'You guys in New York can't get a hole in the ground fixed' - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:31 AM
'You guys in New York can't get a hole in the ground fixed'

NEW YORK (AP) -- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin criticized efforts to redevelop the World Trade Center site when confronted in a television interview about delays in rebuilding his city after Hurricane Katrina.

During the CBS "60 minutes" interview, a correspondent pointed out flood-damaged cars still on the streets of New Orleans' devastated Ninth Ward. Nagin replied, "You guys in New York can't get a hole in the ground fixed, and it's five years later. So let's be fair," according to CBS.

The program is scheduled to air Sunday night. Text and a video clip from the Nagin piece were posted on CBS' Web site Thursday.

The chairman of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., the agency created to oversee the rebuilding of the World Trade Center site and downtown Manhattan, said that tremendous progress has been made in lower Manhattan, with the Freedom Tower, a transportation hub and a memorial to the nearly 3,000 attack victims under construction.

"We understand how difficult rebuilding a city after such destruction can be," chairman Kevin Rampe said in a statement.

Nagin, known for his blunt style, is not the first to compare the two cities. New Orleans residents frequently complain that the federal government's response after Katrina has been far more sluggish than it was after the September 11 attacks.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:31 PM
I just read that on the CNN website. I can't believe the insensitivity of some people!!

What a moron!!

Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Nagin's a jerk. I wouldn't vote for him if I lived in New Orleans.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:31 AM
I never liked Nagin after his comments of Turning NO into a Chocolate city. I can't believe people voted for him again?!?
Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

People vote for idiots. I voted against the incumbent mayor of Birmingham in the last elections, and he got re-elected anyway.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:31 AM
While the comment is bound to offend people, it does have some truth to it. He has seemingly made this a matter of race, but the fact remains that New York has not really progressed towards a new building in five years so to expect New Orleans to be recovered in a year is a little much. Was it the best comaparison? probably not, but somewhat true.