Yay! Australian politics! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Yay! Australian politics!

So what do you all think?

My hot tip - Rudd might just land this thing without having to do any real work.

Here's my prediction:
1/3 chance Howard doesn't even live to fight the election
1/3 chance Howard/Liberals don't win.
1/3 chance that if they do, Howard is gone by Xmas, and he will be forced to do so by the public.

Something absolutely huge is going to blow up in his face and at the moment they're just doing everything possible to hold it off till post election. That's the Shavers Hot Tip and I'm saying no more.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:47 AM
If you re-elect Howard, never blame the Americans for re-electing Bush again

Old 03-16-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Re: Yay! Australian politics!

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
That's the Shavers Hot Tip and I'm saying no more.
Well you were The Man for the U2 tour goss, so I'm listening carefully.

You are the Edge aren't you?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
If you re-elect Howard, never blame the Americans for re-electing Bush again

Can't blame me though - I never voted for Howard in the first place.

I'm deriving some sick, twisted pleasure from seeing the Liberal party slowly self destructing
Old 03-16-2007, 03:37 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:47 PM
What about nsw, tyler shavers? Did you hear, Iemma is losing next weekend because one of those pesky trains got tangled. Seriously, I know it is the government's responsibility that infrastructure works and all, but what about bloody cityrail?? And what the hell would Debnam have done differently? Fuck, that man pisses me off. Really pisses me off. He's such a twat, with his convenient pre-recorded lines:
'I want to know what the Iemma government will do do rectify this.'
'I don't think it's acceptable and the people will/should show him as much.'
'Mr Iemma has seriously erred in this matter, and we will see to it that he is made fully accountable.'
'Look, it's just... not good enough. [laugh] The people of NSW deserve better than Mr Iemma's mismanagement.'
I wish he'd fuck off into the sunset and take doddering imbecile Howard with him.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:47 PM
NSW doesn't have a happy choice, as on the one hand NSW Labor barely deserves the name, and is apparently bordline incompetent at the point. Trouble is the Liberals are in hock to crazy religious nuts, so I doubt the trains are even on the agenda really.

At a federal level, we shall see. We shall see. I get the whiff of deep seated urban decay about the Coalition these days. But they are mean and they are incumbent, and anything at all can happen. We shall see.

Whoever wins, part of me grieves for this country. There is no politician in the land who would get up and deliver Ben Chifley's 'light on the hill' speech or anything like it these days. Don't want to scare the horses. Or even (lest you think I'm merely partisan) Robert Menzies' 'forgotten people' speeches. Politicians simply don't talk about values these days, despite all the hoo-ha. Their idea of talking about values now is to say stuff like 'I'm all for talking about values' (nudge-wink).

Fine, so let's hear them.

Kevin Rudd is either the next Bob Hawke or the next Tony Blair. If it's the latter, god help us. But unfortunately John Howard is the future/current Richard Nixon, so I know where my pencil will be going. Same place as every election for the last decade.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:47 PM
I've been rather amused by Aussie politics lately. It seems that the Liberals have learnt some lessons and picked up some tips from all of Howard's time sucking up to Bush & Co. and tried to bring some of that Republican "values" mudslinging down here, but every time they do it, it just blows up in their face and they end up looking worse in the public eye - and Labour hasn't even had to really try!

I think the public is sick of this government and its desperate attempts to retain popularity are becoming farcical and ruining their credibility further. They've been in power for a decade, and even without Rudd, I think the natural cycle of politics would have caught up with them and a change happened. However, with Rudd, I feel even more confident - and for once in my life, I actually like the leader of a major Australian political party, so I know where my vote's going come election time.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 04:47 AM
I don't know about this

Polls seem to be totally inaccurate, I mean they predicted a close one when Latham was in opposition and Latham did worse than Kim Beazly.

I'd love to think that this might be the end of the Howard government this election but it's getting so hard nowadays to have a change in government that is unless the government completely screws up on something
Old 03-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #9
Refugee

Australia has been kicked in the guts by this mutant for far too long......Beasley had it in the bag in 2001 ,victory seemed a meer formality but then came September 11....Howard was ever so lucky........ the economy and globalisation were on the back-burner well and truly.

Howard knew Australia was and is united by a common enemy – Islamic terrorism......I can almost remember Howard rubbing his hands together on this ......then WAR ON IRAQ...rather THE LETS KISS BUSH'S ARSE WAR!.......as the war on Iraq has been more about being in bed with Bush than about aligning Australia with America.

Howard plays the same tune over and over! "that you can’t afford to invest in health and education unless you run a strong economy" This is dead set true. It goes exactly the same in the reverse.

To be honest i'm kinda looking forward to the reign of "Harry Potter"
Old 03-16-2007, 06:31 AM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
He's such a twat
I have'nt heard that word in such a long time!

Debnam is a total screwup...........he has no chance! This is going to be an extremely interesting year for Australian politics........predictable!....but interesting!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

To be honest i'm kinda looking forward to the reign of "Harry Potter"
Eh, I'd rather have Gillard. She's the best thing to happen to the Labor Party in a long time.

Mind you the idea of having the "cherubic" Harry Potter/Milky Bar Kid/Professor Honeydew as our leader is certainly appealing....

I reckon Johnny will retire and hand over the reigns to the dreary, jaded, useless Costello, and I reckon the Libs will finally lose it with that twat (let's bring this word back into fashion!) at the helm...

Reckon there's any chance of Malcom "but your way into power" Turnbull making a late run for leadership of the Liberal Party if Howard does retire?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Turnbull within the decade
Old 03-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #13
Refugee

^ There is no doubt he is a suitable liberal leader.....but no!, not now.....Howard will go to the end....despite the re-shuffeling of the cabinet.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Eh, I'd rather have Gillard. She's the best thing to happen to the Labor Party in a long time.

Yeah........but she's a GIRL!!! Don't you know a GIRL could NOT possibly RUN A COUNTRY!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Refugee

debnam in budgie smugglersLOL