Youth Obsessed Culture - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 12-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 12:20 AM
Originally posted by BonosSaint
I can't control how people see me. I get too insecure
You certainly are interesting and that makes you beautiful as far as I'm concerned

But how much can we control how we see ourselves-when the culture is the way it is? Obviously there are other factors such as how we were raised, other ways in which we get our self esteem. I find it interesting that it appears that only females talked about how they view themselves in this thread. Yes the issues are there for men too, but there is a double standard-from Hollywood to the average person. Last night I saw that new Jennifer Aniston movie and Kevin Costner most certainly has not had botox, yet he is still getting many roles. And of course he's paired with an actress in her thirties, I suppose it's a step forward that she's not in her twenties(but of course she barely has a line). You can name countless other actors in that position. But how many actresses can you name? Desperate Housewives is touted as some big "advance" for "older" women, but Felicity appears to be the only one of them over 40 who isn't botoxed. I'm not faulting them for doing it, I just think it's false to say that it is some sort of breakthrough. And look at their bodies too.

I just think it's scary when anything over 30 begins to be viewed as "old" and when people in their 20's are using anti-aging products and worrying about getting "old" . Is 18 going to be considered "over the hill"?

Old 12-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #17
I Serve Larry's Stick
Local Time: 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Sue DeNym
All of you who are so eager for Botox; do you know what that stuff actually is?!

I think I'll stick to skin lotion.
Let's hear it for botulism!

Old 12-29-2005, 08:03 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:20 AM
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Fuck, who am I kidding. If I had the cash I'd get that done, too.

I think taking care of your skin should just be a given, no matter what your age.
Will you ever tell a boyfriend, you need to accept me as i am ?

btw, Bottox is not realy taking care of your skin, it is more like hiding wrinkles. Using creme`s is better i guess.