WTF is this - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2002, 04:47 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Deep;

I know very well that nbcrusader said 'pure Islamic countries', hence I said 'Arab OR Islamic countries'.

And besides, there aren't that many Arab countries that aren't 'pure' Islamic countries. Though, of course, there are plenty of Islamic countries, pure Islamic countries, that aren't Arabic. My opinion was merely formulated out of my experience, and my experience is out of Arab countries, nothing more.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 11-18-2002, 05:03 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Ant.

Help me out here.

I don't think of Egypt, Libya, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran (today, student protest have stopped an Islamic death sentence, I believe) as “Pure Islamic States.”

I see Israel as a “Pure Jewish State”

The Vatican as a ‘Pure Catholic State”

I realize in Arab states Islam is the dominate religion. There are some that want the government run according to Islam, Shia? law.

Please give me better information, if you have it.

Sincerely,
Deep

Old 11-18-2002, 05:19 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Deep;

Well, it depends what you mean when you say 'pure Islamic'. Do you mean that no other religions are allowed, that its the dominant religion, or the official religion? I thought the term mean the last two, while not altogether abolishing another religion. After all, it is not illegal for people of other faiths to enter a Pure Catholic state as the Vatican, is it?

It is very safe to say that most, if not ALL Arab countries have governments that run according to Islamic law, or the shari'a. After all, it is a direct interpretation from the Q'uran that Islam is also there to guide a state with law. Some are more overt than others, but all more or less have adopted such.

Because you see, Muslims are split into two main groups, the Sunni and the Shiates (forgive the spelling, if someone knows better, I only know this by pronounciation) and they don't exactly get along in their ideals. Some governments are run the 'Sunni' way, and some are run the 'Shiate' way. Now, in all the countries I've lived in, and I do mean all, the government is run according to Shari'a law, and some have been more racist than others, some not at all. 'Shari'a' is not exclusive to fundamentalists and monsters who execute people in football stadiums, it is an actual way of life that most Muslims follow.

Saudi is a perfect example of how racist, practically 'overt' they are in the implementation of their practically fundamentalist values. The hypocrisy exemplified by Dreadsox's story (and I have heard other stories about the Saudi Royal family, I can also tell you a hell of a lot about the Kuwaiti one) is also something that always comes along with it. However, it is not illegal to practice another religion. The same with Kuwait, which compared to Saudi is a lot more liberal, which has churches and is very tolerant. Even more so, is the UAE, Bahrain and Qatar; these even allow alcohol into the country.

So you see, everyone lives under Shari'a law, the government is run by it, and the figure heads (who have the real power, as they are practically dictatorships) implement it, but different countries go about doing things in different ways. This determines the level of racism in their cultures, among other things.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'