Writing an op/ed on Gay Marriage - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #31
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:20 AM
It's always been beyond my entire realm of understanding how someone can oppose it, and now with this thread, as succinct and as accurate as it can possibly get, I'd like to see someone even try. And this is not a challenge for anyone to do so...Great thread.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:20 AM
here where I live, marriage is not restricted to a man and a woman...but between a man and women. yep, that's right. polygamy is alive and well and legal. So it's ok to have one many plus four women, but one man plus one man...

not that that has anything to do with the States, but as I think of it, in Christianity, the early Bible days were cool with polygamy (remember Jacob?) What does that have to say about the so-called sanctity of marriage?

Old 02-25-2005, 07:38 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

I am not sure if this is a religious school or a public one.

My 2 cents worth.

I believe there is a stereotypical view of homosexual relationships. It saddens me to no end, because I am witness to a relationship that is approaching 30 years. I am talking about the fact that there is a stereotype of homosexuals being promiscuous, and never developing loving, long lasting, relationships. What we witness in young adolescents, learning, experimenting and figuring out sexuality is not considered promisuous, because we witness heterosexuals calm down, and settle down, and move towards what we consider long term-relationships.

I do not think the sterotype disappears fro the homosexual, because we are in new and uncharted territory for society. The stigma up until the last 30-40 years was that there was something mentally wrong. We know this not to be true. There are other barriers that the homosexual community have had to work hard to overcome, so we have not yet reached a period, where healthy loving relationships have had the chance to be witnessed by society as a whole.

When you get right down to it, there is absolutely nothing about marriage that is dependant on a penis and a vagina. Actually, they seem to be the pieces of equiptment that get most of us into trouble when we do not control them.

SO I would say to you, focus on what a marriage is. What is a marriage? What does it mean to be married? Because there is absolutely nothing that a marriage is about that requires a penis or a vagina.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:43 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
if i were you, i'd focus on the denial of basic rights -- like those 1,049 tax cuts -- on the basis of an involuntary, inchangable human characteristic that does not harm anyone.
As I read this thread, this seems to be the most concrete and compelling argument. Government goes well beyond sanctioning marriage to areas of financial impact and defining obligations and liabilities based on marital status.

It would be hard to show that the tax cuts and other laws, rules and regulations that are triggered by marital status have anything to do with the gender of the married couple. As such, there is no rational basis for the government's failure to recognize such relationships (be it marriage or civil union).
Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am not sure if this is a religious school or a public one.

My 2 cents worth.

I believe there is a stereotypical view of homosexual relationships. It saddens me to no end, because I am witness to a relationship that is approaching 30 years. I am talking about the fact that there is a stereotype of homosexuals being promiscuous, and never developing loving, long lasting, relationships. What we witness in young adolescents, learning, experimenting and figuring out sexuality is not considered promisuous, because we witness heterosexuals calm down, and settle down, and move towards what we consider long term-relationships.

bra-VO.

might this stereotype, which has some basis in reality, come from the fact that we don't allow homosexuals the legal and social tools from which to create a loving, long-lasting, monogamous relationship?

seems thuddingly obvious to me.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:40 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
bra-VO.

might this stereotype, which has some basis in reality, come from the fact that we don't allow homosexuals the legal and social tools from which to create a loving, long-lasting, monogamous relationship?

seems thuddingly obvious to me.
Makes sense to me. And I'll second that bravo-couldn't agree more with your post, Dread.

Angela
Old 02-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

you know, sometimes you can't make a loving, lasting, monogamous relationship on your own.

you need help from society, and, yes, even the government.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:21 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

How the hell is gay marriage ever going to be accepted when, a girl cannot have her photo in the yearbook because she wore a tux?

We are so far away!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:41 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
How the hell is gay marriage ever going to be accepted when, a girl cannot have her photo in the yearbook because she wore a tux?
Are you serious?

Holy crud, that's lame.

Quote:
We are so far away!
No kidding...

Angela
Old 02-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

It would be hard to show that the tax cuts and other laws, rules and regulations that are triggered by marital status have anything to do with the gender of the married couple. As such, there is no rational basis for the government's failure to recognize such relationships (be it marriage or civil union).
Actually, a married couple is still taxed higher than single people are. REAL tax deductions come with children and homeownership.

My wife and I were depressed when we got married to learn that we'd each be at a lower tax bracket if single than by getting married.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
How is that a homosexual issue?
Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

How is that a homosexual issue?
Take a look for yourself:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/arc..._02/005731.php
Old 02-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder if the principle knew the girl's sexual orientation based on the photo...
Old 02-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I wonder if the principle knew the girl's sexual orientation based on the photo...
Does that even matter? Why would you reject the photo in the first place?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
I imagine it was known. Even if it wasn't, the insistance on rigid gender roles as shown by pulling the photo because she was wearing boy's clothes is disturbing to me.