Writing an op/ed on Gay Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moonlit_Angel said:
Great article-so many excellent points, thanks to all the people in this thread, and I like how you stated that those who oppose gay marriage were still entitled to think what they wanted, but that a ban was unnecessary, because I think one thing that really fuels the anti-gay marriage side and makes them so insistent on getting their way on everything regarding gay marriage is their feeling that they're not being allowed to say their piece. But if they can do that, it makes them less likely to go all ban-crazy.

I can't see how they aren't getting their view heard...hell, gay marriages aren't allowed. How much more of their way can they get? I think it's just self-righteousness. I mean no one is saying that all marriages must be gay marriages (in fact, many marriages are no damned fun at all! :wink: ), but the anti-gay marriage side wants to make sure marriage is defined by their terms only. I guess I just don't comprehend the attitude that "if I don't like it, you can't do it." :shrug:

I'm not jumping on you MA...I just don't get people who want to make sure everyone does it their way.

Last edited:
Which brings us as always back to the original point, if Bigot A thinks it's bad, why is it bad for all? If you're not actually gay, then you will never require or desire a gay marriage for yourself. So why are all these bigoted heteros getting the last say?
And they are bigots. Let me keep saying it. Bigot, bigot, bigot!
Equal human rights.

indra said:
I can't see how they aren't getting their view heard...hell, gay marriages aren't allowed. How much more of their way can they get?

Oh, I agree with you...I'm just saying that in their eyes, when people tell them to stop being all homophobic, they see it as a censoring of their views and being forced to like something they're most likely not going to be changing their minds on anytime soon, so they go all ban-crazy as a result as a way of retaliating. I think it sucks that those views exist, too, but both sides should be heard...it's when the anti-gay marriage side starts banning things, that's where I draw the line. They don't have to like it, but banning it is just stupid.

Originally posted by indra
I think it's just self-righteousness. I mean no one is saying that all marriages must be gay marriages (in fact, many marriages are no damned fun at all! :wink: ), but the anti-gay marriage side wants to make sure marriage is defined by their terms only. I guess I just don't comprehend the attitude that "if I don't like it, you can't do it." :shrug:

Agree wholeheartedly with this...I've never understood that attitude, either. My life belief's always been: as long as nobody's being hurt or killed or forced into doing something they don't like, do whatever the hell you want. I don't care.

Originally posted by indra
I'm not jumping on you MA...I just don't get people who want to make sure everyone does it their way.

Understandable :).

Angela

very good artiicle

however, i think the fight should be for "civil unions"

Pick the battle than is most likely able to be won

Gay marriage
is a battle that will be most likely be lost.

When people oppose Civil Unions they out themselves for being intolerant.

U2democrat said:
right now i'm just speaking to the proposed ban on gay marriage. that's my issue now. if that dies, then we move on to civil unions.

I understand and believe that high school age people are more tolerant. Again, an excellent article for your audience.

I just believe that on the national level
we will have more success moving a few percentages over to "civil unions".

Excellent piece, U2Democrat. You covered your bases in an articulate and concise manner. You're a very good writer and I hope you consider joining your college newspaper.

My article came out today and man is it causing a buzz!!!! Some good, some bad. It's got alot of people talking. No one's had the guts to come up and chew me out (yet) but those who enjoyed the article told me about how some people were going off as they read it. :lol: :tsk: Some were going on with some b.s. equating gay marriage with beastiality. :rolleyes:

U2democrat said:
My article came out today and man is it causing a buzz!!!! Some good, some bad. It's got alot of people talking. No one's had the guts to come up and chew me out (yet) but those who enjoyed the article told me about how some people were going off as they read it. :lol: :tsk: Some were going on with some b.s. equating gay marriage with beastiality. :rolleyes:

please, please, please keep us posted on the details.

and you're causing people to think.

that's a hard thing to do, in high school.

;)

U2democrat said:
My article came out today and man is it causing a buzz!!!! Some good, some bad. It's got alot of people talking.

Good. Gets people thinking that way.

Originally posted by U2democrat
No one's had the guts to come up and chew me out (yet) but those who enjoyed the article told me about how some people were going off as they read it. :lol: :tsk: Some were going on with some b.s. equating gay marriage with beastiality. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :tsk: :sigh: arrrrrgggghhh...some people...

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Good. Gets people thinking that way.

:rolleyes: :tsk: :sigh: arrrrrgggghhh...some people...

Angela

What a refreshing forum. I'm coming here more often!

Great Article! Please please please keep us posted on the fallout - I'd love to hear what happens, too!

Sorry, I hooked on to this thread too late, but you might also consider reading a book called "Why Gay Rights Matter in America" (that may be a paraphrase, it's been a while).. co-authored by Michael Nava (who is an LA lawyer and pretty good novelist). Available on Amazon I believe. Probably banned from your local library, or something.

Keep it up!

if i start getting crap from people to my face, all i'm going to say is "'if you're homophobic, that's your problem, not mine, so deal with that yourself."

and welcome OldTimerU2fan! :wave: glad you enjoy it here :up:

Thanks for the welcome..

After my first post, I went to check the book.

It's called Created Equal: Why Gay Rights Matter in America.

From Publishers Weekly

This succinct, cogent manifesto emphasizes that gay men and women are not seeking new or special privileges, but the ordinary rights of individual liberty and equal protection that Americans enjoy under the Constitution. The authors call for an end to discriminatory practices, anti-gay laws, vicious stereotyping, and the near-invisibility of lesbians and gay men. Resisting the fundamentalist religious right's attack on gays, they argue, constitutes a defense of real religious liberty which is predicated on tolerance and personal freedom in a pluralistic society. Moreover, they insist, the struggle for gay rights is important to everyone: "What gays and lesbians have to teach other Americans is that morality is how you live and how you conduct yourself, not what you happen to be." Nava, a lawyer and writer of mystery novels, and Dawidoff, a history professor at the Claremont Graduate School in Southern California, have produced an eloquent, closely argued benchmark document.
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc.

U2democrat said:
if i start getting crap from people to my face, all i'm going to say is "'if you're homophobic, that's your problem, not mine, so deal with that yourself."

and welcome OldTimerU2fan! :wave: glad you enjoy it here :up:

awww ... if i were closer, i'd come to your high school and be your gay big brother and beat up all the jerks who give you a hard time.

though i'm sure you could beat them up intellectually just fine on your own.

OldTimerU2Fan said:
Thanks for the welcome..

After my first post, I went to check the book.

It's called Created Equal: Why Gay Rights Matter in America.

From Publishers Weekly

This succinct, cogent manifesto emphasizes that gay men and women are not seeking new or special privileges, but the ordinary rights of individual liberty and equal protection that Americans enjoy under the Constitution. The authors call for an end to discriminatory practices, anti-gay laws, vicious stereotyping, and the near-invisibility of lesbians and gay men. Resisting the fundamentalist religious right's attack on gays, they argue, constitutes a defense of real religious liberty which is predicated on tolerance and personal freedom in a pluralistic society. Moreover, they insist, the struggle for gay rights is important to everyone: "What gays and lesbians have to teach other Americans is that morality is how you live and how you conduct yourself, not what you happen to be." Nava, a lawyer and writer of mystery novels, and Dawidoff, a history professor at the Claremont Graduate School in Southern California, have produced an eloquent, closely argued benchmark document.
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc.

interesting. :up:

U2democrat said:
oh irvine i must add we can hunt down sexy liberal men together :sexywink:

no shortage of those in a very gay city that went 90% for Kerry.

though i'm sure if we went to Capitol Hill we could find some straight Democrat boys for you.

:happy:

sounds like a great time!!!!!!!!

my parents are bracing for multiple phone calls from angry parents about my article. i think they'll go nuts over the principle before they would call us.

U2democrat said:

my parents are bracing for multiple phone calls from angry parents about my article. i think they'll go nuts over the principle before they would call us.

wow. i really can't believe that. parents would call your parents? over an article on gay marriage?

:ohmy:

students are still free to write their opinions in the school paper, yes?

then again, it is gun-totin', gay-hatin' vuh-geen-yuh.

U2democrat said:
oh irvine i must add we can hunt down sexy liberal men together :sexywink:

Now THAT sounds dangerous.

Sexy liberal men? Isn't that redundant? Or is sexy NeoCon men an oxymoron? (Don't flame me folks, I'm just joking)

And U2Democrat, I saw in your other post about.... 3 months.... 3 months...

I think that was ME in 1985!! I might have even had a countdown calendar until my release!

But the good news is, it really DOES get amazingly better from that day onward!

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

wow. i really can't believe that. parents would call your parents? over an article on gay marriage?

:ohmy:

students are still free to write their opinions in the school paper, yes?

then again, it is gun-totin', gay-hatin' vuh-geen-yuh.

let me put it this way, two jews on the newspaper staff wrote a satire on what jews should do on christmas. it was HILARIOUS and a mom was up in arms over it. it had no slander, nothing offensive, yet this mother felt like anyone of any faith should be offended :rolleyes:

so if that set someone off....imagine what mine would do.

OldTimer-I'm looking forward to life after highschool where i meet different people of different backgrounds. the great thing about CNU is that when i was there for an overnight i didn't feel judged or looked down upon, even as an obvious high school student. it's great :up:

U2democrat said:

let me put it this way, two jews on the newspaper staff wrote a satire on what jews should do on christmas. it was HILARIOUS and a mom was up in arms over it. it had no slander, nothing offensive, yet this mother felt like anyone of any faith should be offended :rolleyes:

so if that set someone off....imagine what mine would do.

and people think liberals get upset at nothing and are oversensitive.

Back
Top Bottom