WTC films planned, shot, and soon to be released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I am concerned with the 'entertainment-ization' of what happened on 9/11. The fact that Oliver Stone is now shooting a film with Nicholas Cage about what happened at Ground Zero:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/03/film.sept11.movie.ap/index.html

and the "Flight 93" film that is also in the works.

I just wonder:

Do these films HAVE to be made?

I think there are some subjects that just do not need to be put on the big screen. I was in Hollywood last week, and everyday of my life I go past Ground Zero. To think the people sitting in movie studios are going to make a film about what happened here makes me very distraught.

Now they may do a good job in telling the story, but why does this story have to be told? Everyone knows what happened, and I am not so sure I am all that interested in Oliver Stone's conspiracy theory as to why it happened.

I know, I know - I do not have to see the film, but to think that people are going to be making money off of this, and will have to advertise this, and junket this thing around makes me sick. Even if Oliver Stone were to donate all the proceeds to the cause, all the crew on this film would still be getting paid to make a film about a disaster that ruined hundreds of families lives.

The whole thing does not sit well with me. The fact that the crew is not even filming at Ground Zero is a good thing in most repects, but to think that some people in California are going to "recreate" the destruction on a sound stage in Studio City makes my stomach turn.

I may be in the minority here, but I just do not understand why this horrible episode in US history has to be brought to the masses by way of a movie. Having lived through it, my opinion is that this is a very bad idea.

I am very interested in your thoughts, and extremely curious how they will differ amoungst those that were in downtown NYC on 9/11, and those that were not.

All are equally relevant.

I was not in New York or DC that day so I can't begin to know what it felt like being there. I waver on whether I think it is right to be making a movie(s) about it. I believe that it is important that people never forget what happened and if done correctly and tastefully, the movie could do that.

I also think this is far too soon after the events for such a movie to be made. We have had movies made about JFK's assassination, Pearl Harbor, and even a Perfect Storm in the North Atlantic. Those movies all were made well after the events. They were not fresh in most people's minds. A 9/11 movie could just reopen wounds that haven't began to heal or even scar. Bottom line, wait a whole bunch more years before filming anything.

Do you feel the same way about films about the Holocaust? I'm not saying I don't agree with you but films are always made about tragic events in history--why would this one be worse than any other. Is it because it's still so fresh? Would it be better if it were made by another generation for another generation to see, a generation that didn't see it live on TV? Would it be better if it were a very sensitive and well-made documentary instead of an Oliver Stone Hollywood movie? Not asking you to answer all these questions...just food for thought I guess. I think I'm put off by the Oliver Stone part of it.

joyfulgirl said:
Do you feel the same way about films about the Holocaust?

Interesting point.

I think coupled with randhail's post I think there is a point to be made about timeliness. The major Holocaust films were done decades after the event. Due to our all-consumption NOW lifestyles, the movies are ready to be made.

I would vote to wait a bunch of years before this was made.

I know Schindler's List for example had a profound effect on some Holocaust survivors and since there are so many people who lived through this, or relatives of them, I think this will just re-open some currently healing wounds.

Too soon.

ouizy said:

Interesting point.

I think coupled with randhail's post I think there is a point to be made about timeliness.
Too soon.

I think I agree with you. Schindler's List was also educational for a new generation and it was Spielberg's passion to make it and for the right reasons (I guess). An Oliver Stone Hollywood blockbuster about 9/11 four years after the fact reeks of money and ego.

ouizy said:
I think coupled with randhail's post I think there is a point to be made about timeliness. The major Holocaust films were done decades after the event. Due to our all-consumption NOW lifestyles, the movies are ready to be made.

Very good point. How long was Scott Peterson in jail before his TV movie was aired?

why anyone would pay $10 to relive that day is beyond me.

unless it's some sort of can't-be-missed cinematic masterpiece, i won't be seeing it.

Many good points, and I do think that a movie is ok...someday. I too think it's too soon. Indy , small-budget ones, that amke no profit are ok with me for now I guess, since they're already have been a couple, but some big-budget slam bam thank you mam movie company that turns Flight 93 into Delta Force with Chuck Norris would be a slap in the face to us Americans who lived throught that day. I just hope whatever is done, is done tastefully and to "educate" like Schindler's List or Passion of the Christ(though that was contoversial in it's own right). And yes, Oliver Stone doing a 9/11 pick scares me too, because he is just a skinnier Micahel Moore.

I was fearfull Hollywood would make a movie about the Oklahoma City Bombing and try to "cash in" on the event, so to speak.

Well it's been 10 years and there hasn't been a major movie yet.

I'm not sure the 10 years changed my mind about the fear of exploitation of the people and events, I think if tastefully done a story could be told that might unite a broken spirited people.

I guess it would depend on the quality of the movie.
Schindler's List could have been a tacky offensive statement to Holocaust survivors, maybe they feared reliving those events, but Spielberg really knocked it out of the park on that one.

I guess, I agree it's too early. But more or less I am saying, let's see what comes out of the movie. If Stone exploits this event, his career will be over.

I wasn't in NYC, but a couple of people from my town, and several from surrounding towns, died on the planes or in the towers

I have no desire to see the movie right now, but maybe I will change my mind. I got a few documentaries on DVD that came out even closer to that day. One was aired on TV, and I believe that was the one in which you could hear the bodies falling of the people who jumped. That is the reality of what happened, isn't that enough? Do we need an Oliver Stone version? I don't know. We shouldn't have to be reminded of those who died and who suffered the losses, or of those who were true heroes..by a movie. We should try to remind ourselves every day.

I don't think we need his "conspiracy theories" either- but there have been several of those about 9/11, does anyone really pay serious attention to them?

MrsSpringsteen said:

I don't think we need his "conspiracy theories" either- but there have been several of those about 9/11, does anyone really pay serious attention to them?

The movie is supposed to deal with two NYC firefighters trapped in the rubble. I doubt he ventures off into 'JFK' land.

He has made some brilliant films, Platoon is one of the best war movies I've ever seen. JFK is a conspiracy filled movie, but it's also a great flick.

I'd like to think he is going for a story about humanity rather than a story about the actual attack details.

i'll admit that stone's recent work has been

not very good at all

these are his good to ok films:

# Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
# Talk Radio (1988)
# Wall Street (1987)
# Platoon (1986)
# Salvador (1986)

these are misses to just ok in my book:

# Alexander (2004) (written by)
# Any Given Sunday (1999)
# Nixon (1995) (written by)
# Natural Born Killers (1994)
# JFK (1991)
# The Doors (1991)

has not done anything outstanding since the 80s

OS80sIsBest

Last edited:
Well this is the quote from the article that might make the families and others skittish - the other quotes from him in the article, well he can say what he wants now, the movie will speak for itself. It would be good if he made strictly a compassionate, emotional film about it..but do we need that? I don't know

In October 2001, Stone was quoted as referring to the attacks as a "revolt" against multinational corporations.

well we've already had docudrama's staring the guy who played president bush on trey parker and matt stone's "that's my bush" parody... :shrug:

it's oliver stone's right to make a film if he so choses. i just hope he treads lightly and doesn't do anything to disrespect the memory of those who lost their lives, i.e. filling the thing with wacky conspiracy theories.

Back
Top Bottom