Women's Equality Amendment - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #106
War Child

Local Time: 01:38 AM
I don't support it for some of the same reasons the ERA failed before. In giving equality in good ways, such as equal pay, it would also mean, (from what I've heard) things like bathrooms and gym classes being joined, there could be no more sex separated privacy. There could also be no exceptions for things like women not being able to physically do some jobs, they'd be expected to be the same as a man, which of course they aren't. So I'll take the good things about it, but I fear the little hidden bad things no one may be considering. You can't have it both ways.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #107
She's the One

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA
I don't support it for some of the same reasons the ERA failed before. In giving equality in good ways, such as equal pay, it would also mean, (from what I've heard) things like bathrooms and gym classes being joined, there could be no more sex separated privacy. There could also be no exceptions for things like women not being able to physically do some jobs, they'd be expected to be the same as a man, which of course they aren't. So I'll take the good things about it, but I fear the little hidden bad things no one may be considering. You can't have it both ways.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

You just can't make this shit up
Old 03-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think it willy also ban the Y-chromosom.
So I'm against it.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
I think it willy
Freudian slip?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA
things like bathrooms and gym classes being joined
We are coming for your urinals!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

Freudian slip?
Ups
Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #113
The Fly

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Wow, this all seems so bizarre to me. I live in Canada, and I know equality under the Constitution is pretty recent, but I had no idea that it wasn't the same way in the States. I guess I'm just rather young and naive. I mean, I was so surprised when I read this thread. I've never heard of the Women's Equality Amendment and I'm surprised it's still an issue.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

This is only the second or third time you've called me a name in response to something I've said, but "slut" is pretty desperate. Wait, lemme guess: You love gals; it's the only the uppity ones that piss you off, right?
Didn't realize that you also go by the name Jane.

What better way to answer the antiquated 70's feminist theories expressed here (apparently with a straight face), than with Dan Aykroyd's over-the-top 70's parody of the "male chauvinist pig." The role I'm apparently playing in this thread.
Nothing personal. Just that some of us remember the humorous aspects of the "battle of the sexes" that helped define the 70's.

Which makes it love-15 and your serve Billy Jean.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

i this thread.

in many ways, it's FYM at it's best -- smart, snappy, bitchy, funny, informative, and a wide variety of viewpoints in constant engaging engagement wtih one another. from highbrow to lowbrow with nary a moment to catch one's breath.

i wish i had jumped in sooner to participate, but i haven't a clue as to what to add.

and Martha's "beter than the poor little girls in Afghanistan" comment nearly made me spit up my tea.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AttnKleinkind
Wow, this all seems so bizarre to me. I live in Canada, and I know equality under the Constitution is pretty recent, but I had no idea that it wasn't the same way in the States. I guess I'm just rather young and naive. I mean, I was so surprised when I read this thread. I've never heard of the Women's Equality Amendment and I'm surprised it's still an issue.
I am 100% in favor of the ideas and the intent of the ERA, but I always get uncomfortable when people start talking about amending the Constitution. The Constitution is designed to be an organic, living, breathing document that is open to judicial interpretation, and that can evolve over time, without editing it. It's supposed to be amended only in extreme cases.

There are lots of important issues that are regulated, but are not explicitly mentioned in the constitution. Take another topic that every sane person is in agreement on: child abuse is bad. But there's nothing in the constitution that explicitly bans child abuse. But if one politician starts clamoring, 'Amend the Constitution to ban child abuse!', all of a sudden, if you're against such an amendment, you can be cartooned into being pro-child abuse.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #117
Forum Moderator

Well it's not like it has a chance of passing, so I don't think you need to get too uncomfortable about it. I don't see child abuse being analogous to "equality of rights being abridged or denied before the law on account of sex", either in terms of scope or vulnerability to politicization. So far as I know there isn't anyone out there arguing that where kids really belong is at home being beaten, or that most kids given the choice would rather be beaten than loved unconditionally because that's just too hard on their authority-craving nature, or that an amendment against child abuse would lead to parent internment camps or legalization of children beating adults or forced communal childrearing, or that Studies Show most kids reckon they're better off than Oliver Twist so what's the big deal if a few hundred thousand are abused every year, that's just the result of their myriad of personal decisions and considerations which ultimately determined their role in their families.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #118
Refugee

Quote:

canadian law:

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.
Hmmm.... sounds a lot like US law.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #119
Forum Moderator

That's part of their Constitution (section Fifteen of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms).

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Feminism is essentially built on a tissue of lies.

In Western societies, from health care to jobs to education to paternal rights , it is men that are discriminated against, not women.

However, I wouldn't expect the self-regarding navel-gazing 'liberal' coterie on here to realise that.