WTF is wrong with people?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
image689629x.jpg

It might be the pope's tomb site? Anyways, the woman should not be over there. You see the roadblock? It's there for a reason.

Deep, I think some context would do us in.

A stain left by some drunks pissin' on a wall?

Some see Virgin Mary in underpass stain

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- A steady stream of the faithful and the curious, many carrying flowers and candles, have flocked to an expressway underpass for a view of a yellow and white stain on a concrete wall that some believe is an image of the Virgin Mary.

Police have patrolled the emergency turnoff area under the Kennedy Expressway since Monday as hundreds of people have walked down to see the image and the growing memorial of flowers and candles that surround it. Beside the image is an artist's rendering of the Virgin Mary embracing Pope John Paul II in a pose some see echoed in the stain.

"We believe it's a miracle," said Elbia Tello, 42. "We have faith, and we can see her face."

Tuesday morning, women knelt with rosary beads behind a police barricade while men in work shirts stood solemnly before the image, praying. A police officer kept the crowd of about three dozen from getting too close to the traffic but didn't stop them gathering around the stain.

The stain is likely the result of salt run-off, according to the Illinois Department of Transportation. The agency does not plan to scrub it off the wall.

"We're treating this just like we treat any type of roadside memorial," said IDOT spokesman Mike Claffey. "We have no plans to clean this site."

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago had not received any requests to authenticate the image as of Monday, spokesman Jim Dwyer said.

"These things don't happen every day," Dwyer said. "Sometimes people ask us to look into it. Most of the time they don't. (The meaning) depends on the individual who sees it. To them, it's real. To them, it reaffirms their faith."

But onlooker Victor Robles, 36, said he was skeptical about the stain's Virgin Mary resemblance.

"I see just a concrete wall and an image that could happen anywhere," Robles said. "If that image helps more people feel closer to God then maybe that is a good sign."

Worldwide, people have been drawn to images believed to resemble the Virgin Mary seen on windows, fence posts and walls.

Among the best-known in the United States was an image seen in office windows in Clearwater, Florida. Within weeks, a half million people had been to the site. Glass experts believe the image was created by a chemical reaction and corrosion of the metallic elements in the glass coating, but they could not explain why it took the shape it did. The windows were broken last year.

If people want to "believe in" something like that, I really don't see the harm. People believe in far worse, more harmful, and crazier things than that.

They're not hurting others, so what's the big deal?

MrsSpringsteen said:
If people want to "believe in" something like that, I really don't see the harm. People believe in far worse, more harmful, and crazier things than that.

They're not hurting others, so what's the big deal?

Exactly never put down anyones faith, it's a great comfort for many people whatever they're religion, you'd never call those Muslims praying to Mecca crazy would you, nor would I

ZeroDude said:

Exactly never put down anyones faith, it's a great comfort for many people whatever they're religion, you'd never call those Muslims praying to Mecca crazy would you, nor would I

I agree. I don't think these people are stupid at all.

"There's a little graffiti around that says `Go Cubs,' so it looks like Our Lady is rooting for the Cubs.":wink:
-Some guy named Mike

but I need something other....than a Virgin Mary on a nibbled grilled cheese. my neighbor in the chicago had a virgin mary in her screen door. people flocked to the house for weeks, so the family started barbecuing ribs in the front yard and selling them along with individual beers out of a cooler. don't you just love an entrepreneurial spirit?

Comparing a pilgrimage to Mecca to this foolishness is like comparing the Olympics to me doing cartwheels in my backyard for my hand-drawn medal.:wink:

ZeroDude said:

And why not? religion is ideas and ideology and should be questioned, ridiculed and joked about as much as any other set of ideas. Just because people dress up in fancy robes doesn't make their ideas beyond reproach.

There is a place near Birmingham where someone who was in town from what is now Bosnia claimed to have had apparitions of Mary. A cult started, but the apparition claims were rejected by the local bishop because the belief is that an apparition has to be accompanied by a miracle to be valid. There was no miracle. The guy who started a whole cult around it is being sued for fraud and a bunch of other things by people who got duped. It's a mess.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
And why not? religion is ideas and ideology and should be questioned, ridiculed and joked about as much as any other set of ideas. Just because people dress up in fancy robes doesn't make their ideas beyond reproach.

this may be the only thing i will ever agree with you on.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
capt.sge.inz07.231104171439.photo00.photo.default-278x319.jpg

the virgin mary... on a piece of grilled cheese...

This is what I imagined when I looked at this picture.

Bob: [takes a bite of his cheesy toast] <crunch> MMmmm! This is good.

Mary: <gasp!> Bob, stop! There's a Virgin Mary on your sandwich.

Bob: Holy shit! [drops sandwich]

trevster2k said:
Comparing a pilgrimage to Mecca to this foolishness is like comparing the Olympics to me doing cartwheels in my backyard for my hand-drawn medal.:wink:

:lol:

YellowKite said:

This is what I imagined when I looked at this picture.

Bob: [takes a bite of his cheesy toast] <crunch> MMmmm! This is good.

Mary: <gasp!> Bob, stop! There's a Virgin Mary on your sandwich.

Bob: Holy shit! [drops sandwich]

I pictured it more like this:

Oh I really shouldn't take a bite of this, it has a picture of the holy virgin on it! But I am sooo hungry, maybe just one little bite. Marry will understand, won't she?

A_Wanderer said:

There is a differance between ridicule and asking questions, we should question everything but if you feel like everything needs to be ridiculed prepare yourselve for ridicule from others, yes maybe that would make this world even happier:|

A_Wanderer said:

I'm not sure I disagree with Wanderer. While I wouldn't use the word ridicule, I don't think anything is beyond irreverence and challenge. No idea or ideology should be held sacred from criticism or humor. To paraphrase Wanderer, no idea is beyond reproach. Not even mine, especially not mine, no matter how uncomfortable it might make me.

ZeroDude said:

There is a differance between ridicule and asking questions, we should question everything but if you feel like everything needs to be ridiculed prepare yourselve for ridicule from others, yes maybe that would make this world even happier:|
Yes I do, I think that we should see an equivalent of the Life of Brian regarding Islam. I think that it is bloody hilarious that people are willing to worship a stain on a wall or have crazy whip yourself until you bleed dances. I think that it is really funny that a fanatical Muslim terrorist can blow themselves to smitherenes and then plausibly go to eternal paradise to enjoy 72 white raisins. They take themselves so seriously the only bloody way to knock them down a few notches and blow away all that pomp and ceremony is to joke about it.

If somebody wants to mock or make fun of secular humanism then the best of luck to them, I have no problem to see my abence of belief questioned or mocked because I do not think that I should have to respect somebodys ideas, I play the ball and not the man, I will not mock a person for who they are but their beliefs should not be off limits, I am strongly opposed to any religious vilification laws because they stifle freedom of speech and start granting legal protection for ideas making them off limits, and that leads to a lot of badness because problems are never adressed and hatreds are left to fester.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
capt.sge.inz07.231104171439.photo00.photo.default-278x319.jpg

the virgin mary... on a piece of grilled cheese...

allegedly...

allegedly people are stupid.

oh gosh. that's hilarious. cause i'm eating a grilled cheese sandwich right now. :lol:

im sort of losing my appetite now though.. what stupid people. :coocoo:

Back
Top Bottom