worked themselves to death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
It happened again. For the THIRD time since New Year's, I went into WalMart and saw another red ribboned wreath and the pic of a deceased employee, and a book to sign for his family. :( This is the third time a 70 plus year old man has dropped dead in the floor at WalMart. Whatever happened to retirement? Sure they may have wanted to get out of the house, but more and more old folks HAVE to work and are literally working themselves to death. Before somebody blames 'this administration' I have to say Ihave noticed this since at least the early 90's, yes, all through Clinton's reign. It's a sad fact of society, and now with the SS overhaul looming it will only get worse.

In the days before SS, America was largely rural, and also most families were like the Waltons with all generations living together. But society is not like that anymore, and since it's gotten too far away from that we can't go back. So we may be living longer, but at what cost, and at what value? Sorry to be such a downer. But can this be changed before we get old and die like that? :sad:

U2Kitten said:
Before somebody blames 'this administration' I have to say Ihave noticed this since at least the early 90's, yes, all through Clinton's reign. It's a sad fact of society, and now with the SS overhaul looming it will only get worse.

I blame the culture fostered by Reagan, which loosened labor laws and allowed companies to slash pensions and retirement benefits.

It can change, but only if we stop letting politicians deflect from the real issues with diversion issues like flag burning amendments, abortion, and anti-gay amendments--and then voting for candidates who appear "moral." Not so coincidentally, these are the same politicians who are in bed with the business world, who would want nothing more than to screw their employees for larger profits.

FYI, "Social Security Reform" is something that business wants, because businesses have to match your deductions to Social Security and pay them to the federal government. "Private accounts" mean up to 2/3 less deductions, and--you've guessed it--up to 2/3 less in Social Security taxes that big business has to pay.

Melon

Last edited:
I agree that is what happened, but how can Reagan be blamed alone? He could do nothing without congress, and the democrats controlled it most of his time in office. They are guilty too.

U2Kitten said:
I agree that is what happened, but how can Reagan be blamed alone? He could do nothing without congress, and the democrats controlled it most of his time in office. They are guilty too.

Reagan was successful in making "liberal" a bad word, and Democrats, ever since then, have been afraid to develop a backbone. Reagan won in 1984 with a large mandate, and Democrats in Congress (as they are now) were too afraid of being unpopular.

Democrats may be guilty of not speaking up, but they are not guilty of introducing and pushing for labor-unfriendly legislation, which solely squares on the GOP.

Melon

This is really not something that's political but part of corporate America and society as a whole. Sure, politicians DO suck though! :down:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
This is really not something that's political but part of corporate America and society as a whole.

Then it's up to government to reregulate to prevent corporate America from screwing over honest and hard-working Americans. If you deregulate, as we have done over the last 25 years, big business will do whatever it can get away with, just to get higher "quarterly profits."

Reregulation is grossly overdue.

Melon

I totally agree Melon - if no one wants to pay more taxes to take care of us - the least we can do is make sure our Corporations take care of us. Right now, no one is. :down:

If the Social Security reform ends up being something else that Corporations don't have to do to help employees - man I will be very pissed off.

U2kitten - not all people want to retire fully. My boss, who is 78, fully believes that working keeps him healthier. According to him, if he wasn't working - he would have more time to sit around and be miserable.

my dad is 70 years old and he has cancer and he works 14 hours a day 5 days a week. My mother is 59 years old and she works 5-6 days a week. Retirement is not an option. The working poor are alive and well in Northern Maine. And George Bush wants people to "put away money" for their retirement....tell us how Mr. Bush...working 40-60 hours per week we make 12-15 thousand dollars a year.

Re: Re: worked themselves to death

melon said:

I blame the culture fostered by Reagan, which loosened labor laws and allowed companies to slash pensions and retirement benefits.

It can change, but only if we stop letting politicians deflect from the real issues with diversion issues like flag burning amendments, abortion, and anti-gay amendments--and then voting for candidates who appear "moral." Not so coincidentally, these are the same politicians who are in bed with the business world, who would want nothing more than to screw their employees for larger profits.

FYI, "Social Security Reform" is something that business wants, because businesses have to match your deductions to Social Security and pay them to the federal government. "Private accounts" mean up to 2/3 less deductions, and--you've guessed it--up to 2/3 less in Social Security taxes that big business has to pay.

Melon

This is so true. It is all about big business making a big profit. Now Bush wants us to invest our SS in the stock market which will make big business even bigger at the expense of the working class.

ILuvLarryMullen said:
those old loafers just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps!

Wrong

they need to change employers

Costco begins marketing caskets

$800 coffins can be delivered in 48 hours
Caskets at Costco

Nam Y. Huh /
A Costco store offers six models of caskets made by Universal Casket. On Monday, the warehouse retailer started test marketing caskets at two stores in the Chicago area.

The Associated Press

CHICAGO - Whether you're in the market for a good night's sleep or the eternal kind, one store at least has you covered.

Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of soda, started test marketing caskets alongside mattresses at a North Side Chicago store Monday. They're also being sold at a suburban Oak Brook store.

"This is certainly something that can be an easy value," said Gina Bianche, a buyer in Costco's corporate office in Issaquah, Wash. "I don't want to say cheap value, but it just needs to be done."

Each of the six models from the Universal Casket Co., in colors including lilac and Neapolitan blue, is priced at $799.99, made of 18-gauge steel, considered medium weight for caskets, and can be delivered within 48 hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom