wounded, heroic gay soldier too gay to serve - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:52 AM
[Q]Originally posted by Abomb-baby
As a military member and a heterosexual, [/Q]

As a former military member.....I disagree. I had contact with gay soldier. They served honorably and not once did they act anything other than professional.

[Q]I believe that having an openly gay person in your platoon, unit, etc. would cause some issues. I highly doubt that everyone in his unit is ok with it. [/Q]

So avoid the problem? Shall we go back in time to the first African American served in a platoon. Should we have not integrated the unit because someone was not OK with it.

Sorry, when did the service become a democracy that everyone had to be OK with it?

[Q]There is a reason men and women don't live in the same quarters or shower together out in the deserts of Iraq...gay men are attracted to...MEN. And please don't tell me that somehow they are able to keep there libido in check.[/Q]

So let me understand this, men cannot keep their libido in check?
Straight or Homosexual?

[Q]I wouldn't like it, and I have gay friends. If thats the case, the the next time I'm deployed, I want to shower with the women!! Okay, bring on the flames....
[/Q]

Well have you asked your friends about their opinion on serving their country?

If you play your cards right, anything is possible and your shower thing could happen.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:17 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

The amusing thing here is the assumption that because of don't ask don't tell you ASSUME you are serving with all straight men.

I guarentee you that you have showered with someone who is gay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One other point, separating men and woman does not stop them from engaging in sexual activity.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:31 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Why think straight men always that they atractive for gay men ?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:06 PM   #49
The Fly

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Its funny how no one has still been able to answer my question regarding living with a person who finds the same sex attractive. If I am a straight man, why should I have to sleep or shower in the same quarters as someone who may possibly get some gratification in it? Women aren't made to sleep and shower with men in the military. Please explain how this is different? And don't give me this crap about "you already shower with gay men, you just don't know it." Well, there is a difference in knowing and NOT knowing, isn't there? So, what your saying is basically the only people who have a right to have there feelings validated are gays? If I don't want to live and sleep in the same quarters as someone who is gay, only because I don't want them POSSIBLY getting some sexual gratification from it, to bad, suck it up? I mean explain the difference between me not being able to live in the female barracks and a gay man living in an all male barracks. And to set the record straight, I could care less if you are gay or not. What you do or don't do is none of my business and that is not my issue here. Just answer the question and stop skirting around it, and getting all dramatic with one sentence posts
Old 04-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

I have too (straight) friends who shared apartments with gay guys. Neither had problems of the nature you describe.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

I think these stereotypes of gay men are mostly stereotypes of straight men being projected onto gay men.

After all, straight men think they can treat women like cattle and throw themselves on top of them. "No" means "yes."

And now straight men are afraid that their misogynist attitude will come back to bite them in the ass (pun intended). The fact remains that straight men are threatened by gay men, and so to keep their "manhood" intact, they have to demean gay men just like they demean women on a regular basis.

The fact remains that so many straight men are pathetic, immature schoolyard bullies who never learned to fucking GROW UP. No, the main difference, you see, is that gay men have something called "taste," and while many women have no problem with a brutish ignorant fat slob of a husband (and they seem to prefer them, as "nice" straight guys still seem to be single all the time), gay men want nothing to do with that.

So, in short, straight guys have nothing to worry about. Gay men have higher standards.

Melon
Old 04-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

And, yes, I'm being hyperbolic on purpose.

Melon
Old 04-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

After all, straight men think they can treat women like cattle and throw themselves on top of them. "No" means "yes."

The fact remains that so many straight men are pathetic, immature schoolyard bullies who never learned to fucking GROW UP.

Melon
These are stereotypes also, surely. What about women who tease men or even psychologically bully them to get what they want? It's not as one-sided as you suppose.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:35 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Abomb-baby
Its funny how no one has still been able to answer my question regarding living with a person who finds the same sex attractive.

Interesting how you say the same thing again and again. Ever lived in a college dorm? men and women in the same dorm, sometimes even using the same showering facilities?

[Q]If I am a straight man, why should I have to sleep or shower in the same quarters as someone who may possibly get some gratification in it? Women aren't made to sleep and shower with men in the military. Please explain how this is different? And don't give me this crap about "you already shower with gay men, you just don't know it." [/Q]

It's not crap its true. You most likely are or have lived with a gay man.

Just curious though, whate exactly are women MADE for? I served with many women in the Army. We worked, played, partied, and yes, sometime had sex together.

Apparently wehn you are on duty, you never ever check out or get sexual gratification from being near a female.

[Q]Well, there is a difference in knowing and NOT knowing, isn't there? So, what your saying is basically the only people who have a right to have there feelings validated are gays? If I don't want to live and sleep in the same quarters as someone who is gay, only because I don't want them POSSIBLY getting some sexual gratification from it, to bad, suck it up? [/Q]

Very similar arguments were made about the integration of blacks into the services.

[Q]I mean explain the difference between me not being able to live in the female barracks and a gay man living in an all male barracks. And to set the record straight, I could care less if you are gay or not. What you do or don't do is none of my business and that is not my issue here. Just answer the question and stop skirting around it, and getting all dramatic with one sentence posts
[/Q]

Apparently you are very worried about the issue.

The point is gays can perform their duty with honor. It does not matter what they are.

But seriously, do you find yourself constantly wanting to have sex with every woman that you come into contact with? Are you unable to work and concentrate at your job if you are around women? Or do you have the ability to do your job and go about your business without walking around constantly aroused?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:37 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
These are stereotypes also, surely. What about women who tease men or even psychologically bully them to get what they want? It's not as one-sided as you suppose.
"I'm being hyperbolic on purpose."

I guess my point was mostly that I'm tired of gays being targeted as "the problem." I can certainly show it from a different POV. It was mostly an academic exercise.

The fact remains that all these stereotypes of gays presented here are no different than stereotypes of straight men, which I have just presented.

Enjoy.

Melon
Old 04-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

For the life of me I cannot remember the thread, but there were some great points made about the stereotyping of gays....

as sexually unable to control themselves and promiscuous....

I must be really ugly, since I have never been hit on by any of my gay aquaintences.....hmmmm
Old 04-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #57
The Fly

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Melon, thank you again for not answering my question. I knew I could count on you to once again avoid it.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Abomb-baby
Melon, thank you again for not answering my question. I knew I could count on you to once again avoid it.
You're welcome. The pleasure is all mine.

Melon
Old 04-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

You're welcome. The pleasure is all mine.

Melon

I think he is attracted to your mind Melon....
Old 04-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

"I'm being hyperbolic on purpose."

Sure, I had posted a reply before I saw your follow up. I did have a sneaking suspicion you might have been indulging in a bit of the ole hyperbole.