Your Ideas on Alternative Christian Worship Services - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?
I am kind of in a strange position on this topic myself. My parents are all HUGE into contemporary worship. In fact, my mother cannot go to a church that doesn't have guitars/drums etc. without saying something like she "feels the devil in the place."
I think God himself would raise an eyebrow at this, frankly.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #47
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:20 PM
I prefer traditional services, quite a traditionalist Catholic in that sense, the sight of any kind of rock band in a Church just seems very cheesy and desperate to be 'youthful'. I hate the woman that sings at 1:00 mass on Sundays, her songs are absolutely awful, again contemporary worship songs seem a tad trite and cheesy to me, they aren't as well crafted as the more traditional hymns.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:20 AM
I do want it to be known that I love my mother. We just need to straighten some things out. We're working at it nearly every time we meet. It's just hard because she is the typical bounce around the issue so as not to ruffle feathers type. I do love her dearly.

The point above is one that gets me all the time. Someone earlier had posted that it seems some don't even read the words to the songs they are singing. When I think of this, I think of "reading" to mean comprehending and possibly even growing b/c of the lyrics. There are some contemporary songs that I feel do allow you to worship. But there are some that I actually cringe when I read the words. Yet, na na na na na na is a great way to praise God eh?

I dont' want to bash any style of worship. But I do feel that if you were to read the words to some of the songs written today, you would get a theme of here I am. Me. God loves ME. I, Me Me, I. It just doesn't sit well with me.

That doesn't mean however, that if you like contemporary Christian music, you do not sit well with me.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #49
Forum Moderator

What is a 'fill-in-the-blank' sermon? You mean you're literally supposed to go through and dutifully fill in the missing words as they're spoken to make sure you're listening or something?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:20 AM
yep. If we're thinking of the same thing, it's like an outline that is inside the bulletin that has blank spaces. It would look like this:

1. Jesus _____ on Calvary
a. For our ______
b. We should _______ him

Obviously, this is a ridiculous example. But you can get the point. Unless something different is meant by "fill in the blank sermon."
Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #51
Forum Moderator

I was just asking because Lies used the term earlier in the thread (I realize that post was old, and probably should've quoted it first, sorry). It's just something I'm completely unfamiliar with, and I find it hard to understand why anyone would apply that method to the process of listening to a sermon. I am aware that some 'motivational speakers' also do it, in fact back in my business management days I once had to attend a seminar where we were required to do that--follow along in a handout, and dutifully fill in the blanks when we heard the speaker say the words. I thought it was an embarrassingly, insultingly inappropriate technique to use with adults--with regard to heard information at least, that's a method I associate with early-primary-grade children who are still acquiring basic listening skills, aren't ready yet for 'oral comprehension' skills like paraphrasing or identifying key concepts, and need this type of nudge simply to facilitate sufficient concentration to recognize which words are being said. I just don't understand why anyone would do it with adults; sure there are all kinds of visual and other aids which can be helpful for reinforcing and streamlining key points and all that, but I don't see how literally filling in the blanks with whatever words you just heard helps a grownup with that.

Perhaps I'm not understanding correctly how churches use this method.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Do you get marked for every proper answer? Or false answer?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

I like to go to the youth Mass at my Catholic church. They sing more contemporary songs (still not secular, ooh that's not allowed-but they do Lean On Me sometimes) and they have drums and guitar and they clap and all that... And it just feels good to see all the teens who are involved.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I was just asking because Lies used the term earlier in the thread (I realize that post was old, and probably should've quoted it first, sorry).

In that case, it refers to some churches that give you an insert as part of their printed bulletin/Order of Worship. The paper contains an outline of the sermon and usually has some blanks to fill in or blank space for your own notes.

Quote:
I thought it was an embarrassingly, insultingly inappropriate technique to use with adults--with regard to heard information at least, that's a method I associate with early-primary-grade children who are still acquiring basic listening skills, aren't ready yet for 'oral comprehension' skills like paraphrasing or identifying key concepts, and need this type of nudge simply to facilitate sufficient concentration to recognize which words are being said.
Pretty much.

As for it's purpose, your guess is as good as mine....

At my home church, if you want a copy of the actual sermon, you can get one, as well as an audio or video tape. They provide these for people like my gran who cannot physically attend church but want to stay involved.

I wonder if the "fill-in-the-blank" pastors have typewritten copies of their sermons. I understand no one simply reads from a copy, but at least making the real copies available shows that the pastor did actually think the entire thing through and has a document worthy of publication. Then if you find one sermon particularly good, you can request the full copy so you have a permanent reference to the scripture and other sources the pastor cited during the sermon.

For me, a paster needs to first and foremost be able to do great exegesis on their own, without only ever referring to other people's work or interpretations from commentaries. S/he also should be as good a writer/linguist as a motivational speaker. Pastors that never have anything published or printed in full make me a little leery...