You've got a million bucks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Project Angel Food.

They deliver meals to people disabled by HIV/AIDS in Los Angeles County. My nephew has been HIV positive for 15 years and is amazingly healthy but I know that won't always be the case. He has family and friends that will take care of him if God forbid he can't take care of himself but not everyone is that lucky. A lot of the clients they serve look forward to their meal deliverys more for the companionship of the volunteers than for the food. :(

I've been giving Project Angel Food cash donations for years and I always wish I could do more. Luckily they have celebrity supporters and lots of everyday people who volunteer to cook and deliver the meals, but its never enough.

http://www.angelfood.org/html/homepage.html

Hope I dont get your roll eyes for this Martha! But I would give it to my local Lions Club. Not specifically because they would split it up, but because they not only require very little in admin costs, but everything I have witnessed them do helps somebody on a day to day level. This might be cheating under your rules for this hypothetical, but I know I would be happier to see such a large amount of money go directly to those who can benefit. There are too many individuals out there who struggle and rely on an already strained charity to give them help.

I'd give it to Bono and the AIDS crisis. :yes:

I can't really think of a more worthy cause than that since it involves millions, but all of these charities are definitely worthwhile.

I would give to my mom's church that goes to Mexico and build houses and supply food, clothing, and necessities for the families that are homeless and kids that need those things mentioned. I have donated my clothing and kitchen stuff that I don't use anymore to them for years.

I hate that so many women and children in Africa have no water. I hate that it's the women who walk for miles to get water. I hate that "simple" diseases kill so many children in Africa because they have no meds or water. :sad:

All that said, I have no idea where to donate...I wish Bono would pick one he trusts and tell us.

I would create my own charity thang and control directly, like creating a place.

Angela Harlem said:
Hope I dont get your roll eyes for this Martha! But I would give it to my local Lions Club. Not specifically because they would split it up, but because they not only require very little in admin costs, but everything I have witnessed them do helps somebody on a day to day level. This might be cheating under your rules for this hypothetical, but I know I would be happier to see such a large amount of money go directly to those who can benefit. There are too many individuals out there who struggle and rely on an already strained charity to give them help.

Not at all, Angela! Our Lions Clubs here in the States do wonderfull work for kids. They are one single non-profit, so you followed the rules.

Dang it all...now I feel like a cheater on a quiz. I was going to say Lion's Club as well. My club has just had its best fundraising year ever. This would put it over the top:yes:

Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto.

It's a hospital devoted entirely to children, and at the forefront of child care. They separated siamese twins joined at the head a few years back, one of the first places to do so. They're also on the cutting edge of medical research. And well, seeing all those kids, I couldn't think of a better place to give the money to.

If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a house.

If I had to give it to charity, I'd give it to the Salvation Army.

Actually, I don't know who I'd give it to. Not being the kind who makes an appreciable income, I know very little about these various charities.

martha said:
Mine is the Southern Poverty Law Center.

They keep track of white supremacist groups in the United States and offer legal assistance to people who need it to fight the violence these groups perpetrate.

Excellent group Martha. I belong to that group. They have excellent educational aids for teaching racial tolerance in schools.

That said, I'd have to give mine to Heifer International. It is amazing what one goat or sheep, or ect. can do for a family.

(I'd like to split it to a Aids org. also, but that would be cheating)

martha said:
Mine is the Southern Poverty Law Center.

They keep track of white supremacist groups in the United States and offer legal assistance to people who need it to fight the violence these groups perpetrate.

Based in Montgomery, Alabama, under the direction of attorney Morris Dees.

The first charity that came to my mind is about 45 minutes west of the Southern Poverty Law Center: The United Methodist Children's Home for Alabama/West Florida, in Selma, Alabama; I would possibly split it between that local children's home and Children's Hope Chest, which gives aid to orphaned children in Rumania and former Soviet republics. My wife visited some of the kids last summer.

~U2Alabama

Scarletwine said:

That said, I'd have to give mine to Heifer International. It is amazing what one goat or sheep, or ect. can do for a family.

(I'd like to split it to a Aids org. also, but that would be cheating)

Having grown up on a dairy goat farm......and sent many a goat on their way to Heifer, I would agree...it is an excellent idea!

Look what they did for me???? HEHEHEHEH

I wouldn't give the money to a really big 'cause' (like WWF) because it would be a drop on a hot plate anyway. I think I would give mine my to the Aqualutra park in Leeuwarden. They research the behaviour of the Otter-population in The Netherlands in relation to environmental damages. It'd probably triple their budget. :drool:

Like O2 said:
I hate that so many women and children in Africa have no water. I hate that it's the women who walk for miles to get water. I hate that "simple" diseases kill so many children in Africa because they have no meds or water. :sad:

All that said, I have no idea where to donate...I wish Bono would pick one he trusts and tell us.

I would also want to donate it to help Africa, and have no idea where to donate the money to insure that is best spent.

Besides the Africa/AIDS charities that I like, there's one that hasn't been mentioned yet: the Dave Thomas Foundation that offers assistance to families who want to adopt older children. There are so many older children who desperately need loving families--and there are families who would love to have them.

Locally, I would create a scholarship fund in my grandfather's name at a learning center in my hometown. They're based out of a housing project, and the kids who live there go to the learning center for tutoring, after-school activities, sports, life-skills clubs, etc. A lot of the kids won't ever be able to afford college, but they're bright and they work hard, which is how my grandfather was. The scholarships would be awarded on the basis of performance in school (not so much grades, but diligence and citizenship), extracurricular activities, and ambition to succeed. :)

Back
Top Bottom