your SUV subsidizes terror, even if you have a yellow ribbon on it - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2005, 06:31 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:35 AM
I'm not looking for any sympathy, nor would I ever expect any from you since it's pretty clear where you stand on the issues.

Don't you think calling all SUV owners terrorist enablers is a bit much? Perhaps a broad generalization, which only makes things worse? It's no different than me calling you a baby killer if you support abortion rights.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:34 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
I'm not looking for any sympathy, nor would I ever expect any from you since it's pretty clear where you stand on the issues.

Don't you think calling all SUV owners terrorist enablers is a bit much? Perhaps a broad generalization, which only makes things worse? It's no different than me calling you a baby killer if you support abortion rights.

to be more accurate, you'd have to call me a "supporter of baby killing," as i'm not actually performing abortions.

while my comment was tongue in cheek, there's no question that the consumption of Middle East oil goes into the pockets of terrorist supporters, whereas the defintion of a fetus as a "baby" is highly, highly contentious.

it's obvious that we can't get by without some middle eastern oil, and even though i don't own a car i still take public transportation and ride on airplanes so, yes, i do consume gas.

the difference is my consumption isn't gratiutious, where as an SUV is a symbol of such gluttony. they are totally unnecessary for your average driver.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:35 AM
All I will say is thank you for this thread.

Irvine511 may not win any brownie points for tact in this thread. but his brutal honesty and unwillingness to flinch from his point of view is quite refreshing.

I also happen to agree with his assessment of SUVs and the support of terrorists.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #34
She's the One

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

didn't a whole bunch of Red States vote to make that illegal in November?

I drive a small suv, a Honda CRV. It gets in the mid-20s per gallon, takes me down most of the dirt roads I want to go on, hauls my friends to White Stripes concerts, and you can cram a motorcycle frame into the back of it.

(This last thing was a requirement until Steve bought himself a little Toyota pickup when he started grad school two years ago.)

I don't complain about my gas mileage, and when Honda makes a hybrid CRV that has a lifespan suitable for my traveling needs (20000 miles per year), I'll be waiting in line at the dealership.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

to be more accurate, you'd have to call me a "supporter of baby killing," as i'm not actually performing abortions.

while my comment was tongue in cheek, there's no question that the consumption of Middle East oil goes into the pockets of terrorist supporters, whereas the defintion of a fetus as a "baby" is highly, highly contentious.

it's obvious that we can't get by without some middle eastern oil, and even though i don't own a car i still take public transportation and ride on airplanes so, yes, i do consume gas.

the difference is my consumption isn't gratiutious, where as an SUV is a symbol of such gluttony. they are totally unnecessary for your average driver.
Do you have documents from ExxonMobile or Chevron proving that oil money goes straight into supporting terrorists? I would agrue that the point could be just as contentious.

We use oil to heat our homes, cook our food, provide electricity..etc. A lot of the products we use on a daily basis all are reliant upon some petroleum based product for manufacturing.

It all could be considered gluttenous, it would be very pretentious to say you don't contribute to the problem because you do not drive an SUV.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #36
She's the One

Quote:

Do you have documents from ExxonMobile or Chevron proving that oil money goes straight into supporting terrorists? I would agrue that the point could be just as contentious.

Well, there was Unocal and the Nigerian goverment, who were/are certainly nasty to their citizens. Oh, and Unocal had the full support of Pat Robertson in Nigeria.

And then there was Royal Dutch Shell supporting the South African government and apartheid.

Sure, these are on the past, but oil companies do not have a good track record, no matter what Chevron says that "People Do."
Old 08-23-2005, 06:47 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

We use oil to heat our homes, cook our food, provide electricity..etc. A lot of the products we use on a daily basis all are reliant upon some petroleum based product for manufacturing.

It all could be considered gluttenous, it would be very pretentious to say you don't contribute to the problem because you do not drive an SUV.

read the original article at the beginning of the thread.

as i said, one cannot avoid the use of oil in the modern world. indeed, we are all implicated, but some more than others.

one can avoid gratuitous consumption of oil by doing many things -- wash your clothes with cold water; don't leave the AC on all day if you won't be home; ride your bike if you can; carpool; don't drive an SUV; buy a hybrid car; turn the lights off when you leave the room; etc.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
All I will say is thank you for this thread.

Irvine511 may not win any brownie points for tact in this thread. but his brutal honesty and unwillingness to flinch from his point of view is quite refreshing.

I also happen to agree with his assessment of SUVs and the support of terrorists.

you're right, i'm not being terribly tactful.

but it's been a long day.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:34 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:35 PM
This is somewhat offtopic but my eye alighted on the mention of Russia as being 'awash' in oil, something I hear a lot these days. No doubt it's true but I (in my general ignorance) wonder how this is the case, as I was of the understanding that the old Soviet Union went broke at least partly because it started exhausting/overdrilling its oil reserves. Did they discover new oil?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:48 AM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 09:35 AM
well, i wouldnt go as far as saying SUV owners support terrorism, but id say they are inconsiderate, deluded fools

as for russian oil, russia has proved oil reserves of 71.000 million barrels . this is 6.1% of the world oil reserve. so they didnt run out of oil. meanwhile iraq has 115.000 million, iran has 135.000 million and saudi arabia has 262.000 million barrels of oil reserves. I have a whole book full of these figures so if you want to know anything else just ask
Old 08-24-2005, 03:55 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

To turn a common phrase used in political discussion "if you don't like SUV's, don't buy one".

Is it safe to leave the issue there?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:57 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
This is somewhat offtopic but my eye alighted on the mention of Russia as being 'awash' in oil, something I hear a lot these days. No doubt it's true but I (in my general ignorance) wonder how this is the case, as I was of the understanding that the old Soviet Union went broke at least partly because it started exhausting/overdrilling its oil reserves. Did they discover new oil?
Unlikely. The dangerous reality is that the total world oil production level has passed its peak.

We will face ever diminishing supplies of oil - information that is underplayed due to its potentially devastating affect on the world markets.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
To turn a common phrase used in political discussion "if you don't like SUV's, don't buy one".

Is it safe to leave the issue there?
so we just let all the idiots carry on ruining the environment

personally, I believe that rolling over and accepting this kind of shit is the worst thing anyone can do.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 AM   #44
The Fly

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Never mind SUV's I bet alot of Americans own cars that they don't even need!
Old 08-24-2005, 05:06 AM   #45
Refugee

So, I guess buying my Hummer is out of the question now.

I was only going to drive it on the weekends!