Yay! Australian politics! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:19 AM
consider this- what happened the last time we had a labour governement.........'its the recession we had to have" wooohoooo lets play f the economy right up. and dont say it was a different party back then. if labour attack the workchoices legislation it will put upward pressure on wages which will cause upward pressure on inflation, and anyone with a little economic knowledge will tell you that rising inflation is BAD! in short, elect Howard, and even if he dosent last until 2011 Peter Costello will be a fine leader.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #17
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:19 PM
um, no.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zepher25
consider this- what happened the last time we had a labour governement.........'its the recession we had to have" wooohoooo lets play f the economy right up. and dont say it was a different party back then. if labour attack the workchoices legislation it will put upward pressure on wages which will cause upward pressure on inflation, and anyone with a little economic knowledge will tell you that rising inflation is BAD! in short, elect Howard, and even if he dosent last until 2011 Peter Costello will be a fine leader.
How much will you pay me?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
Jesus Online

I'm going to bite. How do you come to the conclusion that Costello will be a 'fine leader'? As treasurer he looks good on paper, sure, look at the surplus. A government which holds onto money will always look wealthy.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #20
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
costello a fine leader? What do you base that on? His "fantastic" budgets? errrrk *shudder*

Even though Rudd is still a bit of a tool, he's the best option in a situation that is dire to say the least. At least the beaz has fucked off and we might actually have a person in power for labour who can actually do the job for once!

As long as i don't have to see tony abbott fucked awful face again i'll be happy.

My bet - Howard bows out before next major election therefore ridding himself of any blame of a loss (also he is scared coming up against that women in bennelong) and Costello will be left with the sinking ship and be shit to do anything.

ahhh, perrhaps i'll vote for the democrats again to see them go nowhere! hurrah.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 AM   #21
Refugee

If labour government is elected,they promise to:

Abolish the Office of the Information Economy
Abolish the Industry Engagement Fund
Abolish Invest Australia
Abolish the Austrlian Government Information Management Office
Abolish the Office of the Employment Advocate
Abolish Green Corps
Abolish Jobs Pathway program and Careers Pilot schemes
Abolish Jobs Placement, Employment and Training program
Abolish the Reconnect Youth Homelessness scheme.

If liberals get it again,they promise to:

Spend $602,000 to fix local Black Spots
Spend $11.6 million to expand the Australian War Memorial
Spend $84 million refurbishing the ANZAC Park East and West office blocks
Spend $8 million in Defence related capital works
Spend $9.9 million for a new storage facility for the National Library
Spend $45 million in additional GST revenue flowing to the ACT Government

Once being a staunch Liberal supporter.....I'm sorry to say The Liberals have made it very easy for me to vote for Labour........it will be a sad day indeed if Costello ever makes Mr Prime Minister.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #22
Refugee

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html
Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 AM   #23
Refugee

Geeez!!! No-one's biting...........i want discussions guys....arguments...........it brings the best out of us!

This really only applies to NSW interferencers....but come on!!!! Who is going to bite! Oh well.......don't panic they were only 2004 initiatives anyway!!!

Look i'll tell you why i'm voting Labour this weekend.....simple.......Iemma will get more nurses,teachers and police and Debnam are going to get rid of them.....easy decision!!!

“This election is about who the people can trust to expand and improve the services that hard working families rely on,” Mr Iemma said.

“In the 18 months since I became Premier we’ve made progress delivering more reliable public transport, faster treatment in our hospitals and delivering the biggest infrastructure program in NSW history"

“We’re heading in the right direction, but I know there’s more work to do." (Although i am getting tired of him saying this.....I'm sure he could have come up with something better but after the embarresment of Bob Carr! I guess it fits!!!

“That’s why I am seeking the support of the people of NSW to continue the job I started 18 months ago to deliver the services that families rely on."

“Services like Hospital GP Centres to cut emergency waiting times (this is a great thing, i've used it myself at Campbelltown, it's a great success) and new Trade Schools so students can start apprenticeships at school."

“Unlike the Member for Vaucluse, I understand you can’t slash 20,000 workers from public services without affecting front line nurses, teachers and police,” Mr Iemma said.

Other initatives he outlines are:

Building a recycled water grid across metropolitan Sydney that will increase the use of recycled water in Sydney to 100 billion litres per year.

A $2 billion capital works program for public schools and TAFE colleges

The creation of domestic violence unit in the NSW Police Force
The establishment of 125 scholarships for rural midwives.

What does Debnam have.........* the sound of crickets churping* That's right folks.......nothin'.....except torrents of abuse at Morris Iemma, i don't even know this guys agenda, he just goes on and on about previous or existing MP's......NSW is not stupid, Debnam we know who our wolly's are........so show us what you got!!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #24
Jesus Online

No one's biting because I don't think there is a single person in this state who is stupid enough to vote for Debnam, is there? I started writing a reply to this the other day but deleted it because I got too angry at Debnam and the Libs in general. The IR laws are my biggest issue with them. I couldn't really care less about transport, and didn't when I commuted, but the water - that's the one thing which really pisses me off with Iemma. This de-sal plant is going to really test them.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:19 AM
It's an election like this that makes me think of the main reason why voting is not compulsory in the US - the right to decide that you don't like any of the candidates and are effectively ticking the "None of the Above - They're all Shit" box.

Really, what kind of terrible choice have we got here? We're fucked either way.

Last state election there was a local candidate who promised to rip up all the speed humps that had just been annoyingly placed EVERYWHERE around the area I was living in at the time. That was their only promise, their entire platform. I swear, if there's someone there on my local ticket this time with even just half an idea like this, they're getting my vote.

Debnam? You've got to be fucking kidding.
Iemma? You've got to be fucking kidding.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:50 AM   #26
Forum Moderator

What is the water issue about exactly? I know there have been serious drought and water shortage problems there, is it a question of who has the most sustainable or cost-effective proposals to address those drawn up?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

In a nutshell, yes. De-salinisation plants vs drinking recycled water mostly. I'm all for recycled. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #28
Refugee

Both methods will be used, the de-salinisation will be for drinking and recycled water would be used for washing clothes , flushing the toilet and gardening........the problem is that recycled water (grey water) is much cheaper therefore people may use that to drink or fill up the swimming pool (kids swallow pool water all the time) and there is a risk in pipes being accidently connected incorrectly resulting in grey water getting mixed up with drinking quality water which means contamination from faecal matter.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
It's an election like this that makes me think of the main reason why voting is not compulsory in the US - the right to decide that you don't like any of the candidates and are effectively ticking the "None of the Above - They're all Shit" box.

Really, what kind of terrible choice have we got here? We're fucked either way.

Last state election there was a local candidate who promised to rip up all the speed humps that had just been annoyingly placed EVERYWHERE around the area I was living in at the time. That was their only promise, their entire platform. I swear, if there's someone there on my local ticket this time with even just half an idea like this, they're getting my vote.

Debnam? You've got to be fucking kidding.
Iemma? You've got to be fucking kidding.
You reminded me of the time my hubby told me he had voted (in a federal election!!!) HEMP - Help End Marijuana Prohibition Party!!!!! I HIT THE ROOF!!!!! I told him you affectively just gave your vote to Howard.............i hate preferential voting.........yeah it's a good way to show you are pissed but i think it's way better to hit the streets and PROTEST LOUDLY!! And keep doing it! Not just one off's.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:58 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

i hate preferential voting.........yeah it's a good way to show you are pissed but i think it's way better to hit the streets and PROTEST LOUDLY!! And keep doing it! Not just one off's.