Your buddy Michael Moore - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2003, 07:55 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:07 PM
actually, if you were in that same situation you would not have fought either. Pilots and flight attendants are taught that they should comply with a hijacker's demands because in most cases, they just want to make a statement and it puts less lives at risk to go along with the hijackers.

Do you think those passengers knew what was going to happen to them? Tom Beamer et all may be heroes but would they have acted the same if they didn't know what had happened already.

No one knew where those planes were going, no one knew those buildings were going to collapse. Hindsight is 20/20.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:20 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
In Michael Moore's defense.
It should be taken into account that shortly before making these hostile remarks
he had just viewed that war-mongering, film, "The Two Towers".
I take it this is Mooreist satire?

~U2Alabama

Old 01-07-2003, 09:31 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

I agree with what sharky stated.

Melon
Old 01-07-2003, 09:43 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 03:07 PM
I wasn't implying that he was lying, I was letting him know that the link didn't work.

I think the issue here is using race in as humor.
I have watched standup camedians for years do their routine on how white ppl act this way and black ppl act that way. It does not offend me. I know the difference between comedy and actual racism

So to me it seems like ppl just want to jump on Moore because they don't like him to begin with, if it is a problem with him, then I would hope they carry that sentiment over in other areas, like Saturday Night Live, or Comic View.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:47 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

i agree w sharky too.

DB9
Old 01-07-2003, 10:32 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Sharky,

"actually, if you were in that same situation you would not have fought either. Pilots and flight attendants are taught that they should comply with a hijacker's demands because in most cases, they just want to make a statement and it puts less lives at risk to go along with the hijackers."

"Do you think those passengers knew what was going to happen to them?"

Thats my point. Moore makes the statement that the "white" people on the plane just sat there and did nothing. Mr. Moore obviously does not understand what you just stated above.

Sparkygrrl,

I think anyone that expressed the view Moore said about 9/11 is wrong and certainly does not understand what happened on that day.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:20 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Give it up, Sparkysgrrrl.

Michael Moore essentially said that the passengers on the planes that hit the WTC and *died* were fucking cowards, and then he said that they're cowards because they're white middle-to-upper-class people.

Sharky hit the nail on the head above. Unless you know you're going to die, you cooperate with the hijackers because there's an excellent chance you'll escape safely if you sit tight. The hijackers said that they had a bomb (which has happened before) and that they were going to land the plane safely if everyone cooperated (which happens most of the time, unlike crashing into a building, which had never before happened in a terrorist attack). How were the passengers on the first two planes to know what would have happened?
Old 01-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Give it up, Sparkysgrrrl.

Michael Moore essentially said that the passengers on the planes that hit the WTC and *died* were fucking cowards, and then he said that they're cowards because they're white middle-to-upper-class people.

Maybe 90 boyz from the hood or 90 pro athletes would have averted the WTC attacks, maybe not. But slagging off on the victims like that was completely uncalled for.

another difference in interpretation, I don't see "cowards" as much as uninvolved and compliant.

fact: it was white guys who rushed the plane over Pa

actually, Moore is giving a compliment to African Americans, who he includes with miners et al (very tough folk) and saying they would act. a bit stereotypical on the violence assumed, i admit

but why is 90% (caution, made up statistic) of the NBA African-American? if it were all white guys out there, we would still be watching layups.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:42 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG

another difference in interpretation, I don't see "cowards" as much as uninvolved and compliant.

fact: it was white guys who rushed the plane over Pa

actually, Moore is giving a compliment to African Americans, who he includes with miners et al (very tough folk) and saying they would act. a bit stereotypical on the violence assumed, i admit

but why is 90% (caution, made up statistic) of the NBA African-American? if it were all white guys out there, we would still be watching layups.
Sorry Debbie, I've been editing my post extensively.

Note that 99.4% of the National Hockey League is white. (I think there are three black players out of 700-800 players.)

And personally I don't think that 90 black people would have necessarily attacked the hijackers, unless they all happened to be in a gang or something. Most black people who live in the cities aren't in gangs and will give a guy their wallet if they're attacked with a dangerous weapon.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:51 AM   #25
Refugee

Quote:

Sorry Debbie, I've been editing my post extensively.

Note that 99.4% of the National Hockey League is white. (I think there are three black players out of 700-800 players.)
that's because all those guys weren't tall enough to get in the NBA...

ha ha, i'm just joking

the terrorists wouldn't even lift a knife if those guys were filling a plane...that's maybe what m moore would say, ducking out of the theater...

reminds me of a comedian named Barry Sobel who had this great schtick..."of course the Chinese are *great* drivers, Jews are *very generous* etc etc, very racist, no?
Old 01-08-2003, 12:56 AM   #26
Refugee

Quote:

And personally I don't think that 90 black people would have necessarily attacked the hijackers, unless they all happened to be in a gang or something. Most black people who live in the cities aren't in gangs and will give a guy their wallet if they're attacked with a dangerous weapon.
and why aren't there very many gangmembers riding around on airplanes? all the civilized folk are busy jetting to their vacations, etc.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:57 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Humorous Germans, British gourmands, blah, blah blah.

Michael Moore just doesn't realize that (1) his analysis of the situation is incorrect, and more importantly (2) you don't satirize people who have been murdered.

I wonder if Moore has ever called the Jews wusses for not overthrowing the concentration camps from the inside? That seems to be the next logical step.

Or the black Americans for whom Moore supposes himself a champion--their forefathers must not have been very bright or assertive if they were stuck in slavery for 200 years, right?
Old 01-08-2003, 01:03 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Humorous Germans, British gourmands, blah, blah blah.

Michael Moore just doesn't realize that (1) his analysis of the situation is incorrect, and more importantly (2) you don't satirize people who have been murdered.

my people do. did you ever see History of the World, Part I? Mel Blanks...has a great scene about the Inquisition...
Old 01-08-2003, 02:26 AM   #29
Refugee

I too agree with Sharky.

In hindsight it's easy to agree with Moore, but understanding the mindset of 99.9% of people prior to 9/11 I have to disagree with his comments.

I do believe that after that horrific day, most people, no matter what their race, will be more hostile toward hijackers.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:08 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Sharky,

Sparkygrrl,

I think anyone that expressed the view Moore said about 9/11 is wrong and certainly does not understand what happened on that day.
no question m moore = an ass.