Writing an op/ed on Gay Marriage - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Take a look for yourself:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/arc..._02/005731.php
As I said earlier, holy crud, that's lame.

Good for her for not backing down, though. And this part of the article did make me happy:

Quote:
Most of the 24 people who spoke at the meeting supported Kelli Davis.
Nice to know there's some people with common sense left.

Angela

Old 03-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Rule #1: Establish common ground and shared values with your audience before advancing your argument.

Sounds obvious, I know, but you'd be surprised how often people ignore this rule.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:57 PM

very true, speedracer. i don't want to isolate them.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Does that even matter? Why would you reject the photo in the first place?
Perhaps it was a dress code issue (which opens the door to a whole new line of discussion).
Old 03-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

yes please lets stay on topic for my sake
Old 03-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #51
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Maybe someone could start a new thread about the girl in the tux if people still want to discuss that.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 03-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

ok i'm starting on the article now. hopefully it'll be good
Old 03-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Alrighty here's my article:
Quote:
Recently, the Virginia General Assembly took steps to amend the state constitution in order to ban gay marriage. Both the House and Senate passed the proposed amendment, but before it can become a constitutional amendment it must pass both chambers again, and then be ratified by Virginia’s voters in the 2006 general election.
Virginia already has banned same sex unions, which I disagree with, but nevertheless the ban is already in place. However, legislators argue that the constitution should be amended to prevent Virginia from recognizing such unions from other states.
Whatever your feelings may be on homosexuality, discrimination is wrong. Virginia has only in the last few decades moved beyond treating people as second class citizens, and now it seems we’re returning to that same intolerant mentality.
I believe that homosexuality is not a choice. If it were a choice, for those of you who are straight, do you remember when you chose? I certainly don’t remember some magical day where I sat down and thought to myself “Gee, I like boys.” I was just born that way. Therefore, banning people from basic rights over something which they can not change is just wrong.
Not only that, but the United States Constitution and Virginia’s Constitution were created to protect rights, not restrict them. Prohibition was set up to restrict people’s rights, and as most of us know the amendment was removed. Such amendments that are meant to take away a person’s basic right do not belong in any constitution.
As Thomas Jefferson brilliantly wrote in the Declaration of Independence, “...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”
With instituting bans on gay marriage, gay couples are deprived from the “unalienable Rights” that are “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Even convicted felons are allowed to marry, so why shouldn’t innocent citizens have that same right?
Then there is the issue of protecting the sanctity of marriage. I don’t understand this argument. Why is there no talk about the fact that half of all marriages end in divorce? It seems to me that people getting unmarried is more of a threat to the institution than people getting married.
In addition, a stereotype is that gays live promiscuous lifestyles and the divorce rate would just increase. In heterosexual couples, studies show that somewhere between 20-40% of husbands and wives cheat on each other. Now who has a so-called promiscuous lifestyle?
There is more to the institution of marriage than the government simply recognizing the fact that two people are bound together. There are many benefits that come with being a married couple. For instance, if one person is in the hospital and visitors are restricted to family only, the partner is not allowed to visit their would be spouse.
People of the same sex getting married harms me in no way. When I find my Prince Charming, I won’t think “Oh my gosh...we can’t get married because gay people are getting married!” If your belief is that marriage is between a man and a woman only, then by all means, marry someone of the opposite sex. Just don’t deny other people basic rights based on a trait that they are born with.
Suggestions are very much welcome!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If it were a choice, for those of you who are straight, do you remember when you chose?

Excellent point
Old 03-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

yes, fully agree Laura

Old 03-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Very nice! Way to work in the Declaration!
Old 03-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

thanks.

i wonder how people will react to it. and how much hate i'll receive.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:01 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

thanks.

i wonder how people will react to it. and how much hate i'll receive.
Let us know about the comments...I think it would be very interesting.

Nice job, btw!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:57 PM
Great article-so many excellent points, thanks to all the people in this thread, and I like how you stated that those who oppose gay marriage were still entitled to think what they wanted, but that a ban was unnecessary, because I think one thing that really fuels the anti-gay marriage side and makes them so insistent on getting their way on everything regarding gay marriage is their feeling that they're not being allowed to say their piece. But if they can do that, it makes them less likely to go all ban-crazy.

Anywho, I'd love to hear the comments you get, too...that could be quite interesting, indeed, seeing the arguments people come up with to try and go against your arguments. And again, a great article-I couldn't agree more with it.

Angela