Women's rights- "NOT human rights?" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2003, 11:19 PM   #16
Refugee

Location: Belmont Shore, CA (I prefer flying a kite at the beach, really.)
Local Time: 02:26 PM
Re: Re: Re: Women's rights- "NOT human rights?"

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
These conservative men and women are so frightened of women finally having any kind of control over their own bodies, they will ally themselves with those who would sexually disfigure us just to get their own point across. This is what the so-called "pro-life" people don't ever understand; it's about control. If they can control the decisions I make about my sexuality and body, they can control me. I won't be surprised to find some kind of statement in this thread about how "sacred" the life of a fetus is. Fine, go ahead, put a fetus before me, but now you can see where that kind of thinking leads.
I agree, Martha. I was sitting behind an old, beat-up truck today in traffic, and it had over ten pro-life bumper stickers all over the back tail-gate. People don't realize (those who are pro-lifers) that when a woman is severely beaten and raped and she survives it only to find out she's pregnant, she has a very private hell to contend with. It should be up to the woman to decide to keep a fetus that was not made out of love but out of hate and fear and panic and terror. I wouldn't keep it. Because every time I would look at that child, I would be reminded of exactly what had happened to me and I would find it extremely difficult to love that child. I wouldn't want to put the baby up for adoption only for the child to come back, 18 years later, wondering why the flying feck I gave him up in the first place and for him to find out exactly why. That's too much to ask for a woman. When a woman is denied this right to choose, she is doomed. I sincerely hope that we never, ever as a nation decide this fate for women.

Moonie

Old 05-03-2003, 04:00 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Re: Women's rights- "NOT human rights?"

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
The term "forced pregnancy" is seen by some anti-abortion groups as a pretext for promoting abortion.

Exactly how does the term "forced pregnancy" (ie pregnancy as a result of rape) promote abortion? That simply doesn't make sense.

Quote:
"For too long, the feminists have been pushing a radical, special-interest agenda under the erroneous mantra made rhetorical cliche by Hillary Clinton: 'Women's rights are human rights,'" writes Janice Crouse, an official of the conservative group Concerned Women for America and a member of the U.S. delegation.
I love how they turn "feminist" into an insult. BTW, people object to the idea that women's rights are human rights - does that mean that they don't believe women have any rights? That women's rights are somehow not as important as human rights? That women are inferior human beings?

Old 05-03-2003, 08:08 PM   #18
She's the One

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Re: Re: Women's rights- "NOT human rights?"

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

Exactly how does the term "forced pregnancy" (ie pregnancy as a result of rape) promote abortion? That simply doesn't make sense.

The term "forced pregnancy" is calling it as it is when you have no alternatives and choices about what happens to your own body, whether by rape or consensual activity. That's what they don't like, I reckon; people might start objecting to forcing women to be pregnant.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:37 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Martha,
I may be really stupid here, but I don't understand how it would be appropriate to use the term "forced pregnancy" to refer to pregnancy resulting from consensual sex. If a woman has sex she knows that pregnancy is a possible consequence if she doesn't use contraception, so how is a pregnancy resulting from consensual sex a "forced pregnancy"?
Old 05-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #20
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Martha,
I may be really stupid here, but I don't understand how it would be appropriate to use the term "forced pregnancy" to refer to pregnancy resulting from consensual sex. If a woman has sex she knows that pregnancy is a possible consequence if she doesn't use contraception, so how is a pregnancy resulting from consensual sex a "forced pregnancy"?
You are NOT stupid.

You could say that if a woman becomes pregnant, and doesn't want to be, yet is forced to remain so due to others having a say in her health care, she has a "forced pregnancy." (Please remember that contraception fails at times!) Some of the people in our government, and the governments of other countries, want to have a say in the choices you and I make about our reproductive lives.

Choucescu (and I know I'm spelling that incorrectly), a dictator of Romania, who was executed by his citizens many years ago, would require women to undergo pregnancy tests every month. He wanted to increase the population of his country, and thought that requiring women to have children was a good idea. There are those in our country who are just inches away from this kind of thinking. And there are those in our own gender who support the idea that others should have a say in what happens to our own bodies.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:54 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks for explaining that, martha.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:54 PM   #22
She's the One

We didn't get any conservative defense of this alliance here. It would have been interesting to hear the other side.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:39 PM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 PM
DON'T provoke them.

It's Ceaucescu, by the way.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:07 PM   #24
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

It's Ceaucescu, by the way.
Thanks. Romanian spelling.

Me? Provoke?
Old 05-06-2003, 07:23 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
We didn't get any conservative defense of this alliance here. It would have been interesting to hear the other side.
Maybe because there is no defense for this!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:00 PM   #26
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

Maybe because there is no defense for this!
That's for sure! This is totally depressing.