you loved him in "Gigli" ... now, here comes Benator!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
Picture This: Ben Affleck, Senator From Va.

By Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Tuesday, September 27, 2005; Page C3

If you liked him as Bennifer . . . you'll love him as Benator!

That's the hot new idea being tossed around by Virginia Democrats, who are desperately searching for a big name to challenge the reelection bid of rising GOP star Sen. George Allen next year, now that outgoing Gov. Mark Warner has ducked out.

Why, who should happen to be pondering a move to Thomas Jefferson country but a certain square-jawed media magnet with a taste for liberal politics and millions to spend on it . . . Ben Affleck ! Star of "Gigli" and the J.Lo tab romance, now happily settled with "Alias" star Jennifer Garner .

The couple, expecting their first child, have been shopping for real estate around Charlottesville. British tabloids claim it's a done deal; we will only go so far as to report that they checked out at least one country estate a few weeks ago.

It was about that time that party officials started batting Affleck's name around. "It's spread pretty widely, at least in the political underground," University of Virginia professor Larry Sabato, Virginia's premier pundit, told Michael Shear, The Post's Richmond correspondent.

Another name on the wish list: blockbuster legal-thriller writer John Grisham . But the central Virginia farmhouse owner, who gives generously to Democrats and did a stint in the Mississippi legislature, has brushed off past overtures, sources say.

In truth, the Dems are less concerned with beating Allen than slowing him down. Both he and Warner are eyeing the 2008 presidential race.

Affleck spokesman Ken Sunshine said the rumors are baseless, though "he would be a superb candidate for public office in the future. Right now, he's very busy directing his first feature movie for Disney, 'Gone, Baby, Gone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/26/AR2005092601991.html

Pretty soon the only politicians left will be current and former actors. When he was at the DNC people kept floating that idea. I think Bill O'Reilly asked him about it when he was on that show, if I remember correctly he actually did a decent job on that interview w/ what he knew about politics and issues .

Considering what some of those Senators say and do, maybe Benator would be a breath of fresh air.

O'Reilly show

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,127324,00.html

I don't have time to read it so he could have been a total idiot :wink: , I don't know

Last edited:
Yeah, but he'd get killed out there, he'd be just another out of touch liberal Hollywood millionaire. (The Governator doesn't count.) It's amazing how they've somehow managed to paint the wealthy as crazy liberals, and decent hard-working family-loving people as conservatives.

not to sound like a silly Hollywood librul ... but i have heard Affleck on shows like Hardball, and he's not a dummy.

surprising, i know.

They should've grabbed Dave Matthews before he moved to Seattle. :wink:

VertigoGal said:
yikes :yikes:

why did Mark Warner drop out?:(

I don't believe Warner was ever an official candidate for Senator from Virginia.......we need U2democrat here to answer that one, she is active in Virginia politics. There are rumors he's running for president in 2008, it'd be too hard for him to run for the Senate in 2006 for economic and time reasons and do the 2008 race at the same time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom