Yet another vote for our man to be the next Pope.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
combs.jpg

i came across this and it made me :giggle: so i just had to post it here.

Pity he aint a Catholic I guess...just so long as Ratzinger doesn't get it I'm happy enough (and I'm betting against Cardinal R.)

deep said:
a pope that was a member of the hitler youth?

That just could kill him. I just watched a little of Hardball (shocking for me to watch TV news these days) and Chris Matthews was interviewing Father Andrew Greeley. Greeley said that presidential elections and papal elections are similiar--both are actually prettty muddy. I think this Hitler Youth thing could kill Ratzinger's chances. Also, he's just turned 78. Not that I mind. The two biggest questions are 1) is the new pope going to be Italian/European or Latin American (forget about North America... Hell will freeze over first) and 2)will they pick another relatively young pope who will have a long reign or will they pick an elderly "caretaker" pope? We've had an old, sick pope for awhile now. Do they want more of that? Besides which, they'd better be careful about their choices. The last time they elected a "caretaker pope", Pope John XXIII, they got Vatican II. The cardinals don't always get what they want.

Last edited:
Originally posted by verte76 2)will they pick another relatively young pope who will have a long reign or will they pick an elderly "caretaker" pope? We've had an old, sick pope for awhile now. Do they want more of that? Besides which, they'd better be careful about their choices. The last time they elected a "caretaker pope", Pope John XXIII, they got Vatican II. The cardinals don't always get what they want.

You forget about John Paul I. He fit the bill of "old caretaker Pope" too well, and died after a month. However, the question still lingers as to whether John Paul I was poisoned. It is said that he was ready to soften up on contraception after meeting with the United Nations.

I just hope that Ratzinger doesn't become Pope. I will never call him "Pope" either. He will always be "Cardinal Ratzinger" to me, and I will never respect such a bigoted old man as him.

Melon

From what I have read his stint in the Hitler Youth was hardly enjoyable. According to the Times Online, he joined when he was fourteen right after membership was made mandatory. He was then enrolled in an AA unit at a BMW plant then was sentto Hungary where he deserted in 1944 at the age of 17.

Since I am not Catholic, this really does not matter to me, but to make him out to be a jackbooted, goosestepping Nazi seems a little out of touch with reality.

I like that cartoon

No way will the next Pope be American, that's the only thing I know for sure. If he is, I will genuflect to Bono when he comes out on stage :wink:

I heard about the Hitler youth thing, but I never heard it mentioned that it was mandatory, so thanks for that info

If Ratzinger is elected pope whatever little remains of my life as a Catholic will be wiped out entirely.

Ant.

I don't want Ratzinger either. He's not the only guy who's getting votes, but he apparently has the biggest bloc in the early voting. There's a Czech guy, I forget his name, but another Slavic pope would certainly be interesting. If we do get Ratzinger I won't quit the church. That would be too drastic. But it may be that the only reason I'm part of the Catholic Church is the Church in the U.S.

Last edited:
Ft. Worth Frog said:
From what I have read his stint in the Hitler Youth was hardly enjoyable. According to the Times Online, he joined when he was fourteen right after membership was made mandatory. He was then enrolled in an AA unit at a BMW plant then was sentto Hungary where he deserted in 1944 at the age of 17.

Since I am not Catholic, this really does not matter to me, but to make him out to be a jackbooted, goosestepping Nazi seems a little out of touch with reality.

I totally agree. :up:

Anyway, I don´t think Ratzinger will get it. At the moment there are two blocks, he leads the conservative one, and the Cardinal of Milan (?) the reform-oriented block. Since there hasn´t been a quick twothird majority for either of them, media speculates that it might be a surprise candidate.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
the Cardinal of Milan (?) the reform-oriented block.

The Cardinal of Milan is linked to Opus Dei and is heavily conservative. I guess the only reason he's considered "moderate" is due to the other wackos he works with. I guess anyone standing next to Cardinal Ratzinger would be labelled "moderate."

Melon

U2democrat said:
What is this Opus Dei? pardon my protestant ignorance, though i have heard of it.

A right wing cult operating within the Catholic Church, in the view of "far out liberals" like myself and Melon.

Opus Dei does have cult-like behavior, along with multiple levels of membership. The upper levels of Opus Dei live in compounds and all property/assets are willed to Opus Dei (not the Catholic Church). Lower levels exist in the real world and they emphasize suffering.

In short, they are very conservative to the point of being pre-Vatican II in attitudes, are notoriously very misogynist, and, due to the compounds and extreme guilt they put on people who try to leave, along with their recruitment methods and how they hide their name in various "Catholic organizations," they are cult-like. Boston is a breeding ground for Opus Dei in the U.S.

Opus Dei believes it is the Church, rather than the other way around, so I don't want to know what they would do if they get the Papacy. They've wanted it for decades.

Melon

Last edited:
Ft. Worth Frog said:
Can anyone join Opus Dei? How does it work? Like the freemasons with more mysticism?

You have to be a (conservative) Catholic to join. They tend to view any talk about women priests, etc, as the work of the devil.

"like the freemasons with more mysticism" - pretty much! :wink:

FYI, Cardinal Ratzinger is not part of Opus Dei, but if he's like JPII, he is likely very supportive of Opus Dei.

In short, there will likely be no change in the status quo in regards to how the Church approaches Opus Dei.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom