Your Humanitarian side?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
What have you done to help your fellow man and woman?

--I have served food to the homeless on many occasions at St. Anthony's dining room in San Francisco.

--I bought a meal for a homeless person.

-- I helped a family who Immigated to the United States into there home.

--- My mother and I have collected garbage bags full of cloths and took it with us to Guatemala and went to the small poor villages and gave away the cloths for free. I plan on doing that on my next vacation.

Shamefully little, I feel:

- I donate all of my old clothing accessories and clothes my friends don't want, usually to specific people (like finding requests from refugee families)

- Spent a week removing mold and installing new insulation in low income homes in North Carolina after a flood

- Spent a week in NYC after Sept. 11, sorting every donation that came in through the Red Cross

- Spent a month in northern Tanzania, visiting churches, government and health officials, and NGOs (orphanages and AIDS programs)

- I did a few things in college like arranging for a speaker to talk about AIDS in Africa and having people come to a table and send in form letters to their congress persons

- Overall, I try to make important global problems - like disease epidemics, poverty, and injustice - important to me, by studying them in school, attending guest lectures and rallies, and telling people I know about the organizations I support

- I want to start a book program where I gather textbooks and have them distributed in rural areas in developing countries. When I went to Tanzania, we each had one checked bag and one checked box of books that we dropped off at colleges and schools. Books are expensive even for me, and yet I always have like 30 textbooks I don't want and can't sell, so I want to get them from other students. The prof. who I'd do it with (because he goes to Africa every year) hasn't wrote back yet, I think he's on vacation.

I was a founding member of the African Well Fund. We were inspired by Bono's trip to Africa with Paul O'Neill. We found out that wells that provide clean water for people are not at all expensive, about $1,000 apiece, according to the MTV report on the trip. So, we formed a Board of Directors and started raising money. I served on the Board for two years, and then became just a regular volunteer as this was more my cup of tea. I have done several paintings that have gone to auctions to raise money for the Fund. I have several paintings available for future auctions.

I sponsor two foster kids, one in Haiti, Josnel and one in Guatemala, Deicy. It's not much but I hope it helps improve their lives even just a little.

I helped raise $ 5000 for the Red Cross tsunami relief fund by harassing my coworkers to donate money.

Other than that, I am woefully inadequate in my contribution to my fellow man.:(

My kids do the shoe box for christmas for Samaritans purse.

We look through the catalogue a few times a year and send medical supplies and mosquito nets to Africa.

Sent money to the Tsunami Relief.

Sent money clothes, shoes, towels and a crib mattress to Katrina victims.

Helped raised money for Island Harvest, food supply.

In our elementry school this year I would like to raise money to buy a guide dog for someone in need.

bonoman said:
This reminds me of when the Catholic Church used to read out the total donations to the Church a paticular family had made throughout the year.

A church I used to attend published a booklet each year with the names of every registered family and how much they gave to the church that year.

I always hated that.

I am assuming most if not all of you are way younger than me and you should all be very proud of yourselves for what you have done/are doing.

My first experience as a humanitarian was in grade 1 when I got the nuns to raise money for an earthquake disaster (from memory it was in Peru).

I have sponsored a child in the Phillipines for 5 years now and contributed to Oxfam for 3 years.

What am I doing at the moment? Click on the link in my signature to find out.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

:cute: Those kids are adorable! Nice work :up:

I've just read the article on your visit to Tanzania. What an amazing experience for you and your pictures are absolutely stunning. The idea of me one day going to Africa is becoming less and less of an unreal idea - who knows?

I love this statement you made:

It kind of recharges you to see that small things are actually saving lives and putting smiles on kids' faces.

Thanks.

:hug:

meegannie said:
I keep an Excel spreadsheet of all the good deeds I do and update it daily. I'll post it later! :happy:
:hug:
I also prefer Excel to Word for these sorts of things
my colleagues all used to think that it's better to do it in Word
but I like Excels flexibility

bonoman said:
This reminds me of when the Catholic Church used to read out the total donations to the Church a paticular family had made throughout the year.

I do what I can, and try to help my fellow person.

:yes:

same here - do what i can and try not to pat myself on the back for it

Let's see...

I donate money to causes I believe in including the African Well Fund, the Humane Society, and Unicef.

I donated all the proceeds from a marketing project I did to Hurricane Katrina relief.

And I use my writing skills to write articles about people who doing things to make this world a better place, like our lovely Liv!

I've done volunteer work in my community, especially for the Hunger Task Force. I want to get back into volunteering. I really miss it.

I quit eating meat about a year ago. I give food to a homeless guy at the light on my way to work each morning. I donate clothes & recycle. I dont buy newspapers. I should do more.

Back
Top Bottom