Yahoo and Human Rights Violations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
"The Internet search engine Yahoo! has complied not only with demands from the totalitarian Communist government of China that it censor its search engine results but that it aid the government in tracking down any dissidents.

The human rights group Reporters Without Borders visited Yahoo!'s Silicon Valley headquarters on April 7 to show executives and employees of the company what their cooperation with the Chinese government really meant."

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1837983&page=1

Yahoo should not be helping the Chinese government on silencing people. Action should be taken against yahoo for this display of Human Rights Violation.

What exactly should they do to Yahoo? There's not a heck of alot they can do, they're not doing anything illegal. I don't think what they're doing is right, I don't think they should fool with China at all if they have to submit to their censorship. But it's not my business.

As an avid Yahoo user, I'm glad you posted this.

I want to keep using Yahoo because I really like their email and web platforms, but I want them to stop their collaboration with the Chinese state, which is not defensible.

Anu

That's what you get with deregulation. It starts with paying people less and less and ends with complying with Chinese censorship.

Nothing that Yahoo has done is illegal, and, as such, nothing will be done. In the meantime, the GOP will continue its election year circus to stir up goutrage and avoid actually doing anything.

Melon

melon said:
That's what you get with deregulation. It starts with paying people less and less and ends with complying with Chinese censorship.

Nothing that Yahoo has done is illegal, and, as such, nothing will be done. In the meantime, the GOP will continue its election year circus to stir up goutrage and avoid actually doing anything.

Melon

Can you enlighten me on what the relationship of the Yahoo/Chinese censorship issue is to the GOP? The connection is not obvious to me.

redsox04 said:
Can you enlighten me on what the relationship of the Yahoo/Chinese censorship issue is to the GOP? The connection is not obvious to me.

It's not guilt-by-association as much as a sin of omission.

Deregulation and the erosion of corporate responsibility is a larger trend encouraged by the GOP. If supply-side capitalism encourages the pursuit of profits without concern for how they are made, then why should we be surprised that American corporations are complying with Chinese law to make that money?

And before anyone here gets all outraged about this, just remember that the GOP is not going to pass a law against this. They're the ones who fostered and encouraged this corporate culture.

Melon

melon said:
Deregulation and the erosion of corporate responsibility is a larger trend encouraged by the GOP.

I understand your premise, but I am not quite sure about its basis. Take your comment: "the erosion of corporate responsibility is a larger trend encouraged by the GOP". If you look at the most egregious recent corporate scandals (Enron, Woldcom, Tyco, etc.), they were hatched and fostered during the 1990s, which I'd argue was hardly a GOP-dominated era. They just happened to surface at a time when the GOP controlled both the White House and Congress. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, written by bi-partisan members of Congress as an attempt to bring about corporate responsibility, was passed overwhemingly by the GOP-controlled House (423-3) and Senate (97-0).

redsox04 said:
I understand your premise, but I am not quite sure about its basis. Take your comment: "the erosion of corporate responsibility is a larger trend encouraged by the GOP". If you look at the most egregious recent corporate scandals (Enron, Woldcom, Tyco, etc.), they were hatched and fostered during the 1990s, which I'd argue was hardly a GOP-dominated era. They just happened to surface at a time when the GOP controlled both the White House and Congress. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, written by bi-partisan members of Congress as an attempt to bring about corporate responsibility, was passed overwhemingly by the GOP-controlled House (423-3) and Senate (97-0).

The 1990s were most certainly a GOP-dominated era. Not only was Clinton a poster child for "Republican-lite," but, more importantly, Congress was dominated by Republicans for all but the first two years of his term. Laissez-faire capitalism was all the rage, while the GOP-controlled Congress justified its salaries by investigating pointless scandals. I underline the word "pointless," because I think the Bush Administration has generated more questions worth investigating than Clinton did.

I guess that's what I mean by "sin of omission." It's not what the GOP has done as much as what it has chosen not to do. This issue is not high on its priority list when it has some election-year muckraking to do.

Melon

melon said:

The 1990s were most certainly a GOP-dominated era. Not only was Clinton a poster child for "Republican-lite," but, more importantly, Congress was dominated by Republicans for all but the first two years of his term. Laissez-faire capitalism was all the rage, while the GOP-controlled Congress justified its salaries by investigating pointless scandals. I underline the word "pointless," because I think the Bush Administration has generated more questions worth investigating than Clinton did.

I guess that's what I mean by "sin of omission." It's not what the GOP has done as much as what it has chosen not to do. This issue is not high on its priority list when it has some election-year muckraking to do.

Melon

I've always said that republicans hated clinton cause he was better at being a republican than they were.

I also say, let's impeach the bastard (Bush, for those wondering who the bastard is).

blueyedpoet said:

I've always said that republicans hated clinton cause he was better at being a republican than they were.

That's true. Clinton was(for better or worse) a nice mixture of the two parites.

Conservatives have forgotten the true definition of the word, and Liberals have forgotten their backbone. This is the problem with America as I see it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's true. Clinton was(for better or worse) a nice mixture of the two parites.

Conservatives have forgotten the true definition of the word, and Liberals have forgotten their backbone. This is the problem with America as I see it.

Y'know, I though Barak Obama might just be a leader with charisma and a liberal backbone. He's been nothing but a disappoint. Recently, he said something along the lines of wanting to model his career after Lieberman.
If Lieberman isn't republican lite, I don't know what is.

blueyedpoet said:

Y'know, I though Barak Obama might just be a leader with charisma and a liberal backbone. He's been nothing but a disappoint. Recently, he said something along the lines of wanting to model his career after Lieberman.
If Lieberman isn't republican lite, I don't know what is.

I haven't heard that, if so I'd be dissapointed.

I still have faith, he's pretty new, we'll see...

Back
Top Bottom