Woodward predicts: Clinton vs. Cheney in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
excerpted from a larger article ...

"Woodward's half-hour talk, punctuated several times by well-received jokes, was followed by 11 questions from the audience. He theorized that Hillary Clinton would earn the Democratic nomination in 2008 and would run against Dick Cheney, and he rejected the likelihood of a third party being a threat to Democrats and Republicans. He discounted the fear that Supreme Court nominee John Roberts would help overturn abortion rights if elected to the bench."

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20050810/NEWS/108100041

so .... who would you vote for? who would win?

No way. Cheney has said repeatedly that he will not run in '08. I doubt his health will hold up for it.

And Hillary is most likely unelectable. Despite the fact that her actual votes and positions since joining the Senate have only become more centrist, she's still perceived (wrongly, for the most part) as a hysterical ball-busting left-wing feminist by the majority of the voting public. The Democrats know that if they ever want to run Hillary, they need more time to soften her public image.

I think Woodward is dead-wrong here. McCain will get the nod from the GOP for being a good puppy during the '04 campaign (I'm torn because I like him personally but am disappointed by how easily he rolled over after the terrible way he was smeared in '00), and the Democrats need a likeable, plain-spoken centrist for '08--Biden or Edwards would do nicely, or possibly Mark Warner.

Confidential to U2Democrat: Didja see that I mentioned Joe Biden, John Edwards, AND Mark Warner all in the same sentence? Are you :combust:ing right now?

pax said:
the Democrats need a likeable, plain-spoken centrist for '08--Biden or Edwards would do nicely, or possibly Mark Warner.

Confidential to U2Democrat: Didja see that I mentioned Joe Biden, John Edwards, AND Mark Warner all in the same sentence? Are you :combust:ing right now?

Oh good heavens.......:combust::drool::faint:

I also think it's a load of crap that Rice will run in 2008. She's probably unbeatable on foreign policy, but I suspect that even she herself knows she'd be without a leg to stand on domestically. I see her going back to academia after '08. Keep in mind that she has NO background in electoral politics; the woman has never run for office (much as I do admire her even though I disagree with her).

The only way I see her back in the White House is as a running-mate to shore up a GOP candidate who's weak on foreign policy.

pax said:
I also think it's a load of crap that Rice will run in 2008. She's probably unbeatable on foreign policy, but I suspect that even she herself knows she'd be without a leg to stand on domestically. I see her going back to academia after '08. Keep in mind that she has NO background in electoral politics; the woman has never run for office (much as I do admire her even though I disagree with her).

The only way I see her back in the White House is as a running-mate to shore up a GOP candidate who's weak on foreign policy.

Jeb Bush / Rice v. Clinton / Warner

I don't see it happening, mainly for the reasons that it would divide their respected parties. The Republican much more than the Democratic party...

But I think it would be good for the country as a whole.

I don't agree with Woodward either. Not only has Cheney said he wouldn't run, but even if he reversed course and did so, I think the Republican leadership is smart enough to know he wouldn't win.

And I'm not convinced that Clinton will run, either.

Back
Top Bottom