World Wide Communion Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BostonAnne

Refugee
Did all of the Christians here that attended Church participate in Communion today?

At our service, we strayed from our usual bread/wine (grape juice) and had different breads from the world (tortilla, rice cake, corn bread) and different wines (kool aid, pineaple juice and water) representing how other countries celebrate Communion. I thought that was neat.

I also would like to share with you our Prayer of Confession today:

O God, when we see pictures of our planet earth taken from space,
we see there are no boundaries or walls separating us from each other.
Beyond mountains and oceans, what separates us are words:
our tendency to divide our world into "us" and "them".

Forgive us.
Open our hearts to a new way of seeing the people of the world,
and together may we all come to know your peace.

When we said it, I could imagine Bono telling us that it'll be a Beautiful Day when there is no them, only us. :D

U2democrat said:
We also had different kinds of bread, including Jewish bread. (Jesus was after all the king of the JEWS, I don't get it when some christians are anti-semetic :huh:)

I'm sorry, I just had this image of the bread wearing a kippah.... :huh:

U2democrat said:
We also had different kinds of bread, including Jewish bread. (Jesus was after all the king of the JEWS, I don't get it when some christians are anti-semetic :huh:)

I don't remember having different breads before. Is this a yearly thing to do on World Wide Communion Sunday - or just something done this year? It really worked in feeling united with Christians from all around the world. I don't remember the same impact during the last couple of years since I've been attending.

Verte, you have brought to me a new found respect for Catholicism. I was brought up in the Catholic Church and had a lot of issues, but they are with the hierarchy - not the people. Catholics are taught to serve Jesus well. That's what I think it's all about. :up:

Was the fact that it is world wide communion mentioned at Mass?

I served communion at both services this morning. We have also used different types of bread to help illustrate the universality of God's grace. I think we started doing this in the last year or so.

Gah...I didn't hear anything about it! But then, I was at my grandmother's church this morning, and it was my uncle's Memorial Mass and the close of their yearlong Diamond Jubilee to boot, PLUS the International Statue of Fatima was visiting the church today, so...

nbcrusader said:
I served communion at both services this morning. We have also used different types of bread to help illustrate the universality of God's grace. I think we started doing this in the last year or so.

Are you a Deacon nbc?

I need to get back to Church...i've been telling hubby that I want to go back to mass...he doesn't want to go and I don't want to go by myself :|

BostonAnne said:
Verte, you have brought to me a new found respect for Catholicism. I was brought up in the Catholic Church and had a lot of issues, but they are with the hierarchy - not the people. Catholics are taught to serve Jesus well. That's what I think it's all about. :up:

Was the fact that it is world wide communion mentioned at Mass?

No, it wasn't. I admit I didn't know this myself until I saw your post. I actually also have some issues with the Catholic hierarchy. I don't agree with their statements about gay marriage, for example. Officially that is "non-binding" stuff anyway. I also disagree about giving the Eucharist to pro-choice politicians. Pax Christi Illinois issued a statement blasting this, calling it "coercive". The important thing about being a Catholic for me is what happens at mass and the other sacraments and putting them into practice in daily life. We had a priest who ended mass by saying "the mass never ends, it must be lived".

Last edited:
I'm a deacon! I serve practically every sunday. Since i'm the PK i'm there by default and people ask me to sub for them all the time and then i have my assigned months. I don't mind though. They're gonna miss me when i'm at college!

U2democrat - you are such a young deacon! What a lot of reponsibility! We have a girl in our congregation that is around your age and a deacon too. I admire both of you!

What is a PK?

nbcrusader said:

I'm an Elder in a Presbyterian Church.

A few years back, I learned that any believer can serve communion - the is nothing Scriptural which limits it to clergy.

I learned that a few years ago too. :up: Usually our Pastors or Deacons serve Communion, but come to think of it - I've seen others doing it too.

PK = preacher's kid; which means a lot of eyes are watching you grow up.

This thread reminds me that I should start serving communion at home.

nbcrusader said:
PK = preacher's kid; which means a lot of eyes are watching you grow up.

too true, nbc! some of those eyes are critical, but most are supportive.
my big sister is also a minister and so is her husband, and of course, so is my dad.

and i want to be in politics. :|

BostonAnne said:

O God, when we see pictures of our planet earth taken from space,
we see there are no boundaries or walls separating us from each other.
Beyond mountains and oceans, what separates us are words:
our tendency to divide our world into "us" and "them".

Forgive us.
Open our hearts to a new way of seeing the people of the world,
and together may we all come to know your peace.

i am a former believer and am admitedly quite skeptical of any/all organized religion these days. however, that prayer is what we need more of in this world. it's nice to see that sentiment coming out of some churches. :up:

I joined an organized religion because I think that people can do lots in groups. In the summer of 2002, Churches rang bells one day for the Jubilee's Drop the Debt effort and I felt left out that I didn't belong to one.

One of the nicest things I've been a part of since joining the Church is cooking for a soup kitchen. It really feels good!

Se7en, if you ever want to check into a Church again perhaps you can find one here:

ucc.org

I've really enjoyed being a part of a congregation working together for good things.

Last edited:
Boston Anne, are you UCC? If so, did you go to the general assembly in Kansas City a couple years ago? It was a joint convention btw. the UCC and Christian Church Disciples of Christ. I'm w/the Disciples of Christ and was there.

Yes, I'm UCC U2democrat. I haven't ventured out of my little congregation as of yet though. My pastors and other members attend UCC things and report back.

Do you know what the difference between UCC & Christian Church Disciples of Christ is?

Back
Top Bottom