Yushchenko leads in Ukraine election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
It's not going to be official until tomorrow, but Yushchenko has a big time lead in 3 exit polls in the Ukraine election, 58-42%. If this holds up, I say it's a major step towards real democracy, and I hope, prosperity, for the Ukrainian people. They've been through alot, I wish them the best.

It's a great day for Ukraine. Yushchenko will bring the Ukrainian people into a new day of hope, and I'm sure there will be alot of partying all over the country, this is a clear victory for democracy and all sorts of freedom for these good people who've been though so much crud.

Good way to rebound and stick it to those who tried to kill him a while back (if that was politically motivated, notice that Yushchenko didn't stoop to their level and retaliate-says something about his character, don't ya think?).

Congrats to him :up:. May he bring the country great things.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Good way to rebound and stick it to those who tried to kill him a while back (if that was politically motivated, notice that Yushchenko didn't stoop to their level and retaliate-says something about his character, don't ya think?).

Congrats to him :up:. May he bring the country great things.

Angela

Yes, I think this says alot about him, that he simply stuck to his message and didn't do anything retaliatory. In the wake of the vicious attack on him, the poisoning, this is pretty amazing stuff, I think. This is a historic day for him and his country and for democracy as a whole. I'll have a drink for the Ukrainian people tonight. They have a brighter future as a result of this victory of democracy.

U2democrat said:
he's got a tough road ahead of him, but after the last month it seems like he could handle anything! :up:

Yeah, Ukraine's got all sorts of problems. My sister spent two weeks there in 2002, they've got economic problems and such, there are all sorts of disputes over nationalistic stuff. I wouldn't want that job for anything, but yeah, look at all the :censored: he's handled! I think things are looking up for Ukraine.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Yes, I think this says alot about him, that he simply stuck to his message and didn't do anything retaliatory. In the wake of the vicious attack on him, the poisoning, this is pretty amazing stuff, I think.

:yes:. Exactly.

Originally posted by verte76
This is a historic day for him and his country and for democracy as a whole. I'll have a drink for the Ukrainian people tonight. They have a brighter future as a result of this victory of democracy.

Indeed :). And you're right, he's a brave man to take on all the problems that they have over there. But it seems the people trust him to handle them, so...that's great. I'm sure he'll do fine, do the best he can.

Angela

:shrug:

I do hope the will of the Ukrainian people prevails. Yushchenko is an amazing individual. :up: to him and his family for not backing down, even after what appears to be attempted murder.

Erm-- :wink:

So I hate to be the downer here. This is a lovely thread with so much goodwill. But I feel like I should pass on what one of my professors told us. She's from the Ukraine and she says the Western press has really whitewashed Yushchenko and that both the Viktors are, in her words, "crooks". :| Apparently, they've both been busted for embezzeling and corruption. She didn't mention anything about Yushchenko trying to freaking POISON someone though, and the guy Putin doesn't want is good by me. :p

So, the people's choice is the one who should be in office, and this is something to celebrate--here's to the people who fought for the election they wanted and may they remain always so involved, so that their government will always be accountable to them. :up:

SD

It's not that Yushchenko is a knight in shining armor. Heck, he's a politician in Ukraine, and I'm not surprised that he's got a few skeletons in his closet. Ukrainian politics is notoriously corrupt. I did read somewhere that the Western media was screwing up covering the election and whitewashing Yushchenko. I do think it was really cool that the people wouldn't stand for the ripping off of their election, and dumped the jerks who tried to kill their opposition. That's a positive thing.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
:up: to the people of the Ukraine. They're the true heroes of this.

I agree. They had the gumption to put up a stink when they thought the first election had been a ripoff and said "we're mad as hell, we're not taking it any more". They didn't.

Back
Top Bottom