Wright leaves Obama campaign

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

Pearl said:

I think the problem is Obama is not as smart as he sounds.

Obama isn't a lot of things that people perceive him to be.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

2861U2 said:

Obama isn't a lot of things that people perceive him to be.

How am I suppose to trust your perception? You've believed a lot of things that have been proven wrong...

IfWhiteAmericaToldTheTruthForOneDayIt'sWorldWouldFallApart Lyrics

"Images of perfection, suntan and napalm
Grenada - Haiti - Poland - Nicaragua
who shall we choose for out morality
I'm thinking right now of Hollywood tragedy
big mac: smack: phoenix r: please smile y'all
Cuba, Mexico can't cauterize our discipline
your idols speak so much of the abyss
yet your morals only run as deep as the surface
cool - groovey - morning - fine
Tipper Gore was a friend of mine
I love a free country
the stars and stripes and an apple for mommy
conservative say there ain't no black in the union jack
democrat say there ain't enough white in the stars and stripes
Compton - Harlem - a pimp fucked a priest
the white man has just found a new moral saviour
vital stats - how white was their skin
unimportant - just another inner-city drive-by thing
morning - fine - serve your first coffee of the day
real privilege, it will take your problems all away
number one - the best - no excuse from me
I am here to serve the moral majority
cool - groovey - morning - fine
Tipper Gore was a friend of mine
I love a free country
the stars and stripes and an apple for mommy
Zapruder the first to masturbate
the world's first taste of crucified grace
and we say there's not enough black in the union jack
and we say there's too much white in the stars and stripes
fuck the Brady bill
fuck the Brady bill
if God made man they say
Sam Colt made him equal. "

/\ MANIC STREET PREACHERS

Senator John McCain hailed as a spiritual adviser an Ohio megachurch pastor who has called upon Christians to wage a "war" against the "false religion" of Islam with the aim of destroying it.

Spiritual advisers

are a crock of shit.

Rasputin and Grand Inquisitors :up:

rasputin22.jpg

Last edited:
"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," he said. "We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant. Because the stuff we have done overseas has now brought right back into our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

replace palestinians with israelis, and black south africans with unborn babies and you pretty much have Hagee.

Dreadsox said:

Since I cannot PM I would like a MOD to contact me Dreadsox@aol.com.

Most mods have their email addy in their sig line so non premium members can also easily contact them (usually it's their user name @interference.com). My suggestion is that you email one of the mods who is listed on FYM and ask rather than hope a mod reads this thread and contacts you.

* edited to add -- Actually you might just want to look here

Your thread was folded into the Campaign/Debate Discussion thread where several people were already commenting on the same issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for finding it.....

I find that disappointing. Every issue could be folded into it. Som edeserve a looking at outside of the general campaign thread.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How am I suppose to trust your perception?

I'm not asking you to. But there are a good number of people (especially college kids, I would imagine, who don't know much about politics) who see Obama as not your typical politician, middle-of-the-road, non-partisan change agent, when in fact he isn't any of those things.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

2861U2 said:

(especially college kids, I would imagine, who don't know much about politics)

Out of every demographic, I feel college kids should be the most informed, it's ashame so many aren't...

She knew Wright and Obama that long ago (20 years)?

There's a double standard going on. McCain is associated with ministers who are saying bad things about Catholics and Jews. One of these ministers is saying that Hurricane Katrina was just punishment for the people of New Orleans. Also, someone from the Obama campaign said that Hillary is associated with Billy Graham and that he has anti-Semitic views. Should they disassociate with these ministers?

verte76 said:
One of these ministers is saying that Hurricane Katrina was just punishment for the people of New Orleans. ?

if there was flood, and a Noah
why is that belief less reasonable?

and if there was a Sodom that burned?

Why is it less reasonable to conclude the the great fire in San Francisco 1906 was not God's punishment?

BorderGirl said:
Barack now says that his friend and mentor, Rev. Wright's (his pastor) comments are basically divisive and that "we have to speak up forcefully against them".

I am getting confussed?

Obama's church accuses media of character assassination

By: Mike Allen
March 16, 2008 03:47 PM EST

The Chicago church attended by Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) issued a statement Sunday contending that coverage of his pastor’s inflammatory remarks amounted to character assassination and “an attack on … the history of the African American church.”

Will Obama stand with his church, friend and pastor that married him and Michelle, or join the assassins?

this horrible/nasty/anti-american/anti-white pastor -- who has been, you know, around for 30 years and is written about in Obama's memoirs and who's church the America-hating Oprah Winfrey often attends -- has, believe it or not, written and said other things than what you've seen on the news.

how about this:

[q]The real lesson Hannah gives us from this chapter—the most important word God would have us hear—is how to hope when the love of God is not plainly evident. It's easy to hope when there are evidences all around of how good God is. But to have the audacity to hope when that love is not evident—you don't know where that somewhere is that my grandmother sang about, or if there will ever be that brighter day—that is a true test of a Hannah-type faith. To take the one string you have left and to have the audacity to hope—make music and praise God on and with whatever it is you've got left, even though you can't see what God is going to do—that's the real word God will have us hear from this passage and from Watt's painting.

There's a true-life illustration that demonstrates the principles portrayed so powerfully in this periscope. And I close with it. My mom and my dad used to sing a song that I've not been able to find in any of the published hymnals. It's an old song out of the black religious tradition called "Thank you, Jesus." It's a very simple song. Some of you have heard it. It's simply goes, "Thank you Jesus. I thank you Jesus. I thank you Jesus. I thank you Lord." To me they always sang that song at the strangest times—when the money got low, or when the food was running out. When I was getting in trouble, they would start singing that song. And I never understood it, because as a child it seemed to me they were thanking God that we didn't have any money, or thanking God that we had no food, or thanking God that I was making a fool out of myself as a kid.

But I was only looking at the horizontal level. I did not understand nor could I see back then the vertical hookup that my mother and my father had. I did not know then that they were thanking him in advance for all they dared to hope he would do one day to their son, in their son, and through their son. That's why they prayed. That's why they hoped. That's why they kept on praying with no visible sign on the horizon. And I thank God I had praying parents, because now some thirty-five years later, when I look at what God has done in my life, I understand clearly why Hannah had the audacity to hope. Why my parents had the audacity to hope.

And that's why I say to you, hope is what saves us. Keep on hoping; keep on praying. God does hear and answer prayer.[/q]

but keep waiting for your table at the Cheesecake Factory, white people, and only hear that which makes you uncomfortable, instead of grasping the complexity of this entire situation.

and, yes, i do think there's a world of intellectual difference -- from what i have read -- between Hagee and Wright.

did Wright offend me? yes, but not in the "Hillary ain't never been called a n*gger" speech, but in the "America's chickens have come home to roost" speech.

but you know what?

i can listen and talk to and respect people i don't agree with.

i think Obama can do that to. can you imagine? i know, right? ker-azy. i'd much prefer a president who has nice men come to his office and tell him that things are just going so awful well in Iraq.

To the extent that one could argue for Obama's relationship with Wright possibly hinting at misguided-loyalty tendencies, I can understand consternation over it to a point. But in general I agree with Irvine. Obama has publically distanced himself and his campaign from Wright, and he's never expressed support for the stances Wright is being criticized for. I've had mentor figures in my own life who I'd cringe to think people might imagine I see as "role models" in a holistic sense, but whom I personally retain deep gratitude and affection towards nonetheless; I can understand the ambivalence about publically rejecting their support.

Irvine511 said:

but keep waiting for your table at the Cheesecake Factory, white people,

That's the 2nd time you've used that reference. I suppose as a stereotype, there's just enough truth in it to make it humorous. But I'm guessing, as a liberal in good standing, you'd never, ever, refer to blacks waiting in line for Popeye's fried chicken. Would that be because, as a white you're allowed to lampoon whites or because a double standard exists?
did Wright offend me? yes, but not in the "Hillary ain't never been called a n*gger" speech,
Why not?
What happened to your insistence on the separation of church and state?
About questioning the tax-exempt status of churches too overtly tied to one candidate or political party?
So is it now OK to openly endorse or deride political candidates from the pulpit, if you happen to agree?

Rev Wright disgusts me, not as a white, but as an American. No differently than does the inane and ignorant comments of Cindy Sheehan, Michael Moore, Code Pink, the 9/11 Truthers and others.

INDY500 said:

That's the 2nd time you've used that reference. I suppose as a stereotype, there's just enough truth in it to make it humorous.
I'm guessing you thought your stereotype of liberals and FYM in the Airplane thread was funny...

INDY500 said:

Why not?
What happened to your insistence on the separation of church and state?
About questioning the tax-exempt status of churches too overtly tied to one candidate or political party?
So is it now OK to openly endorse or deride political candidates from the pulpit, if you happen to agree?

Rev Wright disgusts me, not as a white, but as an American. No differently than does the inane and ignorant comments of Cindy Sheehan, Michael Moore, Code Pink, the 9/11 Truthers and others.

Does Hagee fall in that list as well or do you give him a free ride due to his extreme right membership?

Irvine511 said:
but keep waiting for your table at the Cheesecake Factory, white people, and only hear that which makes you uncomfortable, instead of grasping the complexity of this entire situation.

Don Imus said plenty of positive things about various African Americans in his many years on the radio but he was fired for one offensive comment.

it works both ways.

and...

Cheesecake Factory :drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom