Yay! Australian politics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earnie Shavers

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So what do you all think?

My hot tip - Rudd might just land this thing without having to do any real work.

Here's my prediction:
1/3 chance Howard doesn't even live to fight the election
1/3 chance Howard/Liberals don't win.
1/3 chance that if they do, Howard is gone by Xmas, and he will be forced to do so by the public.

Something absolutely huge is going to blow up in his face and at the moment they're just doing everything possible to hold it off till post election. That's the Shavers Hot Tip and I'm saying no more.

If you re-elect Howard, never blame the Americans for re-electing Bush again :D

:wink:

What about nsw, tyler shavers? Did you hear, Iemma is losing next weekend because one of those pesky trains got tangled. Seriously, I know it is the government's responsibility that infrastructure works and all, but what about bloody cityrail?? And what the hell would Debnam have done differently? Fuck, that man pisses me off. Really pisses me off. He's such a twat, with his convenient pre-recorded lines:
'I want to know what the Iemma government will do do rectify this.'
'I don't think it's acceptable and the people will/should show him as much.'
'Mr Iemma has seriously erred in this matter, and we will see to it that he is made fully accountable.'
'Look, it's just... not good enough. [laugh] The people of NSW deserve better than Mr Iemma's mismanagement.'
I wish he'd fuck off into the sunset and take doddering imbecile Howard with him.

NSW doesn't have a happy choice, as on the one hand NSW Labor barely deserves the name, and is apparently bordline incompetent at the point. Trouble is the Liberals are in hock to crazy religious nuts, so I doubt the trains are even on the agenda really.

At a federal level, we shall see. We shall see. I get the whiff of deep seated urban decay about the Coalition these days. But they are mean and they are incumbent, and anything at all can happen. We shall see.

Whoever wins, part of me grieves for this country. There is no politician in the land who would get up and deliver Ben Chifley's 'light on the hill' speech or anything like it these days. Don't want to scare the horses. Or even (lest you think I'm merely partisan) Robert Menzies' 'forgotten people' speeches. Politicians simply don't talk about values these days, despite all the hoo-ha. Their idea of talking about values now is to say stuff like 'I'm all for talking about values' (nudge-wink).

Fine, so let's hear them.

Kevin Rudd is either the next Bob Hawke or the next Tony Blair. If it's the latter, god help us. But unfortunately John Howard is the future/current Richard Nixon, so I know where my pencil will be going. Same place as every election for the last decade.

I've been rather amused by Aussie politics lately. It seems that the Liberals have learnt some lessons and picked up some tips from all of Howard's time sucking up to Bush & Co. and tried to bring some of that Republican "values" mudslinging down here, but every time they do it, it just blows up in their face and they end up looking worse in the public eye - and Labour hasn't even had to really try!

I think the public is sick of this government and its desperate attempts to retain popularity are becoming farcical and ruining their credibility further. They've been in power for a decade, and even without Rudd, I think the natural cycle of politics would have caught up with them and a change happened. However, with Rudd, I feel even more confident - and for once in my life, I actually like the leader of a major Australian political party, so I know where my vote's going come election time.

I don't know about this

Polls seem to be totally inaccurate, I mean they predicted a close one when Latham was in opposition and Latham did worse than Kim Beazly.

I'd love to think that this might be the end of the Howard government this election but it's getting so hard nowadays to have a change in government that is unless the government completely screws up on something

Australia has been kicked in the guts by this mutant for far too long......Beasley had it in the bag in 2001 ,victory seemed a meer formality but then came September 11....Howard was ever so lucky........ the economy and globalisation were on the back-burner well and truly.

Howard knew Australia was and is united by a common enemy – Islamic terrorism......I can almost remember Howard rubbing his hands together on this ......then WAR ON IRAQ...rather THE LETS KISS BUSH'S ARSE WAR!.......as the war on Iraq has been more about being in bed with Bush than about aligning Australia with America.

Howard plays the same tune over and over! "that you can’t afford to invest in health and education unless you run a strong economy" This is dead set true. It goes exactly the same in the reverse.

To be honest i'm kinda looking forward to the reign of "Harry Potter"

Angela Harlem said:
He's such a twat

:lol: I have'nt heard that word in such a long time!:lol:

Debnam is a total screwup...........he has no chance! This is going to be an extremely interesting year for Australian politics........predictable!....but interesting!!!

fly so high! said:

To be honest i'm kinda looking forward to the reign of "Harry Potter"

Eh, I'd rather have Gillard. She's the best thing to happen to the Labor Party in a long time.

Mind you the idea of having the "cherubic" Harry Potter/Milky Bar Kid/Professor Honeydew as our leader is certainly appealing....

I reckon Johnny will retire and hand over the reigns to the dreary, jaded, useless Costello, and I reckon the Libs will finally lose it with that twat (let's bring this word back into fashion!) at the helm...

Reckon there's any chance of Malcom "but your way into power" Turnbull making a late run for leadership of the Liberal Party if Howard does retire?

consider this- what happened the last time we had a labour governement.........'its the recession we had to have" wooohoooo lets play f the economy right up. and dont say it was a different party back then. if labour attack the workchoices legislation it will put upward pressure on wages which will cause upward pressure on inflation, and anyone with a little economic knowledge will tell you that rising inflation is BAD! in short, elect Howard, and even if he dosent last until 2011 Peter Costello will be a fine leader.

zepher25 said:
consider this- what happened the last time we had a labour governement.........'its the recession we had to have" wooohoooo lets play f the economy right up. and dont say it was a different party back then. if labour attack the workchoices legislation it will put upward pressure on wages which will cause upward pressure on inflation, and anyone with a little economic knowledge will tell you that rising inflation is BAD! in short, elect Howard, and even if he dosent last until 2011 Peter Costello will be a fine leader.

How much will you pay me?

I'm going to bite. How do you come to the conclusion that Costello will be a 'fine leader'? As treasurer he looks good on paper, sure, look at the surplus. A government which holds onto money will always look wealthy.

costello a fine leader? What do you base that on? His "fantastic" budgets? errrrk *shudder*

Even though Rudd is still a bit of a tool, he's the best option in a situation that is dire to say the least. At least the beaz has fucked off and we might actually have a person in power for labour who can actually do the job for once!

As long as i don't have to see tony abbott fucked awful face again i'll be happy.

My bet - Howard bows out before next major election therefore ridding himself of any blame of a loss (also he is scared coming up against that women in bennelong) and Costello will be left with the sinking ship and be shit to do anything.

ahhh, perrhaps i'll vote for the democrats again to see them go nowhere! hurrah.

If labour government is elected,they promise to:

Abolish the Office of the Information Economy
Abolish the Industry Engagement Fund
Abolish Invest Australia
Abolish the Austrlian Government Information Management Office
Abolish the Office of the Employment Advocate
Abolish Green Corps
Abolish Jobs Pathway program and Careers Pilot schemes
Abolish Jobs Placement, Employment and Training program
Abolish the Reconnect Youth Homelessness scheme.

If liberals get it again,they promise to:

Spend $602,000 to fix local Black Spots
Spend $11.6 million to expand the Australian War Memorial
Spend $84 million refurbishing the ANZAC Park East and West office blocks
Spend $8 million in Defence related capital works
Spend $9.9 million for a new storage facility for the National Library
Spend $45 million in additional GST revenue flowing to the ACT Government

Once being a staunch Liberal supporter.....I'm sorry to say The Liberals have made it very easy for me to vote for Labour........it will be a sad day indeed if Costello ever makes Mr Prime Minister.

Geeez!!! No-one's biting...........i want discussions guys....arguments...........it brings the best out of us!

This really only applies to NSW interferencers....but come on!!!! Who is going to bite! Oh well.......don't panic they were only 2004 initiatives anyway!!!

Look i'll tell you why i'm voting Labour this weekend.....simple.......Iemma will get more nurses,teachers and police and Debnam are going to get rid of them.....easy decision!!!

“This election is about who the people can trust to expand and improve the services that hard working families rely on,” Mr Iemma said.

“In the 18 months since I became Premier we’ve made progress delivering more reliable public transport, faster treatment in our hospitals and delivering the biggest infrastructure program in NSW history"

“We’re heading in the right direction, but I know there’s more work to do." (Although i am getting tired of him saying this.....I'm sure he could have come up with something better but after the embarresment of Bob Carr! I guess it fits!!!

“That’s why I am seeking the support of the people of NSW to continue the job I started 18 months ago to deliver the services that families rely on."

“Services like Hospital GP Centres to cut emergency waiting times (this is a great thing, i've used it myself at Campbelltown, it's a great success) and new Trade Schools so students can start apprenticeships at school."

“Unlike the Member for Vaucluse, I understand you can’t slash 20,000 workers from public services without affecting front line nurses, teachers and police,” Mr Iemma said.

Other initatives he outlines are:

Building a recycled water grid across metropolitan Sydney that will increase the use of recycled water in Sydney to 100 billion litres per year.

A $2 billion capital works program for public schools and TAFE colleges

The creation of domestic violence unit in the NSW Police Force
The establishment of 125 scholarships for rural midwives.

What does Debnam have.........* the sound of crickets churping* That's right folks.......nothin'.....except torrents of abuse at Morris Iemma, i don't even know this guys agenda, he just goes on and on about previous or existing MP's......NSW is not stupid, Debnam we know who our wolly's are........so show us what you got!!

No one's biting because I don't think there is a single person in this state who is stupid enough to vote for Debnam, is there? :D I started writing a reply to this the other day but deleted it because I got too angry at Debnam and the Libs in general. The IR laws are my biggest issue with them. I couldn't really care less about transport, and didn't when I commuted, but the water - that's the one thing which really pisses me off with Iemma. This de-sal plant is going to really test them.

It's an election like this that makes me think of the main reason why voting is not compulsory in the US - the right to decide that you don't like any of the candidates and are effectively ticking the "None of the Above - They're all Shit" box.

Really, what kind of terrible choice have we got here? We're fucked either way.

Last state election there was a local candidate who promised to rip up all the speed humps that had just been annoyingly placed EVERYWHERE around the area I was living in at the time. That was their only promise, their entire platform. I swear, if there's someone there on my local ticket this time with even just half an idea like this, they're getting my vote.

Debnam? You've got to be fucking kidding.
Iemma? You've got to be fucking kidding.

What is the water issue about exactly? I know there have been serious drought and water shortage problems there, is it a question of who has the most sustainable or cost-effective proposals to address those drawn up?

In a nutshell, yes. De-salinisation plants vs drinking recycled water mostly. I'm all for recycled. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Both methods will be used, the de-salinisation will be for drinking and recycled water would be used for washing clothes , flushing the toilet and gardening........the problem is that recycled water (grey water) is much cheaper therefore people may use that to drink or fill up the swimming pool (kids swallow pool water all the time) and there is a risk in pipes being accidently connected incorrectly resulting in grey water getting mixed up with drinking quality water which means contamination from faecal matter.

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:
It's an election like this that makes me think of the main reason why voting is not compulsory in the US - the right to decide that you don't like any of the candidates and are effectively ticking the "None of the Above - They're all Shit" box.

Really, what kind of terrible choice have we got here? We're fucked either way.

Last state election there was a local candidate who promised to rip up all the speed humps that had just been annoyingly placed EVERYWHERE around the area I was living in at the time. That was their only promise, their entire platform. I swear, if there's someone there on my local ticket this time with even just half an idea like this, they're getting my vote.

Debnam? You've got to be fucking kidding.
Iemma? You've got to be fucking kidding.

You reminded me of the time my hubby told me he had voted (in a federal election!!!) HEMP - Help End Marijuana Prohibition Party!!!!! I HIT THE ROOF!!!!! I told him you affectively just gave your vote to Howard.............i hate preferential voting.........yeah it's a good way to show you are pissed but i think it's way better to hit the streets and PROTEST LOUDLY!! And keep doing it! Not just one off's.

fly so high! said:

i hate preferential voting.........yeah it's a good way to show you are pissed but i think it's way better to hit the streets and PROTEST LOUDLY!! And keep doing it! Not just one off's.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom