we were there opening night. Again, I was watching the second one and hating it even more...and then...holy shit, that ending. Rob Zombie had a vision for that remake, and, while it takes sitting through both films to see it through, once you get to the payoff, you can more than forgive him twisting a classic into his own vision: After all, that vision is pretty excellent.

You heard me. Hopper plays a sheriff who gets more unhinged as the flick moves along, basically if Hopper was a batshit Dr. Loomis:

http://youtu.be/kIXRRm1Amas

Zombie's first Halloween excels when it deviates from the original. All of the mythos building with the masks, young Michael, and his relationship with McDowell's Loomis shine. After that it becomes a beat-for-beat remake with a more menacing and physically imposing Michael.

H2 is so off-the-wall and violent and angry... I couldn't watch nearly a third of it but was hooked nonetheless. Zombie's fascination in exploring the trauma associated with violence, either the action's blunt force or it's aftermath, are oddly alien to horror, particularly this breed of "slasher." In my eyes, Zombie reconfigures Michael Myers as a sly deconstruction in the same way that Nolan tries to, and fails to do, with Batman; no one cares because horror fans are the worst and demand the same shit each time. His 2 Halloween flicks are in dialogue with the whole prior series, not just Carpenter's first. Intriguing shit.

Just in keeping up with my own personal canon, since recent things here like our top whatever favorite films always seem so damn impossible to me, usually when it comes to trying to rank/choose/eliminate individual films... whatever....

I'm trying to get a handle on my current favorite filmmakers and their works I love the most, since this is always a developing project and better indicator of my own tastes and where my head is with relation to film. Maybe I'll turn this into a more fleshed out blog post at some point or something, but usually too lazy for that.

1. Yasujiro Ozu - Tokyo Story / An Autumn Afternoon / Tokyo Twilight
2. Hou Hsiao-Hsien - Flight of the Red Balloon / Flowers of Shanghai / Millennium Mambo
3. Abbas Kiarostami - Certified Copy / Taste of Cherry / Through the Olive Trees
4. Eric Rohmer - My Night at Maud's / The Green Ray / The Aviator's Wife
5. Howard Hawks - Only Angels Have Wings / The Big Sleep / His Girl Friday
6. Claire Denis - 35 Shots of Rum / Friday Night / White Material
7. Mikio Naruse - Flowing / Floating Clouds / When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
8. Wong Kar Wai - In the Mood for Love / Chungking Express / 2046
9. Michelangelo Antonioni - La Notte / L'Avventura / The Passenger
10. Robert Bresson - Pickpocket / Mouchette / Au Hasard Balthazar
11. Alain Resnais - Hiroshima Mon Amour / Melo / You Aint Seen Nothing Yet
12. Brian De Palma - Carlito's Way / Phantom of the Paradise / Dressed to Kill
13. Buster Keaton - Seven Chances / The Cameraman / The General
14. Terrence Malick - The New World / The Thin Red Line / The Tree of Life
15. Robert Altman - California Split / McCabe & Mrs Miller / The Long Goodbye
16. Apichatpong Weerasethakul - Tropical Malady / Syndromes and a Century / A Letter to Uncle Boonmee
17. Johnnie To - Throw Down / Exiled / Breaking News
18. Alfred Hitchcock - Psycho / Vertigo / Under Capricorn
19. Kenji Mizoguchi - The Life of Oharu / Street of Shame / Sisters of the Gion
20. Mike Leigh - Topsy-Turvy / Another Year / Happy-Go-Lucky
21. Terence Davies - The Long Day Closes / Distant Voices, Still Lives / The House of Mirth
22. David Cronenberg - Dead Ringers / Crash / Cosmopolis
23. Douglas Sirk - Imitation of Life / Written on the Wind / The Tarnished Angels
24. Frank Tashlin - Cinderfella / Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? / Artists and Models
25. Tsai Ming-Liang - What Time is it There? / Vive L'Amour / The River
26. Mikhail Kalatozov - The Cranes are Flying / I Am Cuba / Letter Never Sent
27. Tsui Hark - Peking Opera Blues / Once Upon a Time in China / Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame
28. Charlie Chaplin - The Gold Rush / The Circus / City Lights
29. Federico Fellini - Nights of Cabiria / Amarcord / La Dolce Vita
30. Jerry Lewis - The Errand Boy / The Bellboy / The Nutty Professor
31. Raoul Ruiz - Three Crowns of a Sailor / Time Regained / City of Pirates
32. Michael Mann - Collateral / Public Enemies / Miami Vice
33. Stanley Kubrick - 2001: A Space Odyssey / The Shining / Eyes Wide Shut
34. Max Ophuls - The Earrings of Madame De... / Letter From an Unknown Woman / The Reckless Moment
35. F.W. Murnau - Tabu: A Story of the South Seas / Sunrise: A Story of Two Humans / The Last Laugh
36. Hong Sang-Soo - The Day He Arrives / Oki's Movie / In Another Country
37. Orson Welles - Touch of Evil / Citizen Kane / The Trial
38. King Hu - A Touch of Zen / Dragon Inn / Come Drink With Me
39. Woody Allen - Annie Hall / Hannah and Her Sisters / Stardust Memories
40. David Lynch - Mulholland Dr. / Inland Empire / Twin Peaks
41. Vincente Minnelli - Tea and Sympathy / Two Weeks in Another Town / An American in Paris
42. John Ford - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence / The Searchers / My Darling Clementine
43. Tony Scott - Deja Vu / Top Gun / Domin
44. Nicholas Ray - Rebel Without a Cause / Johnny Guitar / In a Lonely Place
45. Jim Jarmusch - Mystery Train / The Limits of Control / Dead Man
46. Hayao Miyazaki - Ponyo / Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind / Princess Mononoke
47. Nagisa Oshima - The Sun's Burial / The Man Who Put His Will on Film / Cruel Story of Youth
48. Jia Zhangke - The World / 24 City / Still Life
49. Olivier Assayas - Cold Water / Boarding Gate / Summer Hours
50. Masaki Kobayashi - Harakiri / The Human Condition / Samurai Rebellion

Would you classify those 3 faves as good entry points for most of those filmmakers? I'm talking about the Asian ones, specifically.

I already had copied your list into my Netflix queue, so now I have something fun to update with.

This, though, has prompted me to reevaluate my favorite director's list, I'll be back.

I posted this on January 22nd, 2011 and as far as I can tell, I never actually came back and updated my list. And my GOD, I spelled Steven Spielberg's name wrong in it!!!
I'm going to put this under spoiler tags for the feint of heart, but here was my awful list of favorite directors from a few years back. I'm going to update this later tonight, but shit....Mendes is on here.

1) Stephen Spielberg - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
2) Robert Zemeckis - Forrest Gump
3) Christopher Guest - A Mighty Wind
4) Hayao Miyazaki - Spirited Away
5) Adam McKay - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
6) George Lucas - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
7) Wes Anderson - The Royal Tenenbaums
8) Frank Darabont - The Shawshank Redemption
9) Sam Mendes - American Beauty
10) Richard Donner - Conspiracy Theory

Here you are, everyone, my new list of favorites:

1) David Lynch - Blue Velvet/The Elephant Man/Inland Empire
2) Steven Spielberg - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade/Schindler's List/Minority Report
3) Wes Anderson - The Royal Tenenbaums/The Life Aquatic/Rushmore
4) Hayao Miyazaki - Spirited Away/Castle in the Sky/Princess Mononoke
5) Christopher Nolan - The Prestige/Inception/Memento
6) Terry Gilliam - Brazil/Monty Python & The Holy Grail/Twelve Monkeys
7) Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood/Magnolia/The Master
8) David Fincher - Se7en/Zodiac/The Social Network
9) Terrance Malick - The New World/Badlands/Days of Heaven
10) Rob Reiner - When Harry Met Sally/Stand By Me/This Is Spinal Tap

I wanted to keep Christopher Guest on this list, but I'm not sure if I admire him so much for his direction as I do his scripts. I adore everything he's ever done, including For Your Consideration, but it's because they're hilarious films. Timing is part of that, I suppose, which does speak for his direction, but again...I just couldn't decide for sure.

Not really all that adventurous, but I'm happy with it. Had to fight between Reiner and Zemeckis, I still do love them both.

Top 20, films listed in chronological order:

1. David Lynch (Eraser/Elephant Man/Blue Velvet)
2. Steven Spielberg (Jaws/Close Encounters of the Third Kind/Raiders of the Lost Ark)
3. Sidney Lumet (12 Angry Men/Dog Day Afternoon/Network)
4. Alfred Hitchcock (Rebecca/Rear Window/Psycho)
5. Martin Scorsese (Raging Bull/After Hours/Goodfellas)
6. Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights/There Will Be Blood/The Master)
7. Quentin Tarantino (Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction/Kill Bill Vol. 2)
8. Stanley Kubrick (Dr. Strangelove/2001: A Space Oddyssey/The Shining)
9. Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather/The Conversation/Apocalypse Now)
10. Billy Wilder (Double Indemnity/Sunset Blvd./The Apartment)
11. Joel & Ethan Coen (Fargo/The Big Lebowski/No Country for Old Men)
12. Hayao Miyazaki (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind/Princess Mononoke/Spirit Away)
13. Christopher Nolan (The Prestige/The Dark Knight/Inception)
14. David Fincher (Fight Club/Seven/Zodiac)
15. Ingmar Bergman (The Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries/Persona)
16. Darren Aranofsky (Requiem for a Dream/The Wrestler/Black Swan)
17. Roman Polanski (Knife in the Water/Repulsion/Chinatown)
18. John Huston (The Maltese Falcon/Treasure of the Sierra Madre/The African Queen)
19. Terry Gilliam (Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Brazil/Twelve Monkeys)
20. Danny Boyle (Trainspotting/28 Days Later/Slumdog Millionaire)

Gilliam and Boyle won't last though, as I've only seen a handful of Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa movies. They'll be up there soon.

My best shot right now:

1. Martin Scorsese - Goodfellas / Taxi Driver / Raging Bull
2. Alfred Hitchcock - Vertigo / Rear Window / North by Northwest
3. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger - The Red Shoes / The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp / A Matter of Life and Death
4. Brian De Palma - Blow Out / Phantom of the Paradise / Carlito's Way
5. John Carpenter - Big Trouble in Little China / The Thing / Prince of Darkness
6. Steven Spielberg - Jaws / Raiders of the Lost Ark / A.I.
7. Orson Welles - Citizen Kane / F for Fake / Chimes at Midnight
8. Wes Anderson - Moonrise Kingdom / Fantastic Mr. Fox / Rushmore
9. John Ford - The Searchers / The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance / Stagecoach
10. Stanley Kubrick - Dr. Strangelove... / Eyes Wide Shut / Barry Lyndon
11. Howard Hawks - Only Angels Have Wings / Rio Bravo / Bringing Up Baby
12. Robert Altman - Nashville / The Long Goodbye / 3 Women
13. Francis Coppola - The Godfather Part II / Apocalypse Now / The Conversation
14. David Lynch - Mulholland Dr. / Blue Velvet / Eraserhead
15. Woody Allen - Annie Hall / Manhattan / Hannah and Her Sisters
16. Frank Tashlin - Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? / Artists and Models / The Girl Can't Help It
17. The Coen Bros. - A Serious Man / The Big Lebowski / Raising Arizona
18. Michael Mann - Heat / The Insider / Miami Vice
19. Charlie Chaplin - City Lights / The Great Dictator / Limelight
20. Jerry Lewis - The Ladies Man / The Nutty Professor / The Bellboy
21. Terrence Malick - Days of Heaven / Tree of Life / Badlands
22. Paul Verhoeven - RoboCop / Showgirls / Total Recall
23. David Cronenberg - The Fly / A History of Violence / Videodrome
24. Paul Thomas Anderson - Magnolia / There Will Be Blood / Punch-Drunk Love
25. Joe Dante - Gremlins 2: The New Batch / The 'burbs / Matinee
26. Steven Soderbergh - The Limey / sex, lies, and videotape / Ocean's Twelve
27. Albert Brooks - Modern Romance / Real Life / Lost in America
28. Jean-Luc Godard - Pierrot le Fou / Contempt / Alphaville
29. Nicholas Ray - In a Lonely Place / Johnny Guitar / Bigger Than Life
30. David Fincher - Zodiac / The Social Network / The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
31. William Friedkin - The Exorcist / Sorcerer / Killer Joe
32. François Truffaut - Jules and Jim / The 400 Blows / Antoine y Collete
33. Billy Wilder - Double Indemnity / The Apartment / Sunset Blvd.
34. Roman Polanski - Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby / Repulsion
35. Danny Boyle - Trainspotting / 127 Hours / Trance
36. Edgar Wright - Scott Pilgrim vs. the World / Hot Fuzz / The World's End
37. Sam Fuller - The Naked Kiss / The Big Red One / Pickup on South Street
38. Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds / Jackie Brown / Pulp Fiction
39. Stuart Gordon - From Beyond / Re-Animator / Dolls
40. Sam Peckinpah - Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia / Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid / The Wild Bunch
41. Michelangelo Antonioni - Red Desert / Blow-up / Zabriskie Point
42. John Cassavetes - A Woman Under the Influence / The Killing of a Chinese Bookie / Shadows
43. Richard Linklater - Before Sunset / Bernie / Dazed and Confused
44. Jacques Tourneur - Out of the Past / Cat People / I Walked with a Zombie
45. Peter Bogdanovich - Targets / The Last Picture Show / Saint Jack
46. Jim Jarmusch - Down by Law / Mystery Train / Stranger Than Paradise
47. Sam Raimi - Evil Dead II / Spider-Man 2 / Drag Me to Hell
48. Rob Zombie - Halloween II / The Lords of Salem / The Devil's Rejects
49. James Cameron - Aliens / The Terminator / The Abyss
50. Tobe Hooper - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre / Lifeforce / Poltergeist

On the Bubble: Mel Brooks, Terence Fisher, Akira Kurosawa, David O. Russell, Andrei Tarkovsky, Sergei Eisenstein, Vincente Minnelli, Louis C.K., Ken Russell, Alex Cox, Roberto Rossellini, Tony Scott, Sergio Leone, Fritz Lang, Mario Bava, John Woo, Bong Joon-ho, John McTiernan, Spike Lee, Federico Fellini, Leo McCarey, Preston Sturges, John Huston, Mikhail Kalatozov, Jonathan Demme, Luis Buñuel, Walter Hill, Steve James, Jeff Nichols, Kathryn Bigelow, Stanley Donen/Gene Kelly, Ingmar Bergman

Director's Jail: Tom Hooper, Christopher Nolan, Baz Luhrmann, Ridley Scott, Renny Harlin, Zack Snyder, Jared Hess, Nicolas Winding Refn, J.J. Abrams, Matthew Vaughn, Peter Jackson, Robert Benigni

bald_eagle_head_and_american_flag1.jpg

10. Billy Wilder (Double Indemnity/Sunset Blvd./The Apartment)

16. Darren Aranofsky (Requiem for a Dream/The Wrestler/Black Swan)

20. Danny Boyle (Trainspotting/28 Days Later/Slumdog Millionaire)

...Whoops. Well, I didn't put a ton of thought into my list, but I could easily have gone out to twenty if I had. These are big misses on my part, though.

15. Ingmar Bergman (The Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries/Persona)

Gilliam and Boyle won't last though, as I've only seen a handful of Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa movies. They'll be up there soon.
Same for me, Ozu as well and Bergman. I just haven't seen enough of their films, but I know that once I do, they'll all be up there.

I was also incredibly tempted to put Ridley Scott on there. As a huge sci-fi nerd, his movies are just too good looking not to love, but I'm not sure why I didn't put him there.

LMP's list is highly agreeable, particularly nice to see equal love for Tashlin, Lewis, Altman, Dante, Brooks, Tourneur, Friedkin, Bogdanovich. :up:

If I were to extend mine to 100 or so, some of those might make it, along with Richard Linklater (Before Sunset / Dazed and Confused / Before Midnight), Steven Spielberg (War of the World / A.I. / Lincoln), Stephen Soderbergh (Ocean's Twelve / The Limey / Underneath), Roman Polanski (The Ghost Writer / Rosemary's Baby / The Tenant), John Cassavetes (The Killing of a Chinese Bookie / Husbands / Love Streams), and John Carpenter (Starman / Big Trouble in Little China / The Thing)

Also nearly put Christopher Guest on my list too. His talents as a director are pretty phenomenal considering what he's doing. Not visually, necessarily, in terms of composition, lighting, etc, since he's adopted the pretty achievable faux-doc style, but the precision and depth of his comedy goes beyond just the writing or excellent performances he directs. Knowing what to show, when to show it, how to show it, is all a part of his construction and not to be dismissed based on lack of formal flair. For that reason I'd put him leagues about the other Christopher Mrs._212 replaced him with.

LMP's list is highly agreeable, particularly nice to see equal love for Tashlin, Lewis, Altman, Dante, Brooks, Tourneur, Friedkin, Bogdanovich. :up:

If I were to extend mine to 100 or so, some of those might make it, along with Richard Linklater (Before Sunset / Dazed and Confused / Before Midnight), Steven Spielberg (War of the World / A.I. / Lincoln), Stephen Soderbergh (Ocean's Twelve / The Limey / Underneath), Roman Polanski (The Ghost Writer / Rosemary's Baby / The Tenant), John Cassavetes (The Killing of a Chinese Bookie / Husbands / Love Streams), and John Carpenter (Starman / Big Trouble in Little China / The Thing)

Also nearly put Christopher Guest on my list too. His talents as a director are pretty phenomenal considering what he's doing. Not visually, necessarily, in terms of composition, lighting, etc, since he's adopted the pretty achievable faux-doc style, but the precision and depth of his comedy goes beyond just the writing or excellent performances he directs. Knowing what to show, when to show it, how to show it, is all a part of his construction and not to be dismissed based on lack of formal flair. For that reason I'd put him leagues about the other Christopher Mrs._212 replaced him with.

Thanks, man. Have you seen Saint Jack? I have a feeling that it'd be in your wheelhouse.

Catherine O'Hara speaks a bit about the process of a Chris Guest flick on her WTF with Marc Maron interview. Illuminating stuff, well worth a listen.

Cross-post list:

My Favorite Movies - So Bad, They're Good
-The first five on this list are in order, the rest are just as I think of them:

1) Under Siege - I love this movie so much, I actually come close to ranking it among my favorite films of all time. It's Die Hard, but on about 10 different drugs. There is a stew goin' on here, and it's ingredients are Steven Seagal as a Navy Seal/Chef, Tommy Lee Jones as a biker terrorist and it's seasoned beautifully with a closing knife fight between the two. Genius.

2) Con Air - There are times where this film almost eclipses Under Siege, for me, but it's not the non-stop laugh riot that the former is. The pace slows a bit at times, but it's still got a few scenes that just can't be topped. Now why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box?

3) Teeth - This movie doesn't really fit into the "so-bad-it's-good" category so much as it's just an absolutely ludicrous feature. I first saw it on my quest to find the best bad horror movie out there. After it was over, my task was completed. This film uses a young girl who discovers she has a set of teeth in her vagina as an allegory for the dangers of abstinence-only education...what's not to love?

4) The Room - It has to be here, so let's just get this over with. I almost don't like to give the movie such a place of "honor" because of how much Tommy Wiseau banks on his inabilities, but I'll let it slide in this case: I don't think any of us believe that he actually made it this way on purpose.

5) Last Action Hero - A favorite movie of mine when I was a kid, it actually only got better when I viewed it as an adult. Jingle All The Way, aside, this is probably my favorite Schwarzenegger flick, mostly because I admire how good a job he did of thoroughly taking the piss out of himself.

Most of the rest of these are going to be horror movies:

6) Jennifer's Body - The plot is hysterical, the acting is mediocre and the gore is applied heavily. Any movie that makes a mockery of the typical teenage-slaughter-sex-fest films is usually going to be one I love. No exceptions here.

7) Santa Claus Conquers the Martians - I've never watched the MST3K episode of this, because I don't know why anyone would need to: This movie's funny enough on it's own.

8) Curse of the Zodiac - I'm only going to choose one by Ulli Lommel, because I could probably list every one of his I'd seen here, otherwise. Pretty much this movie is another in a long history of films trying to give an answer for who the Zodiac killer was. This one, however, does something a little different, on its $50 budget. It takes place in the 2000s, and the antagonist isn't the Zodiac killer of old, but a young man who takes his inspiration for a killing spree from the original. However, it turns out that the Zodiac killer is still alive and angry that such shoddy work is being attributed to his name, and he comes for "our hero".
A combination of incorrect history, bad plotting, horrible camera work and a micro-micro-budget make this the worst movie I have ever seen.

9) Christmas Evil - I don't like to tell people why I love this movie so much, because it will spoil the ending. There is about 45 minutes of straight-up boring material in this film, but the beginning and most certainly the ending warrant sitting through the entire thing. If you're not up for it, however, X-Entertainment did a LOVELY review.

10) Leprechaun 3 - The Leprechaun takes Las Vegas in this fantastic sequel to what was already a train-wreck of a franchise. I picked this one specifically because I have some fond memories attached with it from one St. Patrick's day viewing with my mom, oh so many years ago.

11) Bride of Chucky/Seed of Chucky - I'm putting these together because they're basically just a continuation of one another. Somewhere in any horror franchise, you have to make a choice: Do you continue to try to make serious movies, or do you begin to do as much as you can to turn the franchise into a joke? The Leprechaun movies and the Chucky films made the right choice. I'm beside myself with despair that the newest film coming out is apparently going back to trying to be a "real" horror movie.

So, there you are. I had to put 11 in there because I forgot about the Leprechaun films. Anyways, I'm sure I'll think of others I forgot later, but I thought I'd share for fun.

Last Action Hero's another fun mess... had it been a straight Shane Black script with a more self-aware actor like Stallone or Willis and not had a ridiculously-compressed production time, it'd be special. Tons of clashing personalities, styles, and absurd pieces of hubris at play, to be sure.

I've seen six of those.

I'll support Last Action Hero as a minor camp classic. A notch below Conan the Barbarian though

I saw a list on a website last week. I forget what site it was, but it was the best actor to play themselves in a film. Last action hero was on the list and I thought they were joking at first, but I forgot about the Cameo that Arnold has at the end. That was pretty awesome.

Is Conan the Destroyer equally fantastic, or is it not worth my time?

I'll never touch that remake. You can't have action camp without...Arnold.

Is Conan the Destroyer equally fantastic, or is it not worth my time?

I'll never touch that remake. You can't have action camp without...Arnold.

Destroyer is PG and co-stars Wilt Chamberlain. There's one dynamite scene with a baboon monsters that spins Conan by the legs in a circle. That's about it.

You can't have Conan without John Milius. Pure and simple.

If forced to choose, maybe The Last Action Hero because I love Commando, Predator, Terminator and Running Man.

Sadly it doesn't reach those heights. Arnold does a mean Hamlet at one point though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom