Youth Obsessed Culture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I don't know-when I was in my twenties I didn't think about "aging" or using anti-aging products, I guess I know now I should have. I spent way too much time in the sun too. Nothing wrong with looking your best but there's something sad about this. Like the article says, what about the self-esteem issues?

Too many frozen faces in Hollywood, maybe that has something to do with it.. and lots of money to be made by doctors and companies by convincing people they are not worthy in whatever way. To be honest if I had the $ I might get Botox, the surgery scares me too much.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051225...JXH8NpH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

"Forget "40 is the new 30." Now even twentysomethings are joining the quest for eternal youth by using anti-aging products and wrinkle treatments.

Some young adults say they want to reverse the effects the sun has already had on their skin. Others already are feeling social pressure to retain their fresh-faced looks.

"Instead of starting when you're 40 or 45, you might as well start now," says Joanne Katsigiannis, a 24-year-old from suburban Chicago who's been using anti-aging products for about two years.

Like a lot of people her age, Katsigiannis once spent hours at tanning booths and out in the sun without using much sunscreen. She thought she looked better tan, until she realized her skin was starting to scar.

For Leslie Speyers, it's as much about keeping up appearances as anything.

"Vanity is probably the main reason I started using anti-aging products, as superficial as it is," says Speyers, a 24-year-old who works for a publishing company in Grand Rapids, Mich. She notes that maintaining a youthful look is a common worry among her friends — including one who's begun to dye her dark brown hair to hide some gray and another who uses skin-firming lotion on her legs because she thinks they look too flabby.

Both genders agree that women bear the brunt of this kind of anti-aging pressure — though not exclusively."

This is just another glimpse of our feel-good culture. We are obsessed with how we feel, and how we make others feel. Thoughts are no longer significant.

It seems relatively easy to tap into this market. Design something that will make someone feel better (with relatively instant results) and people will line up to buy it.

Where else can we fear the threat of terrorist anthrax attacks, yet inject botulism (scientific liberties taken with that one) in our face?

I think it's very bad to be obsessed with how you feel (about looks) when you let it make you feel badly about yourself and your worth as a human being. Sometimes especially for women, this culture can make you feel utterly worthless. After all, what does it matter what's in your heart and head as long as you have no lines, wrinkles, or crow's feet. It gets very tough to think rationally when so much about expectations regarding looks is irrational.

Look at how elderly people are treated in this culture, I think it speaks volumes about how youth obsessed we are.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't know-when I was in my twenties I didn't think about "aging" or using anti-aging products, I guess I know now I should have.

I'm in my 40's, still don't use anti-aging products, and I don't think I look like an old hag. Most people actually think I am younger than I am. Sometimes I think not really worrying about it helps. I've often seen women my age (and even younger) who are obsessed with being perfectly dressed and made up all the time and (to me at least) they look staid and boring and old. I think so much of how old one seems is in one's attitude.

Do I notice differences in my skin from when I was in my 20's? Of course. I don't think the changes look horrible though. I'm starting to get a few gray hairs too. Big deal. I'm ok with it. I guess I figure if people don't like me as I am that's just too damned bad.

Re: Re: Youth Obsessed Culture

indra said:

I guess I figure if people don't like me as I am that's just too damned bad.

Indra, you rock.

I say this as I'm stocking up on Oil of Olay and wishing I had money for Botox (I'd never seriously get it, I'm just saying the fact that I'm 27 and thinking about this crap means this thread is spot on :reject: ).

I've been using anti-wrinkle eye products since I was 20. (I'm 27 now. ;) ) I was a lifeguard all through my teens and I knew I had to take care of my skin. :shrug:

As for Botox, if I had the cash I'd probably do it when/if I needed it. :reject:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I've been using anti-wrinkle eye products since I was 20. (I'm 27 now. ;) ) I was a lifeguard all through my teens and I knew I had to take care of my skin. :shrug:

As for Botox, if I had the cash I'd probably do it when/if I needed it. :reject:

Fuck, who am I kidding. If I had the cash I'd get that done, too.

I think taking care of your skin should just be a given, no matter what your age. :shrug:

We all want to be thought of as beautiful (or whatever the male equivalent is. I'm too tired to go wordsearching). And we limit what we think of as beautiful.

I have a ton of flaws I'd like to correct. But I kind of like the lines. The older I get the more interesting my face gets. I use expression more than I used to. I watch people's expressions more. There's always been beauty in youth. Sometimes there's boringness too. I can't control how people see me. I get too insecure. But since I wasn't beautiful even when I was young, I learned to strive for interesting.

And I color the hell out of my hair.:wink:

If other people want to spend money on anti-aging products and plastic surgery and that sort of thing, I say that's their business. It's their body, they can do what they wish with it.

I personally, however, have no desire to do that. I've never really understood why some people find it so "wrong" to age, why people freak out about it so much. It's going to happen to everybody, whether they like it or not. And while I'm all for letting people do whatever they want to their own bodies, at the same time, people can't outsmart the natural aging process forever-it will catch up to them eventually no matter what they do to themselves. indra is right-worry too much about getting older, obsess over it enough, and it will show. But like I said, it's up to each person to decide how they want to deal with it all.

As for the idea of a "youth-obsessed" culture-it seems odd that people find that strange because yeah, obviously the youngest generation will tend to be the media's main focus-they are the ones who will be running things someday. I certainly do agree, though, that the elderly population shouldn't be cast aside-they're a very valuable part of society and their input into things can't be dismissed.

Angela

I'll have to agree with Moonlit Angel... Aging is totaly natural ! There's nothing more natural than that actualy. I'm not interested in products or surgeries as I like myself how I am and will probably still later as long as I'm healthy and I feel good in my body. But I don't mind others using anti-aging products... it's not like it's going to change anything in my life anyway ;)
For the sun, no risks. I don't tan ;)

BonosSaint said:
I can't control how people see me. I get too insecure

You certainly are interesting and that makes you beautiful as far as I'm concerned :)

But how much can we control how we see ourselves-when the culture is the way it is? Obviously there are other factors such as how we were raised, other ways in which we get our self esteem. I find it interesting that it appears that only females talked about how they view themselves in this thread. Yes the issues are there for men too, but there is a double standard-from Hollywood to the average person. Last night I saw that new Jennifer Aniston movie and Kevin Costner most certainly has not had botox, yet he is still getting many roles. And of course he's paired with an actress in her thirties, I suppose it's a step forward that she's not in her twenties(but of course she barely has a line). You can name countless other actors in that position. But how many actresses can you name? Desperate Housewives is touted as some big "advance" for "older" women, but Felicity appears to be the only one of them over 40 who isn't botoxed. I'm not faulting them for doing it, I just think it's false to say that it is some sort of breakthrough. And look at their bodies too.

I just think it's scary when anything over 30 begins to be viewed as "old" and when people in their 20's are using anti-aging products and worrying about getting "old" . Is 18 going to be considered "over the hill"?

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Fuck, who am I kidding. If I had the cash I'd get that done, too.

I think taking care of your skin should just be a given, no matter what your age. :shrug:
:hmm: Will you ever tell a boyfriend, you need to accept me as i am ?

btw, Bottox is not realy taking care of your skin, it is more like hiding wrinkles. Using creme`s is better i guess.

Back
Top Bottom