Wtf is going on in Israel today???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by lady lemonade:
Hence the need for a Palestinian leadership that will cooperate with Isreal instead of sending mixed messages...

True, but right now I don't think Ariel Sharon is showing a great willingness to cooperate with the Palestinian people, regardless of who is their leader.

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
True, but right now I don't think Ariel Sharon is showing a great willingness to cooperate with the Palestinian people, regardless of who is their leader.

I agree but the difference is that Sharon has only been PM for a couple of months while Arafat has been the leader of the Palestinians for more than a decade. He had some good partners for peace in Rabbin and Barrach but Arafat is not willing to make the sacrifices that will put him at odds with some extremists groups...

Originally posted by mug222:
1) Lemonite said that the Palistinians are "just there." Please, if this is not a remark about their "worth as human beings," as you say, than explain to me what it is. I think we both know that it goes beyond their commercial value or whatever crap you are trying to feed us.

2) I have nothing against hatred--I respect that Lemonite hates Arafat, just as I hate Arafat, Sharon, and Lemonite. These are judgements based on a certain knowledge of the recipient of the hatred, founded in good judgement, and acceptable by my view. What is NOT acceptable is to belittle an entire race of people (and I would say "to hate them as well," but Lemonite is adamant that this is not the case.) I can debate politics like the rest of you, discussing the right of Israeli's to the Western Settlements (zilch..oh, no, wait, God told them to build a farm right there, right where it will annoy the Palistinians the most) or the proposed boundaries to a Palistinian state. But it's simply impossible to have a rational discussion about these ideas when Lemonite obstinately continues to refer to "people like" the Palistinians (a term I detest, and which I hear far too often), and to paint their populace in paint strokes altogether too broad.

Again, I will say it that No where was I referring to Palestinians as 'Dirt'. This was a manufactured ruse that was right from the start misguided.. As I have stated many times.. I'm not sitting here lying about this.. Why would I have any inclination to 'lie' about it.., I just want my point understood in the medium it was given. What I am Saying (For what is now at least the 10th Time) is that this "Collective gathering of People known as the Palestinians" AS AN ECONOMIC UNIT are a 'Doldrum' of Exporting/Producing Activity... Now AM I WRONG?.. Do they have a Flourishing Farming Industry.. or a Productive Internet Technology Company Out There?.. I Wrote earlier in this thread.. But Surprise Surprise, I will have to repeat it now.. If That statement is wrong, Then I will go back on it... That was all.. I was just putting it out there, like I wrote above as Food For Thought.. To keep in mind wherever it may ever apply.

NoWhere was I ever talking about 'Human Value'.. Please stop the Delusions just because you don't Like me.. It's unproductive.

With Respect To your Comments on 'Hatred'.
Again, You are putting words in my mouth by saying 'You Respect that Lemonite Hates Arafat', when just a few posts above I stated my position on this.. That I did not hate 'Arafat'. I even went so far to state that I didn't hate 'Liberals' (Including you Mug.. But Like I wrote above, I will disagree with the Liberal beliefs til the End of the Planet.. But It never leaves me 'HATING' the Soul of the Liberal.. Just disagreeing with the Beliefs.. IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?)... Just dismissing anything I write as 'Oh That's Not What You Truly Believe Now Lemonite'.. Is just ridiculous, because Again, I'm not here Lying to the Forum.. That gets us no where and I end up spending post after post writing the same thing because People fail to read my words.. Or maybe it's just a personal Ignoring of my words..

Lady and I were having a civilized discussion.. You just refuse to even try and have one with me because you do not like me.. Fair Enough.. Take your Ideals elsewhere if you are looking for some Discussion.. There are many people here that will indulge you.

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-31-2002).]

Well, Slaney, we're waiting...

Aren't you the mature one. I find it fascinating that you have contributed absolutely nothing to this thread, other than personal attacks. "Well, Slaney, we're waiting..." Are you trying to win a contest or something? Most of us here are trying to engage in conversation and learn a thing or two. What's your goal? Did the kids in high school pick on you? and maybe now you feel the need to take it out on us or something? Sounds like if someone disagrees with you, they somehow become your incompetent enemy. Instead of bashing Lemonite and myself, you could focus that energy on actually learning something.

As far I'm concerned FizzingWhizzbees and nintendan presented a very legitimate case. Their intent was to point out their opinion, not to personally attack me because they disagree. I will respond to them separately, but I can't just dig up one article or explain my counter-arguement in two sentences.

You have to understand, I have studied this conflict very, very closely my entire life. It is a very detailed and complicated issue that must be explained precisely and carefully. I do find it interesting that the only thing people want to challenge me on is the last sentence in my reply.

FizzingWhizzbees and nintendan! Thank you for the maturity. Even though I disagree, I completely understand why you hold that opinion. It's not a cut and dry case. There is a lot of history behind it. Believe me, I'm not trying to justify the horrific acts that took place in those refugee camps in '82, but there are two sides to the issue.

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

haha, nice one...very selective of what I write and then twist it around! nice touch bud!

Anyhow, I think you'll find that throughout here I wanted to know about Arafat's ties to the terrorists, to what extent if so, and finally, his measure of influence amongst them. Sorry if I need to spell everything out!
smile.gif

Sorry! I'm not trying to offend you, but it did sound like you came in here with your mind already made up. I'm not trying to twist your words, but you do need to be careful with calling Sharon a "bastard" and making Arafat look somewhat innocent. As you already know, this is a very sensitive subject and we must be very careful with it. I do respect the fact that you are willing to admit that you want to learn more about this issue. I hope in some way that I can help.

smile.gif
smile.gif
HAVE AN AWESOME EASTER!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Hmm...riled up a bit there, Slaney? In fact I've written on the conflicts of 1982 and I was just glad that Fizzing and nintendan so astutely raised the point before I could even see your post claiming so erroneously that "he has not committed any crimes or warcrimes that you can clearly and distinctly point out." Laughable!

Calm down--wouldn't want you to have a coronary on Easter.
smile.gif

EDIT: I've added a smiley face so you don't have to go off again. Like so many FYM threads, no views will be changed here so I'll make my exit before this thread begins to resemble Arafat's compound.

You get so angry about an innocuous phrase ("we're waiting") and then viciously attack me (nope, not teased in high school, thanks). So silly you are!
smile.gif
My point is not to anger, but to confront the one sided view of so many of our fair nation. You're such a nut
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 03-31-2002).]

smile.gif

EDIT: I've added a smiley face so you don't have to go off again. Like so many FYM threads, no views will be changed here so I'll make my exit before this thread begins to resemble Arafat's compound.

Fling personal attacks around, offer no solid opinion, take one last jab, then take the easy way out when challenged... good form
smile.gif
smile.gif

Hmm...riled up a bit there, Slaney? In fact I've written on the conflicts of 1982 and I was just glad that Fizzing and nintendan so astutely raised the point before I could even see your post claiming so erroneously that "he has not committed any crimes or warcrimes that you can clearly and distinctly point out." Laughable!

smile.gif

You get so angry about an innocuous phrase ("we're waiting") and then viciously attack me (nope, not teased in high school, thanks). So silly you are!
smile.gif
My point is not to anger, but to confront the one sided view of so many of our fair nation. You're such a nut
smile.gif

Ho many times are you going to edit????

Originally posted by S|aney:
Fling personal attacks around, offer no solid opinion, take one last jab, then take the easy way out when challenged... good form
smile.gif
smile.gif

Did you offer any facts? Everything I wanted to say was presented rather definitively in nintendan's article, which I suggest you read again.

2) I have nothing against hatred--I respect that Lemonite hates Arafat, just as I hate Arafat, Sharon, and Lemonite. These are judgements based on a certain knowledge of the recipient of the hatred, founded in good judgement, and acceptable by my view. What is NOT acceptable is to belittle an entire race of people (and I would say "to hate them as well,"
ah, I get it. So as long as you only hate individuals and not an entire race, it's okay to hate. That's a new one on me.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Also, a lot of you are in such uproar over Lemonite's post in which he said that the Palestinians have no COMMERCIAL value. However, look at that again. Not once in that post does Lemonite talk about their HUMAN VALUE. I think that is a distinction that needs to be drawn. Think about it please, and while you may still find that you don't agree with his assessment of their production value, you will admit he was not talking about their worth as human beings.

80s, I'm directing this to you, because I find you to be a very reasonable, tolerant, and generally pleasant person to have a discussion with. I can't speak for others, but this is what inherently bothers me about Lemonite's logic: First he said, "Just an addendum in the middle of this post.. the Palestinians are a band of people who produce nothing, they have no commercial value, no 'industrial' practices.. They produce nothing, They are just there.. Ok.. Back to the post." Then, later on, he was trying to explain what he really meant, and concluded that "I was just putting it out there, like I wrote above as Food For Thought.. To keep in mind wherever it may ever apply." If we are to take him at face value, then under what circumstances would the economic output of the Palestinians ever "apply" as Lemonite put it? If this were a thread discussing the most economically viable plan for bringing financial prosperity to the Middle East, Lemonite would have a point. But that's NOT AT ALL what this thread is about. If the underlying theme or undercurrent is the discussion of what is currently going on politically in Israel, the West Bank, etc., and what the viable solutions for a peace plan are, then the "commercial value" of the Palestinians MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. It has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. Hence, if you take Lemonite's comments in context of what it is that we're debating here, they come off as incredibly offensive. When one is discussing peace solutions and comments saying that an entire nation has no commercial value and is "just there" are made, then it is not unreasonable for the rest of us to come to the conclusion that Lemonite somehow equates peace with said commercial value. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Back to this idiotic statement once again.

"Just an addendum in the middle of this post.. the Palestinians are a band of people who produce nothing, they have no commercial value, no 'industrial' practices.. They produce nothing, They are just there.. Ok.. Back to the post."

Just to show what an idiotic and racist statment it is. Supposing he had said

"Just an addendum in the middle of this post.. BLACKS are a band of people who produce nothing, they have no commercial value, no 'industrial' practices.. They produce nothing, They are just there.. Ok.. Back to the post."

Doesn't that bring things further into light (or darkness)?

Certainly he didn't say 'human value' but who would wager that he doesn,t like palestinians.

Let me ask Lemonite several questions.
You say you never said that you hated Palestinians. Ok. Now I'm asking you;

Do you like Palestinians?
Do you think the world would be a better place without them?

ah, I get it. So as long as you only hate individuals and not an entire race, it's okay to hate. That's a new one on me.

Yep, you got it.

Originally posted by nintendan:

Let me ask Lemonite several questions.
You say you never said that you hated Palestinians. Ok. Now I'm asking you;

Do you like Palestinians?
Do you think the world would be a better place without them?

Anitram.. Point Understood.. I realized at the time it made no difference to the current Thread.. However that is why I prefaced it with an 'Addendum'.. For (Like I wrote) Wherever it may apply.. In everyday life (Which does occur outside of this forum), A bit of trivia for maybe a debate somewheres down the line.. I'm not the first one to post 'Irrelevant Thread Information' in a post..

Ok.. To 'Nintendan's Questions..I will answer these Regardless of the fact that they do not need to be answered on account of my above 'Many Times Referenced Quote' as I was never referring to 'Human Value'.. But Still.. I will indulge you this.
lemme scroll up really quickly.....

Do I like Palestinians?... As I wrote above.. Which I'm sure you read, but may have forgotten.. I have no feeling either way.. 'Ambivalence?'.. is that the word... I don't like them nor do I hate them.. I acknowledge them, just as I acknowledge Somali's or Swedes.. I know none personally, I have not visited the country.. So I don't have any 'personal' Love/Hate Feelings either way.

However.. If you were to ask me do I agree with their methods and practices in relation to the Peace Process.. That would be a different story..

Do I think the world would be a better place without Them?.. As a Whole Human Group.. Of Course Not, however I think the world would be a better place without Suicide Bombers.. Without Terrorists (Whether they be Palestinians, Americans, or Saudis).. Just as I feel the world would be a better place without Bank Robbers.. except for giving us those good ol Westerns.. Love those movies, as I feel anyone would think the same way (Not that I need to Justify Myself). But it would take another discussion to delve into 'Is it the Ideals or Is it the People'...

Now.. My statement Idiotic?.. It was just validated above by someone who looked into the Palestinians as an 'Economic Unit' (As I have stated it was intended) as Truthful. If the Truth and Factual information is now Idiotic.. Ah well.. Anyways.. At best it is another piece that may one day come in handy, at worst it is Irrelevant.

God Bless America,
L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-31-2002).]

]
I don't usually agree with ladywithspinninghead, and am offended by her tendancy to use God's name irreverantly (in fact, I find that much more offensive than Lemonite saying Palestinians have no COMMERCIAL value). However, she has a point here. She did in fact type on the first post "Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong.....that's why I'm posting this - ". She was venting on that first post, but i really think she was inviting other's opinions. I think that the insults thrown her way (no insults were thrown by Lemonite, might I add) in this thread are really uncalled for. She and I disagree on this issue, and I believe she is wrong, but that doesn't mean that either one of us is stupid.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ! (for being the voice of reason as well as seeing that I have tried to come in here with at least a bit of an open mind - obviously I had my own opinions before posting the original thread - but I really wanted to probe and find out other people's views on the situation.) It's too bad some people here have a hard time with inquisitive, open-minded people....

I think I shall stick to querying my profs from now on though!
wink.gif

Sorry about using the word "god" so loosely - bad habit of mine, I know...sorry 'bout that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ! (for being the voice of reason as well as seeing that I have tried to come in here with at least a bit of an open mind - obviously I had my own opinions before posting the original thread - but I really wanted to probe and find out other people's views on the situation.) It's too bad some people here have a hard time with those at least "attempting" to be inquisitive and open-minded - lol!

I think I shall stick to querying my profs from now on though!
wink.gif

Sorry about using the word "god" so loosely - bad habit of mine, I know...sorry 'bout that.

Well, I suppose the Swiss are living under the Alps 'cuz I've just been talking at lengths with my Swiss friend who is down doing his M.A. in journalism and he has never heard before that Arafat incites the Palestinians to violence when he speaks to them. He said he could speculate that that's the case but he's never actually heard that before. I suppose this "common knowledge" of this so-called "fact" then only extends to North America and Israel...hmmm, very interesting indeed......

Well, I suppose the Swiss are living under the Alps 'cuz I've just been talking at lengths with my Swiss friend who is down doing his M.A. in journalism and he has never heard before that Arafat incites the Palestinians to violence when he speaks to them. He said he could speculate that that's the case but he's never actually heard that before. I suppose this "common knowledge" of this so-called "fact" then only extends to North America and Israel...hmmm, very interesting indeed......

I really appreciate the fact that you seem to want to learn about the issue but it does sound like you have already made up your mind about Arafat having no ties whatsoever to the terrorist organization. So we have failed to provide you with an article giving irrefutable proofs that he is linked to the the terrorists. Like I said, my experience comes from having seeing him on tv saying those things and from reading about his possible ties with Iran and arms smuggling. Now you can call me a liar and say that all the stories are fabricated but I wouldn't be so quick to reject the hypothesis that he does send a different message in Arabic. I don't support Sharon's policy and I do believe that they're only gonna lead to more violence. However, I think that it is quite naive to believe that Arafat is poor victim of the whole situation and had absolutely no part of responsibility in it.
It's not because you and your friend haven't heard of those "facts" that there's no truth to them...

Yes, you're right, I think I have made up my mind. I saw an interview on CBC tonight with Dennis Ross (he was the U.S. envoy before Zinni as you all may remember). He stated himself tonight that while Arafat has not done anything to encourage the suicide attacks, he has not done anything to discourage them either. Now, that of course is an entirely different story from what I'm hearing here.

Furthermore, my initial outrage was due to the illogic of Israel attacking Arafat's compound. Ross expanded on this issue and said attacking Ramallah was highly ineffective and if anything, it would only have the effect of encouraging more suicide attacks. Hmmm, it seems to me I said this from day one.

So thank you all but I think I'll stick to the professionals!
wink.gif

(and here's an article that may be of further interest:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,676671,00.html

and this little tidbit from today's Guardian, too:

"Arafat's position has been subtly eroded by the months of intifada that have given renewed power and strength to those radical Palestinian organisations like Hamas and Islamic Jihad that Arafat himself has felt most threatened by and tried for so long to suppress."

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 03-31-2002).]

Originally posted by lady lemonade:
it does sound like you have already made up your mind about Arafat having no ties whatsoever to the terrorist

Where are you folks getting this from?

I've said a couple times now that I'm well aware that some of the suicide attacks (especially the recent ones) are from factions directly related to Arafat's military/political wing. Does that necessarily mean he's ordering them though????
Sheesh.....

Originally posted by Lemonite:
What I am Saying (For what is now at least the 10th Time) is that this "Collective gathering of People known as the Palestinians" AS AN ECONOMIC UNIT are a 'Doldrum' of Exporting/Producing Activity... Now AM I WRONG?.. Do they have a Flourishing Farming Industry.. or a Productive Internet Technology Company Out There?

I did a little bit of research on the Internet, but it seems to be impossible to find detailed statistics for Palestinians. This of course is due to the fact that Palestina is no country, so you would have to look for numbers of Israel, to extract any information about Palestinians. This should be no surprise (that nothing is known about Palestinians), as there also is, AFAIK, no information about Native Americans, aboriginals, African Americans, Kurds or Swedish-born Germans (to name just a few other examples). Looking at the website of the OECD (the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development, http://www.oecd.org ), there doesn't even seem to be information about Israel (as it is a non-OECD country).

What I can say, having read from newspapers and magazines, is that Palestinians used to have an airport (but that was destroyed by the Israel army), they were building/having a harbour (also destroyed) and they of course had tourism (Bethlehem is in the occupied territories). Now, that last source has of course diminished for a couple of years (also because the Israel army is needlessy destroying the hotels in Bethlehem). Finally, many Palestinians worked in Israel (i.e. the not-occupied territories part) but they often were refused exit from the occupied territories, so not much income has come from that source either.

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

This thread and the actions of the past few days got me thinking about the goal of the current Israeli assault. The more I see of it, the more I think that the effects will be negative for Israel.

First of all, I don't know really what the goal of Israel is. Do they want to cause the fall of Arafat? And if they succeed, then what?
For a solution to the conflict, both parties have to eventually reach an agreement. The representative of the Israelis is clear, it is the prime minister (currently Sharon). But who is the representative of the Palestinians? Currently it is Arafat, but who will it be when he is killed/captured/exiled?

Should Arafat disappear, a fight will erupt for the power of the Palestinian Authority. Until that fight is settled, Israel will have nobody to talk with, so they cannot advance towards peace and they have to accept suicide bombings (as no Palestinian will have the authority to condemn these bombings on behalf of the Palestinian people).
Whoever eventually will preside the Palestinian Authority, he/she will have to have at least a 'no disagreement' by Jihad and Hamas. So whoever will get the authority, it will probably not be someone less radical than Arafat. It's more likely that the leader will be more extremistic (which could lead to Israel refusing to acknowledge that person as a representative of the Palestinian people).

Don't underestimate the power of Jihad and Hamas. It has been suggested in the past (that is, until a few months ago), that those two groups were not executing their worst possible bombings as Arafat ordered the stopping of all bombings (a command they didn't adhere to totally). When, a few months ago, there were openings for peace talks, Jihad and Hamas issued statements saying they would not execute any actions in Israel so as to give Arafat and Israel a chance to reach an agreement (they did say that the actions in the occupied territories wouldn't stop). Of course, one or two weeks later they started again with their actions in Israel (when the talks seemed to have reaced a dead end), but for a small period they did lay down.
This indicated that these groups indeed (partly) listened to Arafat, but it also indicated that they have the power to neglect the authority. THEY would stop bombing (in Israel) to give the peace talks a chance, but THEY had also the power to immediately start the bombings again, no matter what Arafat would say.

Now, what would be the current position of Arafat? Does he still have authority? I think that with the actions of the past few days, Israel has ended his authority among Palestinians. Even if the Israeli army would retreat immediately, the image of Arafat is damaged too much. I don't think he will have the recognition from Jihad and Hamas (and the many other groups). So, in that sense Israel may have reached its goal, but should it by happy with?

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Yes, you're right, I think I have made up my mind. I saw an interview on CBC tonight with Dennis Ross (he was the U.S. envoy before Zinni as you all may remember). He stated himself tonight that while Arafat has not done anything to encourage the suicide attacks, he has not done anything to discourage them either. Now, that of course is an entirely different story from what I'm hearing here.

Furthermore, my initial outrage was due to the illogic of Israel attacking Arafat's compound. Ross expanded on this issue and said attacking Ramallah was highly ineffective and if anything, it would only have the effect of encouraging more suicide attacks. Hmmm, it seems to me I said this from day one.

So thank you all but I think I'll stick to the professionals!
wink.gif

So if Mr Ross says so then it must be true
wink.gif

Look, there are a whole bunch of varying opinions by "professionals" on the subject but everyone uses the facts in a way as to serve their opinions. I was watching a round table on CNN yesterday (including a FM secretary of state, an advisor to Carter an some other "professionals") and they each had different views on who was responsible for what's going on and all their views were argued well and supported by facts. Does that mean that I'm going to start quoting them and say that so and so has THE definitive answer? No, because I ackowledge that those "professionals" as you call them are humans and although their views are valid they do not constitute the truth. THere's a difference between truth and opinion. You can believe whatever the hell you want to believe but don't insinuate that those who disagree with you are either gullible, ill-informed or are making up stories to convince you (since I personally couldn't care less). I haven't convinced you that Arafat is a scumbag but you surely didn't convince me that he doesn't support terrorism since you also failed to provide any evidence in support of that claim. Mr Ross' opinion and your friend's knowledge do not consitute facts in my eyes...

To go back to the topic of Arafat, I never said that he organized those attacks. What I said is that he supports them by his unwilligness to denounce them and arrest the terrorists within his own factions. I also believe that he propagates a different message in Arabic based on me seeing it with my own two eyes and by the various reports I've read which you can ignore if you want. Anyway, I don't believe that he can do anything about the violence now since the terrorists organizations seem to have taken over the Palestinian authority. Arafat has had ten years to do so but he has been unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary because he lacks courage, leadership and character. I don't agree with the current Israeli politics but I must say that Isreali leaders have been more willing to make those sacrfices. Rabbin payed with his life and Barrach lost the election all in the name of peace. Arafat, on the other hand, has been unwilling to take those steps because he's affraid of being at odds with his own terrorist groups. Arafat is just a front for the Western world, and a poor one at that...

[This message has been edited by lady lemonade (edited 04-01-2002).]

CENSORSHIP IN AMERICA SUX.....
LETS TAKE A LOOK AT BOTH SIDES....

OPRESSION and HUNGER leads to TERRORISM.
What Americans don't see, is the numbers of innocent children, people being killed in Palestine.... SHARON is the reason why all these suicide bombings (sadly the victims are always innocent people)are going on. ARAFAT is useless. However, I think its fair enough to say that Arafat is less harmful.....
I THINK THE IDF IS A TERRORIST GROUP! They have commited the worst war crimes. Killing little children with Boxing Glove bombs isn't in any way a reach for peace, is it? The Palestinian side has done its side of harm on innocent people.. But the Israel IDF and Sharon has commited much worse...
By the way, sharon was part of a terrorist group previously.....
I'm saddened by the nuber of innocent lives taken on both sides. However, I think its time that Sharon took a step down. Its funny the other night he said, "I don't Hate anybody"... Right, Sharon is definently the devil in disguise.
Sad,
Amna

I'm from Israel, and I just wanted to let you see things from my point of view: Do you know what it's like to be afraid to get out of your house? Because that's how I feel... The attacks are happening EVERY DAY!

I was on my way to see a movie a few days ago, and on the way I heard on the radio that a suicide bomber bombed a coffee shop on the same street as the Movie Theater was! So of course I immediately changed my plans... Can you even imagine what that's like??
So what do you expect Israel to do? Just sit and watch them kill innocent people?!
And how come it was okay for America to pursue Bin-Laden after 9-11, and it's not okay for Israel to pursue Arafat?

Just wanted to let you know what it's like to actually be here...

Okay, so we have established that Sharon is guilty of having done some terrible things but why is it that everyone is so quick to judge him and to forget about Arafat's own terrorist past i.e., the hijacking of planes in the 70s, the murder of the Israeli athletes in Munich, etc. It's funny what a Nobel Peace Prize will do...

People always point the finger to Isarel about the poverty among the Palestinians but shouldn't Arafat have to be held responsible for that too? On the news here in Canada they were saying how some 500 millions of humanitary aid that was sent to the Palestinian authority dissapeared without a trace. Allegedly it was used for the purchase of more weapons. I agree that poverty is a terrible problem and breads violence. However, as in the case of Debt relief, you cannot keep throwing money at corrupt governments... Also, unlike many countries where people are dying of hunger, this is no the case in Palestine. The unemployment is high but people can still go to school, eat enough, have a car, a house, things that many in Africa and Afghanistan can only dream of. It doesn't make it right but there are other places in the world where people are more concerned about simple survival than planning terrorist acts. Also, before the second Intifada, many Palestinians were free to go work outside the occupied territory. After the wave of suicide attacks starting 18 months ago, Israel has had no choice but to establish checkpoints.

Oh, and Rainbow, I feel for you and I sincerely hope things get better. Stay safe tonight
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by lady lemonade (edited 04-01-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom