Words of a soldier found guilty of desertion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iacrobat

War Child
I don't believe this has been posted yet.

Words of a soldier found guilty of desertion

BOB HERBERT
NEW YORK TIMES

The hapless Spc. Jeremy Sivits got the headlines last week.

A mechanic whose job was to service gasoline-powered generators, Sivits was sentenced to a year in prison and thrown out of the army for accepting an invitation to take part in the sadistic treatment of Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison.

But there's another soldier, found guilty Friday, to whom we should be paying even closer attention.

His case doesn't just call into question the treatment of prisoners by U.S. forces. It calls into question this entire abominable war.

the rest

I know who you are talking about, this guy kills me. He's Costa Rican, I believe, serving with a reserve unit. He went AWOL while on 2 weeks leave, and he got caught. This idiot has changed his story so many times, it's pathetic. If he had simply stuck to his original story, I might have believed him. But he changed his reasons for desertion so many times, you have to wonder if he was trying to use headlines to win his case.

He's a Costa Rican, so he said it's not mandatory that he serve. I thought it was mandatory because he walked in, signed up, and took an oath, but maybe I'm mistaken on that part...

He's a conscientious objector - um duh, this isn't the 1960's buddy, you weren't drafted, you VOLUNTEERED to join the ARMED forces. Sorry, I have no patience for folks who sign that dotted line and say they don't want to be in the military now that we're in a war. What do you think the armed forces are for? Parades?

He was originally a conscientious objector because he "didn't want to fight an oil-driven war." Ooo, nice ploy kid, now you've got the left on your side, I'm sure you got a few headlines there. What kind of war would you prefer? One of conquest? Another US police action? War against terrorist states? The Iraq war has been called all of the above and more. Take your pick kid.

Oh yeah, NOW he's a conscientious objector because of the abuse of Iraqis he witnessed. Whether he saw acts of abuse or not, it just seemed really opportunistic of him to come out with these things after the prisoner abuse scandal broke.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the guy, only disgust. Like I said before, if he had stuck to his guns, I might have believed him.

There's a few 'conscientious objector' folks out there that I DO sympathize with that joined the armed forces in peacetime. It's not like the army advertised "join up and kill people" over the last ten years. Alot of folks were led to believe that they would never see combat, or be in a combat zone. "Join for college money, join to learn a skill, join because we have alot of cool toys. We're just a job corps with guns." Anyone who truly fell for that wholeheartedly and is now like "What? A war? Omigosh!" - well, you have my sympathy because you're probably not intelligent enough to pound dirt.

Sorry if I seem a little harsh, with our all-volunteer military, I don't believe that ANYONE has a right to claim conscientious objector. It just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

goat

}:)~

Would you go expose your life to a war? Would you go fight somebody else's war, risking your own flesh and blood? :eyebrow:

Walk in his shoes for a while, man. I understand why he did it.

Peace. Love. Empathy.

HE VOLUNTEERED!

He came to this country and joined up to get education benefits. The governement provided their end of the deal for this man during peace time. It is his obligation to hold up his end of the deal during wartime.

Every soldier is that, a soldier 1st, no matter what job they sign up to do in the service.

Walk in his shoes? I see someone who was more than happy to try and use America to further himself with our tax money.

If he did not have the intestinal fortitude to do his job he should not have joined!

Yes, I do. I served for eight years in the reserves. I served during desert storm. I have arrested soldiers who have gone awol during that time.

I think he deserves whatever the punishment handed down.

Sorry, he made a commitment.

Dreadsox said:
Yes, I do. I served for eight years in the reserves. I served during desert storm. I have arrested soldiers who have gone awol during that time.

I think he deserves whatever the punishment handed down.

Sorry, he made a commitment.
Maybe he did expected to defend his country. Now he will be a part of occupation army.
I think he is brave. To oppose all those brave heroes and patriotic blind people.

Rono said:
Maybe he did expected to defend his country. Now he will be a part of occupation army.
I think he is brave. To oppose all those brave heroes and patriotic blind people.

A) He had no interest in defending HIS country from the start he is from another country.

B) He came here to get an education.

C) He joined the guard/reserves to get the $$$$ and free tuition for said education.

D) Conclusion....He is another person who tried to take advantage of the system.

Dreadsox said:

A) He had no interest in defending HIS country from the start he is from another country.

B) He came here to get an education.

C) He joined the guard/reserves to get the $$$$ and free tuition for said education.

D) Conclusion....He is another person who tried to take advantage of the system.

Still he can quite when he not want to be in a war in a occupied country. You can chance your opinion about your job also. Or has this man sold his soul to the US army and should serve like a slave ?

And that $$$$$$$ thing ?
1200 dollars for that kind of danger is stupid anyway.

Interesting that his opinion changed when he was called upon to do his JOB.

The $$$for a college education is a lot more $$$ than you are talking about.

And no, he is not allowed to change his opinion. The time for that was in boot camp where it was made very clear what your job was.

Dreadsox said:
Interesting that his opinion changed when he was called upon to do his JOB.

The $$$for a college education is a lot more $$$ than you are talking about.

And no, he is not allowed to change his opinion. The time for that was in boot camp where it was made very clear what your job was.

I think he is allowed not to be a killer. He will have no use in Iraq anyway. Would you feel save when he is on patrol with you ?

Rono said:

I think he is allowed not to be a killer. He will have no use in Iraq anyway. Would you feel save when he is on patrol with you ?

1st of all your characterization of the US and other soldiers from other nations is offensive.

2nd of all he will not be on patrol he went AWOL and is most likely serving time in jail where he belongs for what is in my mind stealing money from the US governement by not fulfilling his part of the contract.

Angela Harlem said:
There is only one way to understand war, and that is to experience it for yourself.

That is why I respect Kerry's and Powell's opinions

more than chinkenhawks like G. W. Bush, Cheney, Wolverwits, and Perle.

I think that career diplomats and buerocrats can be equally as important to national security as those who have served in the millitary.

Very true. The flip side of serving in any military and even in a combat role, is the possibility of lost clarity. Doesn't always happen, like the flip side of being a leading diplomat or beaurocrat can mean you still have little idea.

I think where im getting is that it is important to have a lot of experience within any organisation and experience on all fronts. Its much better to have a leader who will listen to advice and make up his own mind than someone who will make up his mind and ignore the advice.

deep said:

That is why I respect Kerry's and Powell's opinions

more than chinkenhawks like G. W. Bush, Cheney, Wolverwits, and Perle.

Based on your formula I presume you voted for Bush Sr. over Clinton in 1992 and Bob Dole over Clinton in 1996?

Back
Top Bottom