Your buddy Michael Moore - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Normal Your buddy Michael Moore

Just ran across this article from the Independent.

Click Here

The second paragraph reads as follows:

"What we did not expect was to feel so enraged at one point that we almost walked out. It was when Moore went into a rant about how the passengers on the planes on 11 September were scaredy-cats because they were mostly white. If the passengers had included black men, he claimed, those killers, with their puny bodies and unimpressive small knives, would have been crushed by the dudes, who as we all know take no disrespect from anybody. God save us from such stupid white men, especially now, when in the US and the UK, black people's lives are being ripped to shreds by drugs, lawlessness, fear and frightful violence plus the endless circle of racism, exclusion and incarceration. This is not awesome, Mr Moore; it is a calamity, for descendants of slaves unimaginably more so."

Old 01-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:20 AM
from The Guardian, Wednesday November 13, 2002

further elaboration:

"Why didn't they cross the line?" asks Michael Moore. He's talking about the parents and police who hesitated for hours to enter the building where America's worst school shootings had just taken place and children lay bleeding.

"Nobody wants to get their hands dirty," he answers his own question in disgust. "Nobody wants to get hurt. We've all given up."

Nobody could accuse Moore of not crossing the line. Nor of giving up. Moore is a one-man crusade against feebleness.

He's a wake-up call, a call to action, a kick in the mental backside. Crossing the line is what he does.

There's no line harder for Americans to cross than September 11. But Moore steps across that one, too. "I've been reluctant to talk about it because it sounds harsh," he says. But reluctance is not in Moore's DNA. He says the kind of people who fly on airlines are people who believe that when there's a mess, someone else will always clean it up. So they let the hijackers capture the planes armed only with knives. "But do you think that if there had been 90 African Americans passengers they'd have just sat there? Or 90 coal miners? Or 90 skinheads?"

Old 01-07-2003, 01:30 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:20 AM
What a bunch of BS. What would Mr. Moore have done if he were on the first plane to hit the Towers? I'd like to see if Mr. Moore has the balls to stand in front of each family member who lost someone on one of those planes and say that.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:38 PM   #4
War Child

First of all the link you posted dosen't work.

Second, you posted someone's opinion, someone who was offended and not the actual words Michael said. We could have endless arguments over some nameless faceless persons offense, but what the info that needs to be given are the words that offend.

Third Michael uses comedy when talking about otherwise non-funny situations to make them easier to talk about. If you turn the TV on to any comedy show, you will see ppl talk about "white ppl do this, latinos do that" etc. And if that isoffensive to you, then that's the issue, not the fact that Michael Moore said it, but that it's a comedic tactic used at all.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Um yea, I'd like to see Mr. Moore say this in front every single family member who lost someone on one of those planes. Oh, don't get upset, its just comedy. I wonder how many of the family members would agree with that?
Old 01-07-2003, 02:16 PM   #6
War Child

Well it's been over a year now, and some ppl don't think it should be joked about at all, and some ppl use humor as a way to get thru tought times.
It's very presumptuous of you to think you know how those thousands of ppl would feel. Michael Moore lost a few close ppl on that day as well, so there's at least one person using humor to get thru a tough thing.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:54 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't presume to know, but Michael Moore does! Its very presumptuous of Michael Moore to think that its ok to use this type of comedy which might be funny in his mind, but certainly not to others who lost loved ones on those planes! Did it ever occur to him to keep his "healing comedy" in private for himself, since after all he supposedly said it to "heal himself" and get through it.

Its presumptuous of Michael Moore to state what certain individuals would and would not do in a certain situation. Mr. Moore is not very intelligent if he thinks individuals behavior in a certain situation can be explained by race and economic class. The more I read his statements the more it appears he knows nothing about the people who lost their lives on those planes or the manner in which events happened on 9/11. Strange that he would make those statements in light of what Todd Beamer and several other "white middle class men"(as he would call them) did on a flight over Pennsylvania!

"He says the kind of people who fly on airlines are people who believe that when there's a mess, someone else will always clean it up. So they let the hijackers capture the planes armed only with knives."

Has Mr. Moore ever been on a plane that was hijacked before? What would he of done if he were on the first plane to hit the towers?
Old 01-07-2003, 03:41 PM   #8
War Child

Perhaps you should do some research on MM.
He has been in a hostage situation before if memory serves me...

And it seems to me that the issue, if there is an issue, is comedians making light of Sept. 11.
Not that MM said something, because he is not the only person to make comments about 9-11.
Or perhaps ppl are just looking for a way to make MM look bad
Old 01-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
First of all the link you posted dosen't work.
Is this suddenly a crime? Are you implying he did it on purpose?
I will post a link for him. ]http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=366725

Quote:
Second, you posted someone's opinion, someone who was offended and not the actual words Michael said. We could have endless arguments over some nameless faceless persons offense, but what the info that needs to be given are the words that offend. [/B]

Yes, he did post what someone typed. He never claimed they were Michael Moore's words. It is pretty clear it is someone presenting the words and why they were offended by them.

Quote:
Third Michael uses comedy when talking about otherwise non-funny situations to make them easier to talk about. If you turn the TV on to any comedy show, you will see ppl talk about "white ppl do this, latinos do that" etc. And if that is offensive to you, then that's the issue, not the fact that Michael Moore said it, but that it's a comedic tactic used at all. [/B]
Right, and Trent Lott said his words for comedic effect, and BOOM we can hang him out to try! It is a double standard. Michael Moore's made comments implying that one race is superior to another in that situation. That is probably one of the first examples I have seen that actually fit the definition of racisim.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:07 PM   #10
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Right, and Trent Lott said his words for comedic effect, and BOOM we can hang him out to try! It is a double standard.
um yes, there is a double standard between politicians and journalists
what do you expect?

I don't know what Mr. Moore is trying to achieve with this kind of reasoning so - as far as I'm concerned - he could keep things like this to himself
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-07-2003, 04:10 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:20 AM
I like Moore a lot, but this bit is not his finest hour. I don't understand why he chose the passsengers on the 9/11 hijacked planes to prove his point. A stretch to say the least.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #12
us3
The Fly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
Perhaps you should do some research on MM.

Or perhaps ppl are just looking for a way to make MM look bad
[/QUOTE

research?.... Notwithstanding several paeans posted on this board regarding MM, nor the sheer entertainment value of his "documentaries", there is evidence detailing inaccuracies in his "documentaries" Cursory searches on the internet will provide a treasure trove.

With regard to the current subject matter, nor detracting from the racist stereotype paraphrased by the author of the article, one is left to wonder whether MM observations are a classic case of projection.

Finally, Ppl, making MM look bad? I think he doesn't need any help in that dept.

http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/

Satirist Moore Storms Out of Britain

American satirist Michael Moore has stormed out of Britain after a bust up with the London theatre hosting his one-man show. The Bowling For Columbine moviemaker performed Michael Moore - Live! to packed audiences for two months before Christmas at The Roundhouse in Camden, North London. But on the penultimate night he reportedly flew into a rage, verbally attacked everyone associated with the theatre because he thought he wasn't being paid enough. During the performance he complained he was making just $750 a night. A member of the stage crew says, "He completely lost the plot. He stormed around all day screaming at everyone, even the 5-an-hour bar staff, telling them how we were all conmen and useless. Then he went on stage and did it in public." Staff retaliated by refusing to work the following night, which led to the show being held up for an hour. Eventually he made a groveling apology to staff and the angry audience finally took to their seats. A source reports that Moore then packed his bags and flew to New York the next day without saying thank you or goodbye to anyone.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:11 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

In Michael Moore's defense.
It should be taken into account that shortly before making these hostile remarks
he had just viewed that war-mongering, film, "The Two Towers".
Old 01-07-2003, 05:26 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yep, that definitely explains and excuses his remarks and behavior.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:09 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
um yes, there is a double standard between politicians and journalists
what do you expect?
Ya, I know.....I thought about that about an hour later....I have a different standard for both.