Work Harder! People on welfare are depending on you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eep!
icon38.gif

What a fucking stupid thing to say.
Your ignorant attitude towards the less fortunate than yourself is making me feel ill. Do you think people are on welfare because the like it that way?!

Ah Yes.. Ravenstar.. You have run into what I call 'The Plague of Ignorance'.. You make a true, and very accurate statement.. honestly.. Is this not a true statement?... Are you working folks not paying for welfare checks?...

I think you are just labeled 'ignorant' because you are bold, and you spit in the face of this disgusting attitude and caringness towards sensitivity and 'let's not step on anyone's feet' thought process that people like to have so they feel good about themselves at night.

Hell, I'm even being called ignorant a thread over.. Same reason.. different topic..

Call Raven Bold and Realistic.. not ignorant.

I think the ignorance is the poor diction chosen by the previous responder. 'Your Cut and Dry Attitude' maybe would be a good substitute.

SF.. we've got a new empty thread to hijack... the (..) one.. Hahha

L.Unplugged

U2FReAk said:
Your ignorant attitude towards the less fortunate than yourself is making me feel ill. Do you think people are on welfare because the like it that way?!

Um, yes...some people on welfare in the US do like it that way. Some people in the US buy drugs and booze with their welfare checks and sell their food stamps for ten cents on the dollar.

Until they changed the laws a few years ago, all you had to do was have another baby and your check got bigger...at least now they give you a time limit.

I can't answer for Canada or Sweden or anyplace else but here in USA, all you have to do is hold out your hand and the taxpayers fill it up.

Ravenstar's comment was not ignorant, it's the truth.

*Fact...I was raised on welfare and grew up among people with the welfare mentality...luckily I've never needed it myself other than for healthcare many, many years ago. I have relatives with 5 and 6 kids who have never worked a day in their lives and sit home watching soap operas, smoking weed and eating all day. I also know that there are people who truly need welfare and don't abuse it but the fact remains that many people just take what they can get without giving a second thought to whose really footing the bill.

there are several cases around my area where people simply are living too nicely that they do not want to give up sleeping in, having satellite tv and a car to go and get a job when they can enjoy lots from the comfort of their home.

on the flip side, there are many people who definately need assistance, and i have no problem assisting them.

however, reform is definately needed in the welfare system to better help the less fortunate.

U2FReAk said:

the only thing that's ignorant is you linking to an angelfire pic when you can't link to angelfire pics outside the server...unless it was intended and if that's the case then i think it's a hilarious form of irony ;)

**just trying to lighten the mood...i'm only joking.**

Last edited:
That's right... When are we going to get our money back?...

next time, ask someone with food stamps if you can hit up one of em for a pack of chiclets...

L.Unplugged

I never see anyone with food stamps. With our gov, all you have to do is enter our country, claim to be a refugee and you get a place to live, money, and everything you need. No need for food stamps.

There are cases where somebody grew up in a poor family. They never got much education cos there were priorities such as FAMILY.
now they need a job but they have no experience and they can't get experience cos corporations are getting all their labour done as cheaply as possible.
Eddie Baurer and United Airlines use prison labour instead of supplying thousands of people with jobs
Likewise, Nike "employs" 14 year old indonesians for pennies an hour.

Don't label all welfare recipients as lazy bastards. It is a stereotype which has plagued them for years and which is partly responsible for so many of them being without work.

Big corporations and the government are just as responsible for the whole mess cos they don't care about the average person who needs to feed their family.

and also you keep getting the quote messed up.
I believe its "Do unto others and you would have them do unto you"

no hard feelings though, seriously.
I just get severly irked whenever someone makes vast sweeping generalizations.
Its unfair and non-understanding.

The fact remains: RavenStar is right, and I agree with Raven wholeheartedly.

(I like the sound of that, my firend. "I agree with RavenStar." :D)

I quote: Work Harder! People on welfare are depending on you!

There's not a damn thing inaccurate about the statement. Even those who have no other option THAN welfare ARE dependent on those who generate revenue, who produce this nation's wealth.

I'll think of this thread the next time people receive federal disaster aid (which is welfare) or when another multinational corporation gets a federal grant to expand its operations into foreign territory (which is welfare).

All I see are flat out stereotypical depictions of those on welfare. It certainly might be true in many cases, but who do I find on welfare a lot working in a bank? The mentally ill, women whose husbands left them, the permanently disabled, etc. God help us all if some of you end up this way someday. I'll make sure to lead the drive to cut you off the system and let you rot in the gutter. Lest we forget that 13% of our budget is dedicated to our debt payments...but that's right. The 2001 tax cuts will ensure that it continues to pile up. But it's the people on welfare that are at fault, right?

As someone "nicely" completed my sentence, "Do unto others as they do unto you." Empathy is certainly dead.

Melon

What an odd situation. I agree with both melon AND bubba. I wonder if you both feel the same too as you both mentioned 2 different types of groups in your replies. (Im not trying to fuel a fight either, so please remain civil and not address each other if that's what it take.)
I hate welfare cheats. I think that is who we are referring to when we talk of the stereotypes? Those who refuse to do their bit. I do not like the idea of supporting bludgers and I do not like the compulsive unemployed. Stereotype it may very well be, but that sterotype exists for one reason. Because they do. I wont speak for America, but I know there are more than one family of 'Paxtons' here. A current affairs show a while back featured an entire family who are on the dole. They not only were without shame at their situation, they revelled in it. The son said he wold not ever look for work as he would not be able to surf as much. What the hell kind of excuse is that? One girl, who I cant recall if she was part of the family, I think she was, said the only work she could find was at McDonalds, but as she was a vegetarian she couldnt do it. That pissed me off for 2 reasons. Firstly because I think we all have to come to terms with our responsibilities some day and accept that we cannot always pick and choose our employment. Sometimes we just have to take what's on offer. And secondly, McDonalds are what 20% meat in the patties? Whatever, it is laziness and it is wrong. I dont like it. I detest having to support those types. I dont adore my job and I dont like paying tax, but I am happy knowing it does go to fixing roads, hospitals, education and those who truly need some help from the government.
On the other hand, aid, crisis welfare etc. I am more than happy that there is a system in place for the ill, the disabled, the mentally disadvantaged. If anything I wish it were more. I'm no economist, but I firmly believe it is better to cut off welfare to those with Paxton Syndrome and distribute it more wisely to those who have no choice. In another thread, a question was asked along the lines of how do you decide when someone has too much? And while I guess there still isnt really an answer to that, what we can do is ascertain what is the minimun requirement for living above the breadline. In Social Policy Writing a few years back, we looked at this issue of welfare and pensions in Australia and we did the western Sydney locality as obviously it varies. We worked out the average income per year requied to live was $30,000. I'm sure its a bit more now. As it stands, the aged pension pays approxiamtely $12,000. Our resources are drained in this department. The government is now forced to begin implementing a faze out plan for the aged pension. They simply cannot keep going with it. Their ultimate goal is to make Australia full of self funded retirees, which is fine. To help with this, they have introduced a 1st home owners grant where they pay up to $7,000 to those purchasing, in a bid to get us owning property. While all this is fine and good, I honestly think as much effort should be made to tighten up the welfare end so that bludgers and cheats dont have such an easy ride and we dont continue to skimp on those who truly need it. I'm not all for ridding it all together either. I dont have any problem with those who are temprarily out of work, who are skilled or trained in a certain field. But after a certain amount of time of not being able to find suitable work in your industry you have to kind of just accept that you have to flip burgers or clean toilets until you do find something better. Unemployment figures are a problem, I know but it doesnt have to be long term. Its quite possible to pick up work in another area, gain more skills, and then find what you really want. Attitudes to work have to change in some instances.

No one is sitting here saying 'Let's get rid of Welfare'.. 'Let's Stop This Madness'.. This is not a thread to discuss reform.. We're just treating this subject with a little irreverence.. Callous.. Maybe.. but regardless, there's no need to patronize our morality here...

Where's that Roach Z Edge was talking about... Hahaha..

ooh.. is that Nelly?.. Powdered Lampshades?..

L.Unplugged

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:

the only thing that's ignorant is you linking to an angelfire pic when you can't link to angelfire pics outside the server...unless it was intended and if that's the case then i think it's a hilarious form of irony ;)

**just trying to lighten the mood...i'm only joking.**

well um, glad to make someone happy.. although it wasn't my intention and I can't see what's so hilarious and ironic about it. But well.
I'm going to get rid of it soon, I haven't had the time to do so before. Does that make you feel better? :p

Lemonite said:
Ah Yes.. Ravenstar.. You have run into what I call 'The Plague of Ignorance'.. You make a true, and very accurate statement.. honestly.. Is this not a true statement?... Are you working folks not paying for welfare checks?...

I think you are just labeled 'ignorant' because you are bold, and you spit in the face of this disgusting attitude and caringness towards sensitivity and 'let's not step on anyone's feet' thought process that people like to have so they feel good about themselves at night.

Hell, I'm even being called ignorant a thread over.. Same reason.. different topic..

Call Raven Bold and Realistic.. not ignorant.

I think the ignorance is the poor diction chosen by the previous responder. 'Your Cut and Dry Attitude' maybe would be a good substitute.

SF.. we've got a new empty thread to hijack... the (..) one.. Hahha

L.Unplugged

Ok It's a true accurate statement. But why would anybody make a post just stating that welfare people are depending on you and leave it there? If it indeed was so objective and not putting any opnion to it why would anybody bother? It would'nt make a very good tthread since there'd be nothing to discuss. That is not the case here. As I said, it IS an accurate statement but in the circumstances, since this is a discussionforum, it's easy to see what RavenStar really ment by her post. (And correct me now RavenStar if I'm wrong but I hardly think I am...)
Maybe I overreacted just one bit, sorry for cursing, but it really bugs me when people look down on poor people or value money more than other human beings. I feel disgusted when people live a life in luxury (compared to the poor person) which they don't need to do when someone hardly can afford food. How can you feel comfortable sitting in your expensive sofa watching your big screen TV when you know that money could've fulfilled basic needs for a lot of poor people?

Let me tell you of an assignment we had in my school. I think some of you could have use for it and learn something.
Imagine this:

You are not yet born. You have no idea which country you will be born in, neither whether you'll be black or white, girl or boy, or class of society, or if you'll be disabled in some way .
*How would you model the state you'd be born into and its politics?

Last edited:
U2FReAk said:
Maybe I overreacted just one bit, sorry for cursing, but it really bugs me when people look down on poor people or value money more than other human beings.

i don't think anyone here looks down on poor people. they're just angry/annoyed at lazy people who could be working but instead take advantage of the welfare system.

Screaming Flower said:

i don't think anyone here looks down on poor people. they're just angry/annoyed at lazy people who could be working but instead take advantage of the welfare system.

that point of view most certanilny doesn't show in the first post, which was the one I reacted so strongly on.

but while we're at it, I might aswell clear some things out. About some people cheating the system: as others have mentioned, I don't approve of that at all either, and I agree that something should be done about that problem. It of course depends on which country you live in, but there are probably some in sweden as there is in the US, even though there are differences in numbers.
They do exist, but they are hardly the majority! To say all poor people like sitting on their asses watching tv all day or likes to fill their veins with heroin is like saying all swedes wear wooden shoes every day (sorry couldn't think of anything else :p ) Which is also a stereotype. You get the drift.

U2FrEak, you assume I live in luxury. Keep in mind I live in one of the best countries in the world (THE best according to the UN) so I find it hard for ppl not to be able to get a job. Someone living in a NIC might find it more difficult though.

Speaking of Welfare! I have a question that I would like to get peoples opinion on, okay!

My cousin who is a single mother w/ 2 kids w/ 2 different fathers is on welfare because she needs help. Now my aunt who is in no need of help is my cousin use her food stamps to back my aunt the money that my cousin owed her. My cousin has always suffered w/ eating disorders and now I see that my cousins kids are suffering to and they are only 4,2.

My question to u all is what do I do? I want to say something to my aunt but I know that it will fall upon deaf ears and I cant say anything to authorities because my family doesnt think it is ne of our business.

Angela Harlem said:
I hate welfare cheats. I think that is who we are referring to when we talk of the stereotypes? Those who refuse to do their bit. I know there are more than one family of 'Paxtons' here. They not only were without shame at their situation, they revelled in it. The son said he wold not ever look for work as he would not be able to surf as much. What the hell kind of excuse is that? One girl, who I cant recall if she was part of the family, I think she was, said the only work she could find was at McDonalds, but as she was a vegetarian she couldnt do it.

yes, those are the only kind of people that i don't like to see in this case and yes, i think they are the stereotype. i have no problem whatsoever with mentally and physically disabled people, etc. on welfare. those people deserve it, because either for the time being or even worse, for the rest of their lives, they pretty much have nothing but welfare to depend on. but the people who'd rather surf or can't work with meat since they're a vegetarian (or some other lame excuse), for them, there is no excuse. they're just ripping off the government and in my eyes, the people who really deserve it and can't get on welfare or maybe can't get enough money because of the deadbeats.

Back
Top Bottom