Your views are closest to which interferencer ? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2004, 02:44 PM   #31
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
What I like most about FYM is there is essentially a lack of "teaming" - the tendancy to support a person simply because they are on your side.

In general it would be verry interesting to drink some cups of tea with you and talk so that i finally would be able to answer that question

Old 05-31-2004, 03:48 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Lillitha!!!

I know I should just give up and join Xeidon, but one forum addiction is really enough for me right now...
hey!

you know, i don't have the largest post count there either, somehow undergrad studies took up the vast majority of my time. all boards have their individual merits.

Old 05-31-2004, 06:21 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:39 PM
i also agree much with the lovely ms. lilly boofhead.

as well as dread, melon, salome, pax and angelinaharlemofozville. i'm not so consistent with any party (or thought process for that matter) so it would be much too difficult to pick just one. i'm sure i've agreed with everyone here at one time or another.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 03:39 PM
I tend to be more of a lurker than a poster, but I check out this forum often. I have some sort of writers block and can't seem to get my thoughts into words timely enough to bother to post.

I also find myself agreeing with most people at one time or another but I find my views are almost always right on with verte76, Sherry Darling and Melon (to make a short list).

Old 06-01-2004, 02:59 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 07:39 PM
The reason I enjoy posting on this forum (which unfortunately isn't very often) is because of the diversity of topics and opinions.

I may not agree with a lot of posts but that is the nature of communities - to engage in meaningful discussions with respect for other opinions beside your own.

I thank U2 and the webmasters for creating this forum.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

&

Old 06-01-2004, 04:52 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

HAHA!!!! I am in good company!
Old 06-01-2004, 05:01 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

When I see the nbc logo, I hear that little chime in my head.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:05 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:39 AM
For a second, I thought you meant my logo
Old 06-01-2004, 07:39 PM   #40
New Yorker

This may be OT, but verte I see you as a very good source for MIddle Eastern history, so a question.

What is the difference or samness between Wahhabis'(?) and Shaira law?

I find the Sharia more offensive?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:06 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Wahhabism is a strict form of Islam, while Sharia law is the law supposedly prescribed by the Koran.

In other words, a Wahhabi Muslim generally advocates for the practice of Sharia law, and its associated (and often cruel) punishments, rather than secular law.

Melon
Old 06-01-2004, 09:41 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Wow! Sharia is Islamic jurisprudence, and is more than just the Koran. There are other traditions incorporated in Islamic law, like the Sunnah of the Sunni Muslims, who are the great majority of Muslims. A minority of Muslims are Shia, but it so happens that a majority of the people of Iraq are Shia. I got headaches trying to figure out the differences between different Muslim traditions when I was working on my class on the Turks last year, and I decided to screw it and not put it in my class notes! Before I started to work on that class, I was only familiar with those words from the press in Iraq. For the record, most Turks are Sunni, but they do not have Sharia in Turkey as it's officially a secular state. The Wahhabists are followers of a Sunni reformer who worked with the House of Al-Saud in the eighteenth century, and continue to today. They base their entire legal code on Islamic or Arabic traditions. They have "religious police" that enforce very strict, conservative laws. They abolished changes that were made in Islam prior to the eighteenth cenury and went back to seventh-century practices and beliefs. They are Islamic "purists" and don't like to be called Wahhabists. Only their critics call them Wahhabists. Some other Islamic states are more moderate. They do not require women to veil in all Islamic states. In Kuwait, they recently increased political power for women, women are allowed to drive. Bahrain is actually pretty good as per women's rights are concerned but they did ban "The Passion", claiming that showing holy figures (Jesus is regarded as a holy figure in Islam but he's not considered God) that graphically, visually, is prohibited by Sharia. By the same token they don't have movie theatres in Saudi Arabia at all. I personally would not want to live in any of these countries! There are scads of Islamic sites, mostly Sunni, but I've hit a few Shia sites. I'm not sure this answers your question Scarletwine. I've got stuff floating around in my head getting ready to give the class on the Turks again this weekend.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:10 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Yep...another good interference thread...goes....way out of control....

Old 06-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Yep...another good interference thread...goes....way out of control....

Carried by the Evil Thread Thieves.