World-wide quality of life survey - Swiss & Canadian cities tops - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2006, 07:42 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:43 AM
To be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time in Brisbane, only jetted in and out when absolutely necessary (work, weddings etc), but I agree about the Gold Coasts design. It's just fucking ugly to begin with. I must say the view from the top of that new Q1 is spectacular, but on the ground it's just an awful, awful place. Ruined two decades ago and made worse ever since. They should just completely open it up to gambling like Vegas and just let it be done with. That's it's destiny and we all know it. Some fucking roller coaster and Eiffel Tower replica on the beach. Perfect.

Good book to read: Secret Life of the Gold Coast written by a cynical Sydney based music writer, Brendan Shanahan, who lived there for a few months. If you hate the Gold Coast, you'll love it.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:53 PM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
On the traffic front, I find it funny Sydney and Auckland ranked highest yet both have appauling Road Systems.

Sydney is bareable at say 3am in the morning... just. But it does have a reasonably efficient rail system which does help.

Auckland on the other hand is the second largest city in the world in terms of land size yet has absolutely no public transport system of note to speak of. When I was last there it was utter gridlock from 7am-12pm and then again from 3pm-7pm. I love the place to bits but I am surprised it ranked so high.
Being an avid railfan, I have been most intrigued to read about the improvements in the commuter rail network ever since Connex took over operations a couple of years ago. The Western line's finally being double-tracked, services are more frequent, a line's being built into the centre of Manukau - all good stuff. Now if only they had the sense to upgrade the Onehunga Branch for passenger traffic and then extend it down to the airport! A line to the North Shore wouldn't go astray either, though a bridge or tunnel would cost a bloody fortune.

It's going to be interesting finding my way around Auckland when I'm there next month. I hope there's a train station within walking distance of Ericsson Stadium.

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
To be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time in Brisbane, only jetted in and out when absolutely necessary (work, weddings etc), but I agree about the Gold Coasts design. It's just fucking ugly to begin with. I must say the view from the top of that new Q1 is spectacular, but on the ground it's just an awful, awful place. Ruined two decades ago and made worse ever since. They should just completely open it up to gambling like Vegas and just let it be done with. That's it's destiny and we all know it. Some fucking roller coaster and Eiffel Tower replica on the beach. Perfect.

Good book to read: Secret Life of the Gold Coast written by a cynical Sydney based music writer, Brendan Shanahan, who lived there for a few months. If you hate the Gold Coast, you'll love it.
I think you just named my next book purchase. I've lived on the Gold Coast for over eight years now, and with every passing year, hated the place more and more. I haven't even been to Surfer's Paradise in about 4 years - utterly awful, tacky, trashy place.

I just cannot get over how there's no actual direction to the road network here, and that everything is sacrificed in the name of more housing developments and subdivisions. All these narrow, illogical streets winding around ugly houses built too close together just so the maximum amount of suckers can live in this horrid city.

Maybe if drought conditions caused the Hinze Dam to run dry, there would be a mass exodus from the city and it might become liveable?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:43 AM
heh, Atlanta's lowest in North America (90.5). Not surprising...These figures are just the city proper, right?