WTF possessed that woman to beat up her child like that?????!!! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2002, 11:24 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:22 AM

Spanking is one thing, but I agree with Bono's American Wife about slapping on the face; it is not an appropriate method of discipline for a parent towards a much smaller child. And an adult should NEVER strike a child with a fist. The video appears to show her hitting her daughter; the article seems to refute this. Nonetheless, the overall volume of strikes against the child is excessive in my ignorant opinion.

~U2Alabama

Old 09-25-2002, 11:36 PM   #47
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Spanking is one thing, but I agree with Bono's American Wife about slapping on the face; it is not an appropriate method of discipline for a parent towards a much smaller child. And an adult should NEVER strike a child with a fist. The video appears to show her hitting her daughter; the article seems to refute this. Nonetheless, the overall volume of strikes against the child is excessive in my ignorant opinion.

Old 09-26-2002, 07:04 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 02:22 AM
Maybe I'm sympathetic to the mother, because I know that I grew up to be a very sensitive, straightlaced man, and I was slapped, smacked, and scolded at several times during my childhood.

My question to everyone who believes her daughter should be put in a foster home is this: If you're mother, whom you loved and felt connected to more than any other person, scolded you severely just once or twice in your early childhood, was caught on tape (just once) performing these acts, would you have more resentment toward your own mother, or would you resent the society that broke you apart forever?
Old 09-26-2002, 08:02 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:22 AM
I already explained myself in one of my previous replies in this post about my experience, so I would resent my mother more than society if she didnt get a handle on her temper as needed. Thats my answer.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:55 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 02:22 AM
The problem with this discussion is that most of us are assuming that the mother is abussive. This hasn't been proven. So we should end the discussion right now.

None of us know the key facts of the situation, so we aren't at liberty to form well-rounded opinions.

I happen to side with the mother, because of the abuse SHE has taken from the media and people like those in this forum. Just because there's a possibility that she's insane doesn't mean she IS insane. Remember that old idea: "Innocent until proven guilty".

I think most of you are jumpy to conclusions due to the dramatic nature of the subject.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:14 PM   #51
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

to answer your previous post, yes, i would resent her. i think there are better ways to convey your displeasure with a child's behaviour. i know my view on this has a lot to do with the way i was raised (i was only spanked once in my life. i joke about being the perfect child, but i was only spanked once because i always would get a time-out instead.) where my mom (she did the disciplining because my dad was at work) didn't believe in spanking. she felt it was better to talk it out.

for example, let's say (true story) i wrote on the living room wall with crayon. instead of spanking me, she'd sit me in time-out for, say, 15 minutes. i'd sit on a chair in the living room (usually staring at the clock) and was told to think about what i did. after that, my mom and i would sit and talk about what i did, and how it was wrong. i'd usually have to do something in return to rectify it, as well. if i made a mess, i'd have to clean it up. if it wasn't possible (or in this case i doubt my mom would've wanted a three year old scrubbing the wall) i'd have to give up tv/play time, or something like that.

also, i hear people who condone spanking say that the spanking itself wasn't really the punishment, as the pain quickly went away, but the fear of when it would come. i don't think fear should be the right way to feel about your parents. i couldn't imagine ever wanting to have my child fear me. to me, it just seems so harsh. while i would never spank my kids, i do respect those who would, though.