Would you work for a company... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2002, 09:49 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

I donīt want to downplay the bad effects of alcohol or smoking, but weapons are dangerous at a different, higher level.

They are produced for hurting or killing. Missiles can destroy all planet Earth at once; alcohol or smoking couldnīt, I think. Illegal arms trade has a rendezvous with illegal drug trafficking, too.
I was expecting this The point I was making is just that alcohol still is a dangerous product. Obviously comparing it to weaponry is different.

On the other hand, is it any different to produce weapons to defend the country and joining the army/marines/navy/airforce/etc ?

Old 07-24-2002, 10:44 AM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
thanks everyone. interesting ideas floating around.

well if we want to live in a land of freedom we need the means to defend that freedom.
I'm not 100 % sure about this, I might be wrong... I'm about 85 % sure.. so don't blame me if I'm wrong :P :
The producers of weapons etc. sometimes sell their products to other countries as well. That would mean that you can't be sure of if the weapons will be used just as defence.
Can someone confirm this?
I know, for example, that Sweden (my country) sold planes (of the kind to be used in war) to southafrica once. It's not exactly the exact thing but something similar...

Old 07-24-2002, 11:00 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FReAk

I'm not 100 % sure about this, I might be wrong... I'm about 85 % sure.. so don't blame me if I'm wrong :P :
The producers of weapons etc. sometimes sell their products to other countries as well. That would mean that you can't be sure of if the weapons will be used just as defence.
Can someone confirm this?
Yes, I can confirm. Nearly every country sells weapons internationally, too. The U.S. is the world-wide leader of arms exports. There are foreign military sales (FMS, means the Pentagon sells to other countries/ armies) and direct commercial sales (DCS, means the corporations sell directly, approved by a license they have to get from the State Department). I think U.S. DCS were around 40 bil in 2000.

oliveu2cm: I fail to see any difference; you never know/ can guarantee what the weaponry will be used for.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:05 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

oliveu2cm: I fail to see any difference; you never know/ can guarantee what the weaponry will be used for.
i'm confused- I said yes, weapons are different from the alcohol business. The point i was trying to make is that alcohol is still a destructive force on its own scale.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:11 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 PM
after working for a nonprofit philanthropical organization ... there's no going back.

so the answer is a definitive no. i'm like john cusack in 'say anything':

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or... process anything sold, bought or processed, or repair anything sold, bought or processed, you know, as a career I don't want to do that.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:33 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

i'm confused- I said yes, weapons are different from the alcohol business. The point i was trying to make is that alcohol is still a destructive force on its own scale.
Yes, I am the same opinion. Why are you confused?

Oh i think i got it... you were not asking for the difference between producing arms for defending and producing arms for attacking

You were asking for the difference between the "evil" of producing arms and the possible "evil" joining the army/ et al?

Iīll leave this to z edge. Who knows, maybe he is more qualified referring to this case.