Writing an op/ed on Gay Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's always been beyond my entire realm of understanding how someone can oppose it, and now with this thread, as succinct and as accurate as it can possibly get, I'd like to see someone even try. And this is not a challenge for anyone to do so...Great thread.
:up:

here where I live, marriage is not restricted to a man and a woman...but between a man and women. :huh: yep, that's right. polygamy is alive and well and legal. So it's ok to have one many plus four women, but one man plus one man...

not that that has anything to do with the States, but as I think of it, in Christianity, the early Bible days were cool with polygamy (remember Jacob?) What does that have to say about the so-called sanctity of marriage? :eyebrow:

I am not sure if this is a religious school or a public one.

My 2 cents worth.

I believe there is a stereotypical view of homosexual relationships. It saddens me to no end, because I am witness to a relationship that is approaching 30 years. I am talking about the fact that there is a stereotype of homosexuals being promiscuous, and never developing loving, long lasting, relationships. What we witness in young adolescents, learning, experimenting and figuring out sexuality is not considered promisuous, because we witness heterosexuals calm down, and settle down, and move towards what we consider long term-relationships.

I do not think the sterotype disappears fro the homosexual, because we are in new and uncharted territory for society. The stigma up until the last 30-40 years was that there was something mentally wrong. We know this not to be true. There are other barriers that the homosexual community have had to work hard to overcome, so we have not yet reached a period, where healthy loving relationships have had the chance to be witnessed by society as a whole.

When you get right down to it, there is absolutely nothing about marriage that is dependant on a penis and a vagina. Actually, they seem to be the pieces of equiptment that get most of us into trouble when we do not control them.

SO I would say to you, focus on what a marriage is. What is a marriage? What does it mean to be married? Because there is absolutely nothing that a marriage is about that requires a penis or a vagina.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
if i were you, i'd focus on the denial of basic rights -- like those 1,049 tax cuts -- on the basis of an involuntary, inchangable human characteristic that does not harm anyone.

As I read this thread, this seems to be the most concrete and compelling argument. Government goes well beyond sanctioning marriage to areas of financial impact and defining obligations and liabilities based on marital status.

It would be hard to show that the tax cuts and other laws, rules and regulations that are triggered by marital status have anything to do with the gender of the married couple. As such, there is no rational basis for the government's failure to recognize such relationships (be it marriage or civil union).

Dreadsox said:
I am not sure if this is a religious school or a public one.

My 2 cents worth.

I believe there is a stereotypical view of homosexual relationships. It saddens me to no end, because I am witness to a relationship that is approaching 30 years. I am talking about the fact that there is a stereotype of homosexuals being promiscuous, and never developing loving, long lasting, relationships. What we witness in young adolescents, learning, experimenting and figuring out sexuality is not considered promisuous, because we witness heterosexuals calm down, and settle down, and move towards what we consider long term-relationships.

bra-VO.

might this stereotype, which has some basis in reality, come from the fact that we don't allow homosexuals the legal and social tools from which to create a loving, long-lasting, monogamous relationship?

seems thuddingly obvious to me. :huh:

Irvine511 said:
bra-VO.

might this stereotype, which has some basis in reality, come from the fact that we don't allow homosexuals the legal and social tools from which to create a loving, long-lasting, monogamous relationship?

seems thuddingly obvious to me. :huh:

Makes sense to me. And I'll second that bravo-couldn't agree more with your post, Dread.

Angela

you know, sometimes you can't make a loving, lasting, monogamous relationship on your own.

you need help from society, and, yes, even the government.

;)

How the hell is gay marriage ever going to be accepted when, a girl cannot have her photo in the yearbook because she wore a tux?

We are so far away!

nbcrusader said:

It would be hard to show that the tax cuts and other laws, rules and regulations that are triggered by marital status have anything to do with the gender of the married couple. As such, there is no rational basis for the government's failure to recognize such relationships (be it marriage or civil union).

Actually, a married couple is still taxed higher than single people are. REAL tax deductions come with children and homeownership.

My wife and I were depressed when we got married to learn that we'd each be at a lower tax bracket if single than by getting married.

nbcrusader said:
I wonder if the principle knew the girl's sexual orientation based on the photo... :scratch:

I imagine it was known. Even if it wasn't, the insistance on rigid gender roles as shown by pulling the photo because she was wearing boy's clothes is disturbing to me.

Rule #1: Establish common ground and shared values with your audience before advancing your argument.

Sounds obvious, I know, but you'd be surprised how often people ignore this rule.

Alrighty here's my article:
Recently, the Virginia General Assembly took steps to amend the state constitution in order to ban gay marriage. Both the House and Senate passed the proposed amendment, but before it can become a constitutional amendment it must pass both chambers again, and then be ratified by Virginia’s voters in the 2006 general election.
Virginia already has banned same sex unions, which I disagree with, but nevertheless the ban is already in place. However, legislators argue that the constitution should be amended to prevent Virginia from recognizing such unions from other states.
Whatever your feelings may be on homosexuality, discrimination is wrong. Virginia has only in the last few decades moved beyond treating people as second class citizens, and now it seems we’re returning to that same intolerant mentality.
I believe that homosexuality is not a choice. If it were a choice, for those of you who are straight, do you remember when you chose? I certainly don’t remember some magical day where I sat down and thought to myself “Gee, I like boys.” I was just born that way. Therefore, banning people from basic rights over something which they can not change is just wrong.
Not only that, but the United States Constitution and Virginia’s Constitution were created to protect rights, not restrict them. Prohibition was set up to restrict people’s rights, and as most of us know the amendment was removed. Such amendments that are meant to take away a person’s basic right do not belong in any constitution.
As Thomas Jefferson brilliantly wrote in the Declaration of Independence, “...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”
With instituting bans on gay marriage, gay couples are deprived from the “unalienable Rights” that are “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Even convicted felons are allowed to marry, so why shouldn’t innocent citizens have that same right?
Then there is the issue of protecting the sanctity of marriage. I don’t understand this argument. Why is there no talk about the fact that half of all marriages end in divorce? It seems to me that people getting unmarried is more of a threat to the institution than people getting married.
In addition, a stereotype is that gays live promiscuous lifestyles and the divorce rate would just increase. In heterosexual couples, studies show that somewhere between 20-40% of husbands and wives cheat on each other. Now who has a so-called promiscuous lifestyle?
There is more to the institution of marriage than the government simply recognizing the fact that two people are bound together. There are many benefits that come with being a married couple. For instance, if one person is in the hospital and visitors are restricted to family only, the partner is not allowed to visit their would be spouse.
People of the same sex getting married harms me in no way. When I find my Prince Charming, I won’t think “Oh my gosh...we can’t get married because gay people are getting married!” If your belief is that marriage is between a man and a woman only, then by all means, marry someone of the opposite sex. Just don’t deny other people basic rights based on a trait that they are born with.

Suggestions are very much welcome!!!

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
:D

thanks.

i wonder how people will react to it. and how much hate i'll receive. :|

Let us know about the comments...I think it would be very interesting.

Nice job, btw!

Great article-so many excellent points, thanks to all the people in this thread, and I like how you stated that those who oppose gay marriage were still entitled to think what they wanted, but that a ban was unnecessary, because I think one thing that really fuels the anti-gay marriage side and makes them so insistent on getting their way on everything regarding gay marriage is their feeling that they're not being allowed to say their piece. But if they can do that, it makes them less likely to go all ban-crazy.

Anywho, I'd love to hear the comments you get, too...that could be quite interesting, indeed, seeing the arguments people come up with to try and go against your arguments. And again, a great article-I couldn't agree more with it.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom