wounded, heroic gay soldier too gay to serve - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Abomb-baby

Well actually,I would like to know how you know there have been no problems. Are you serving in some foreign military unit that allows them to openly serve?According to the article posted by Dread the british Navy still has a problem with anyone openly admitting they are gay. Seems the Limeys must not be as progressive as you all think, otherwise all the gay sailors would be outing themselves, which they AREN'T DOING according to the article.
The "Limey" navy has a strong gay tradition, quite genuinely. There was a very senior commander who died about 5 years ago who was gay.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:27 AM
I am AMAZED at how people will focus on ONE aspect of the article

[Q]Recently, gay men and women in the British services have lived and fought in Iraq alongside heterosexuals without problems, according to military officials. [/Q]

Old 04-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #78
The Fly

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am AMAZED at how people will focus on ONE aspect of the article

[Q]Recently, gay men and women in the British services have lived and fought in Iraq alongside heterosexuals without problems, according to military officials. [/Q]
Funny you seem to be doing the same thing Dread.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

You wanted to know how I knew there were no problems? Read the sentence above.

Melon
Old 04-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #80
The Fly

And I'm sure Sarah Lyall, Ultra Liberal writer for the NY Times would always tell the entire truth. She has no agenda whatsoever, right? And even if it was true, one article does truth not make.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie

ok, yoda.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it.

I don't know. I give up. As much as I know from my own life experience about being gay, I can't force people to give up their stereotypes, no more than I can make racists think black people are equal. Or make anti-Semites believe that Jews are not spawns of Satan.

But whatever. The breeders always set the agenda, while the rest of us are along for the ride, whether we like it or not.

Melon
Old 04-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #83
She's the One

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The breeders always set the agenda, while the rest of us are along for the ride, whether we like it or not.

Oh man, is this true.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Its funny how no one has still been able to answer my question regarding living with a person who finds the same sex attractive. If I am a straight man, why should I have to sleep or shower in the same quarters as someone who may possibly get some gratification in it? Women aren't made to sleep and shower with men in the military. Please explain how this is different? And don't give me this crap about "you already shower with gay men, you just don't know it." Well, there is a difference in knowing and NOT knowing, isn't there? So, what your saying is basically the only people who have a right to have there feelings validated are gays? If I don't want to live and sleep in the same quarters as someone who is gay, only because I don't want them POSSIBLY getting some sexual gratification from it, to bad, suck it up? I mean explain the difference between me not being able to live in the female barracks and a gay man living in an all male barracks. And to set the record straight, I could care less if you are gay or not. What you do or don't do is none of my business and that is not my issue here. Just answer the question and stop skirting around it, and getting all dramatic with one sentence posts
No one has to jion the army,...you want to rob a gay of the right to protect your country because you don`t like to watch gaymen dick`s ?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:28 AM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And I'm sure Sarah Lyall, Ultra Liberal writer for the NY Times would always tell the entire truth. She has no agenda whatsoever, right? And even if it was true, one article does truth not make.

ugh. this is the lowest form of debate possible, and something that's infected American discourse like a plauge.

whenever someone finds a news report that disagrees with their particular view, they dismiss the article and writer and source of publication.

it's a wonderful way to narrow your worldview, and only allow in viewpoints that support what you already believe to be true.

anyway, it's very simple: your perceived uncomfortableness at being in a shower with someone who might possibly find you attractive -- even though this has probably happened before, and you haven't noticed -- isn't grounds to deny someone their right to military service.

i also think sex-segregation has more to do with differences in anatomoical make-up and our traditional splitting-up of the genders when it comes to washrooms and such than it does this idea that it's only the strict division of the genders that prevents mass orgies.

and when it comes to being "openly" gay and in the military, it's not as if the gay men in your unit are going to wear rainbow-colored uniforms. the removal of dont'-ask-don't-tell will pretty much remove the fear of discharge that many men live under. they will probably act no differently than they did before, but they won't have to hide the fact that they may live with a man, or that they might have just broken up with their boyfriend.

one real-life case: there was recently a terrific article in the Washington Post about the Gay/Lesbian coordinator for the DC police department. one example of gay-related calls that they respond to was a sitaution where one part of a male-male couple had been beaten by his partner. this man who was beaten worked at the Pentagon, and thus couldn't press charges against his abusive partner and not jeapordize his job.

but, hey, let's worry about you being scared to shower with somenoe.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #86
The Fly

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
here they go with that "liberal media" bullshit all over again...
Old 04-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #87
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

whenever someone finds a news report that disagrees with their particular view, they dismiss the article and writer and source of publication.

it's a wonderful way to narrow your worldview, and only allow in viewpoints that support what you already believe to be true.

And I suppose you get all your news information from the weekly standard and Fox news, right? I mean, I love how you all dismiss what I say as bullshit, but the fact is people use the media to support there viewpoints. I could post articles from all sorts of conservative media outlets debunking what the writer says and you would all dismiss it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #88
The Fly

Quote:

And I suppose you get all your news information from the weekly standard and Fox news, right? I mean, I love how you all dismiss what I say as bullshit, but the fact is people use the media to support there viewpoints. I could post articles from all sorts of conservative media outlets debunking what the writer says and you would all dismiss it in a heartbeat.
dismiss fox news? never, lol...

there is no fucking liberal media. a good number of them may very well be democrats, and a good number are republicans as well. your argument is so full of shit.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #89
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Okay, let's all try to keep the main point of this thread in mind. For those of you who may have forgotten, we're discussing whether or not gay soldiers who have acted heroically in combat should be dismissed from the service solely on the basis of their sexuality. In a larger sense, we're discussing "don't ask, don't tell" and the role of homosexuals in military life.

Carry on, and this time without the "this is complete bullshit" remarks that have been coming from both sides.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 AM   #90
The Fly

no, it's not right that the government gives a rat's ass what they do in the bedroom ("as long as it doesn't interfere w/ bush's warfare agenda"). next complaint will probably be "what about all the heteros who are running short on women?"

it's a bunch of theocratic bigotry if you ask me.