wounded, heroic gay soldier too gay to serve - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2005, 07:45 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
[i]
I think the whole shower issue is a very weak argument to base the entire homophobia of the army on. Want me to solve it? Create some showering schedules.
[/B]
You've obviously never served.. Sorry, not practical for many military members especially those in the army. What about the navy where all the men live in very close quarters and shower all together at the same time. That is the schedule...Everyone together!! I don't think the military should have to start making all sorts of new procedures because of gay people. The policy is still don't ask don't tell. If you don't like it, don't join! If you suddenly have an epifany that your gay, the policy hasn't changed..you have!! Keep your mouth shut or get out! Its really not that hard to figure out. If you don't like it, write your congressman or woman and get the policy changed. I know people in the military now who are gay, but they are women. I personally don't have any other issues with gay men serving other than showering/ living with someone who might view me as sexually desirable. But that is a HUGE issue!!

Old 04-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Tell me, how different is this from not allowing black people to attend the same schools back in the 50's? Back then it was skin color, now it's sexual preference.

Weren't "all men created equal"?

Old 04-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:38 PM
I've known plenty of gay people, and in all of the cases I didn't know the people were gay until someone else told me they were. Gays show their sexuality the way most other people do, with all due reserve. I don't see how this guy can get a Purple Heart and then they claim he's not fit to serve. This makes no sense to me.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Abomb-baby

You've obviously never served.. Sorry, not practical for many military members especially those in the army. What about the navy where all the men live in very close quarters and shower all together at the same time. That is the schedule...Everyone together!! I don't think the military should have to start making all sorts of new procedures because of gay people. The policy is still don't ask don't tell. If you don't like it, don't join! If you suddenly have an epifany that your gay, the policy hasn't changed..you have!! Keep your mouth shut or get out! Its really not that hard to figure out. If you don't like it, write your congressman or woman and get the policy changed. I know people in the military now who are gay, but they are women. I personally don't have any other issues with gay men serving other than showering/ living with someone who might view me as sexually desirable. But that is a HUGE issue!!

putting showering aside -- though i'm a little shocked that you don't think that you could live with a gay man, i suppose you must be amazingly attractive since your working assumption is that they would find you sexually attractive at all times thus making you uncomfortable ... we do leer, it's true, and we're always trying to get straight men drunk so we can take advantage of them, and, really, if you're uncomfortable then we should deny others the right to serve -- what about the dozens of gay interpreters who have been dismissed? like, gay members of the military who speak fluent Arabic, probably the most useful skill the army needs right now. there have been many, many stories about someone who slips up -- says "my boyfriend" or someone finds out or that soldier simply gets sick of having to keep a major part of their lives quiet while straight people talk about their marriages, children, and girlfriends without a second thought -- and then gets fired.

there's much more to the army than the infantry, but "don't ask don't tell" applies to everyone.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:52 AM   #20
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:

I personally don't have any other issues with gay men serving other than showering/ living with someone who might view me as sexually desirable. But that is a HUGE issue!!

Sexual attraction is no different for a gay man/lesbian woman than it is for a straight man/straight woman. Do you become attracted to every female you have regular contact with? Why would you assume that a gay man would be attracted you simply because you shared close quarters?

I am straight but some of my closest friends are lesbians and we share hotel rooms, change in front of each other and even share beds but I can assure you, I have never been hit on or felt uncomfortable.

Gays and lesbians are quite capable of controlling their libidos. They don't want to convert you and they don't find every straight man or woman attractive.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I personally don't have any other issues with gay men serving other than showering/ living with someone who might view me as sexually desirable.
You'd probably be more insulted if gay men thought you were gross and unattractive.

Melon
Old 04-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:38 PM
"Moral" sense isn't always common sense. Why would we throw away some of our best?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #23
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

You'd probably be more insulted if gay men thought you were gross and unattractive.

Melon
Uh, No I wouldn't. I would prefer it.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #24
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Uh, abomb, please be a bit more considerate of the fact that we have openly gay posters here, and that this is a very personal and deeply felt issue for them.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
They don't want to convert you and they don't find every straight man or woman attractive.
And it's usually the gross straight guys who whine that they don't want a gay guy looking at them. Well, if no one finds you attractive, gay guys certainly won't.

Melon
Old 04-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

abomb is afraid, though, that a gay military man will come up to him in the shower, and abomb will suddenly realize that he's gay and have a hot makeout session with one of his mates.

Melon
Old 04-08-2005, 09:20 AM   #27
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Uh, abomb, please be a bit more considerate of the fact that we have openly gay posters here, and that this is a very personal and deeply felt issue for them.

Thanks.
Excuse me, but I have said nothing here to try and insult anyone. I'm sorry I thought this was the DEBATE area of the forum. Or am I not allowed to have a difference of opinion? Not much here to debate if we all agree on everything all the time. I would t least expect all the "free thinkers" who think I'm so wrong to at least defend my right to disagree.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

I think while we're at it, let's discharge every soldier who admits his heterosexuality. Don't talk about girlfriends or wives, and don't even think about having them live on base.

After all, all that talk about "sex" would be a distraction and bring down troop morale!

Melon
Old 04-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Excuse me, but I have said nothing here to try and insult anyone. I'm sorry I thought this was the DEBATE area of the forum. Or am I not allowed to have a difference of opinion? Not much here to debate if we all agree on everything all the time. I would t least expect all the "free thinkers" who think I'm so wrong to at least defend my right to disagree.
You're allowed to have a difference of opinion. By all means, continue to air it.

Be aware, though, that I write my own counter-opinion, and in various ways generally to try and force people to think.

Cheers...

Melon
Old 04-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #30
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Uh, No I wouldn't. I would prefer it.
That struck me as pretty offensive, actually.

We do welcome free debate in here, and you're entitled to your opinion, but this is a moderated forum and we do have certain standards of decency to which we expect people to adhere.

Thank you.

Join Amnesty.