WTF is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V Nura

Refugee
it's good to see the saudi's are so enlightened..this is state sponsored racism.....the saudi's can go f*ck themselves.

http://headlines.sify.com/1424news3.html?

No Indians in jewellery shops, too: Saudi Arabia

Dubai, Nov 9

Close on the heels of its ban on foreign taxi drivers, Saudi Arabia has announced that all jobs in gold and jewellery shops, dominated by Indians, will be taken over by local people by next year.

Saudi Interior Minister Prince Naif, who is also chairman of the Manpower Council, has ordered the total "Saudisation" of jobs in gold and jewellery shops from March 4 next year, Al-Madinah newspaper reports.

The shop owners have also been asked to ensure that 50 per cent of their staff are Saudis by the end of this year.

There are 3,500 expatriates working in the 1,100 gold and jewellery shops in Saudi Arabia and 10,000 skilled workers in the 360 workshops in Jeddah alone.

Last year, the minister had ordered that 30 per cent of jobs in the sector should go to Saudis by the end of 2001, 50 per cent this year and 100 per cent by next year, but the authorities complained to the Prince that shops had reported shortage of Saudi workers.

A group of Saudi businessmen have decided to open an institute to train Saudi youth in skilled jobs related to the manufacture and sale of gold and jewellery, Al-Watan said.

There are about 13,500 jobs available for Saudis in the jewellery sector, according to some studies. Non-Saudi workers, who earn 450 million Saudi Riyals (approximately Rs 570 crore) annually from the industry, hold most of the jobs.

Muhammed Azouz, a member of the gold and jewels committee at the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry and director of the training project at the chamber, said the World Gold Council has expressed interest in the diploma courses to be conducted at the proposed institute.

Last month, Crown Prince Abdullah, deputy premier and commander of the National Guard, gave authorities six months to implement the ban order on foreign taxi drivers.

Unofficial estimates put the number of foreign taxi drivers at more than 50,000, a majority of them in the main cities.

Between six and seven million expatriates live and work in the Kingdom which has a population of 22 million.

Unofficial estimates put the unemployment rate among Saudi males at about 15 per cent. Labour and Social Affairs Minister Ali Al-Namlah disclosed recently that there are 3.2 million Saudi job seekers.

The domestic economy has been hampered by an average annual growth rate in the past two decades well below its population growth rate of more than 3.5 per cent.

UNI

Arun,

This is messed up.

But, there are a lot of things in Saudi that are messed up.

Maybe by the time this goes into effect they can find employment in our new territory. (formerly known as Iraq)

I could be wrong, but this appears this appears to be more about insuring that Saudi Citizens have jobs instead of expatriots who are not citizens of Saudi Arabia. I would certainly hope though that Saudi Arabian Government, businesses and industries continue to abide by any contracts they signed with foreigners until those contracts are up, so as to give foreigners time to adjust to the knew situation to either, stay and try to find a job in a market that is less open to foreigners, or go back to their country of origion.

It would be racism if the Indians or other people of foreign birth were actually Saudi citizens. The United States every year denies applicants from other countries from working here in addition to not renewing work visa's, for foreigners, that are about to expire meaning they legally have to leave the USA to find work.

Unfortunately this comes as no surprise to me. Saudi Arabia is quite possibly one of the most rascist countries on the face of this Earth, which reflects many other countries in the Arabian gulf, Kuwait is no exception.

Indians and Pakistanis are treated as scum, for lack of diplomacy, and the constant supremacy of Saudi residents (or Kuwait, as the case may be) is ever present. They are treated as second-class citizens, if not worse, and it IS unfortunately rascist. This is NOT a policy to ensure that Saudis are emplyed, it is merely getting rid of what is no longer needed, or the accentuation of their supremacy.

Not the first time I've seen it happen.

Ant.

STING2 said:
I could be wrong, but this appears this appears to be more about insuring that Saudi Citizens have jobs instead of expatriots who are not citizens of Saudi Arabia. I would certainly hope though that Saudi Arabian Government, businesses and industries continue to abide by any contracts they signed with foreigners until those contracts are up, so as to give foreigners time to adjust to the knew situation to either, stay and try to find a job in a market that is less open to foreigners, or go back to their country of origion.

It would be racism if the Indians or other people of foreign birth were actually Saudi citizens. The United States every year denies applicants from other countries from working here in addition to not renewing work visa's, for foreigners, that are about to expire meaning they legally have to leave the USA to find work.

yeah but your talking about ppl who are already in the industry.....denying someone a job is one thing...taking it fro him when he has it and a family there is a whole other ball of wax.

also you are not eligible for saudi citizenship unless you are of saudi blood (yes even if you are born in saudi).

I agree with Arun, Anthony & Diamond; I have long been of the opinion that Saudi Arabia has the most racist and intolerant culture in the world.

~U2Alabama

One question though,
So Saudi denies these ppl from ever becoming Saudi citizens?
Incredible.

Diamond

Here is a true story.

In July of 1990, the Saudi King was staying at the Ritz-Carlton Boston. I was part of the security detail that was protecting him from the hotel. Yes he had his own security, but we worked with them when they were on hotel property.

When they pulled up, one of the wives was getting out of the vehicle when she started to stumble.....The doorman put his arm out to help her. As she entered the hotel, the king turned to the doorman and said, "In my country not only would I have your hand, but I would have your balls as well." Guess he did not like the physical contact.

Same trip: It was July 4th and he wanted to have his beard trimmed. When he found out that there was no barbershop open at the hotel that day due to the holiday......He fired his staff on the spot, had a new staff flown in, and sent the others home.

Same trip: At the end of the stay, an envelope was left fot he staff.....Nice and thick....all who helped with the stay thought it was a tip. It was....lots of money......unfortunately it was monopoly money.

Saudi Princes regularly stay at the Ritz-Carlton Boston during the Gulf War, to stay away from the war. They would rent a floor of the hotel, and fill the rooms with purchases from stores in the area. One prince once bought three of everything from Victorias Secrets for each of his wives. At the end of the stay, in the loading dock, Ryder trucks would pull up to collect the purchases.

One favorite ploy of the Saudi guests was to advertise that they were looking for models. They would advertise in cities far away from Boston. They would pay air fair and promise to pay for the rooms. If the girls who arrived from out of town did not "put out" the Saudi's would refuse to pay the bill for the room. We would be called in because in many cases the girls could not afford to pay for the room. (One time this happened with a male "model").

Many of the girls from Emmerson College were picked up by the princes. At the bigging of the stay these girls would come accross as you every day nice American girls. After 3-4 nights... One set of girls were in the elevator with the Prince, his servant (with Camcorder) and myself (Manual elevators). It was after 1:00AM so it was our job to run the elevator. The Prince asked the girls to pull their tops down in front of me while the other man filmed in the elevator. The girls had changed quite a bit since I had first drove them in the elevator 4 nights earlier.

The Saudi Royal family is not a favorite of mine. I understand wholly why the general population in Saudi Arabia despises them. It is understandable why the average person turns to people like Osama Bin Laden. It was obvious that the wealth of these people, has completely and utterly corrupted their sense of judgement. At times I wondered why we didnot let Saddam run them over. When our servicemen were defending their country, many were hiding here living the good life.

Ahhhhhhh.....Working in a luxury hotel is so fun.

PEACE.

I wonder if the Saudi princes have sex with these many Saudi women and treat them like they do to the American women. I ask this, because it is a stereotype amongst many cultures that Western women are easy sluts.

Melon

Possible breaking story taken from the Drudgereport newsflash:

Contacts: Diana Pearson FOR RELEASE: 212-522-0833 Sunday, Nov. 17, 2002 Sept. 11 Families Expanding Suit Against Saudis -- Adding a Bank Partly Owned by Citibank
Sun Nov 17 2002 10:00:36 ET

New York - The Sept. 11 families who filed a $1 trillion lawsuit against members of the Saudi royal family and others are about to add 50 new defendants, reports TIME's Adam Zagorin.

The 3,000 relatives are expanding the case, and are likely to name:

* Saudi Minister of the Interior Prince Naif.
* Saudi American Bank (SAMBA), the kingdom's second largest financial institution, which is partly owned and managed by Citibank.
* Mohammed al-Amoudi, the multimillionaire owner of a lavish Addis Ababa hotel where Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill and rock star Bono stayed this year while on their African tour.
* As well as prominent Saudi charities, financial institutions and businessmen.

The case is "baseless, offering false hope to victims' families by smearing honest Saudis," a royal family member told TIME.

Senior figures in the State Department, sources tell TIME, are arguing that the litigation should be done away with before it impedes Saudi cooperation in a possible war against Iraq. But Zagorin reports some Justice and Treasury Department officials see the lawsuit as a useful tool to pressure the Saudis into defunding al-Qaeda."The Saudis have offered piecemeal cooperation that has led to some successes," says a frustrated senior U.S. official. "Now it's time for an approach that produces greater results."

U2Bama said:
I agree with Arun, Anthony & Diamond; I have long been of the opinion that Saudi Arabia has the most racist and intolerant culture in the world.

~U2Alabama

I think you might find this trend among pure Islamic countries today.

"I think you might find this trend among pure Islamic countries today."

I would not, however, agree with such a statement. Despite seeing such behaviours in a reasonable amount of Arab or Islamic countries, I would not say this to be true. Saudi? Of course. Kuwait? Undoubtedly. However, in my experience others are no more racist than us.

Ant.

Ant.

I know Crusader is capable of speaking for himself. But, he did say ?pure Islamic countries? not Arabic countries.

I think intolerance is there, when a country is run by any theological belief system.

I am concerned about the intolerance creeping into US* policies, with devout Christians touting their beliefs and involving them in political decisions.

*And please, don?t say why criticize the US when the Taliban is 100 times worse.
I don?t have a vote in their government or pay taxes to the Taliban.

Also, does one not want to cure a lesser disease, because cancer is worse.

Deep;

I know very well that nbcrusader said 'pure Islamic countries', hence I said 'Arab OR Islamic countries'.

And besides, there aren't that many Arab countries that aren't 'pure' Islamic countries. Though, of course, there are plenty of Islamic countries, pure Islamic countries, that aren't Arabic. My opinion was merely formulated out of my experience, and my experience is out of Arab countries, nothing more.

Ant.

Last edited:
Ant.

Help me out here.

I don't think of Egypt, Libya, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran (today, student protest have stopped an Islamic death sentence, I believe) as ?Pure Islamic States.?

I see Israel as a ?Pure Jewish State?

The Vatican as a ?Pure Catholic State?

I realize in Arab states Islam is the dominate religion. There are some that want the government run according to Islam, Shia? law.

Please give me better information, if you have it.

Sincerely,
Deep

Deep;

Well, it depends what you mean when you say 'pure Islamic'. Do you mean that no other religions are allowed, that its the dominant religion, or the official religion? I thought the term mean the last two, while not altogether abolishing another religion. After all, it is not illegal for people of other faiths to enter a Pure Catholic state as the Vatican, is it?

It is very safe to say that most, if not ALL Arab countries have governments that run according to Islamic law, or the shari'a. After all, it is a direct interpretation from the Q'uran that Islam is also there to guide a state with law. Some are more overt than others, but all more or less have adopted such.

Because you see, Muslims are split into two main groups, the Sunni and the Shiates (forgive the spelling, if someone knows better, I only know this by pronounciation) and they don't exactly get along in their ideals. Some governments are run the 'Sunni' way, and some are run the 'Shiate' way. Now, in all the countries I've lived in, and I do mean all, the government is run according to Shari'a law, and some have been more racist than others, some not at all. 'Shari'a' is not exclusive to fundamentalists and monsters who execute people in football stadiums, it is an actual way of life that most Muslims follow.

Saudi is a perfect example of how racist, practically 'overt' they are in the implementation of their practically fundamentalist values. The hypocrisy exemplified by Dreadsox's story (and I have heard other stories about the Saudi Royal family, I can also tell you a hell of a lot about the Kuwaiti one) is also something that always comes along with it. However, it is not illegal to practice another religion. The same with Kuwait, which compared to Saudi is a lot more liberal, which has churches and is very tolerant. Even more so, is the UAE, Bahrain and Qatar; these even allow alcohol into the country.

So you see, everyone lives under Shari'a law, the government is run by it, and the figure heads (who have the real power, as they are practically dictatorships) implement it, but different countries go about doing things in different ways. This determines the level of racism in their cultures, among other things.

Ant.

Back
Top Bottom