Women's Equality Amendment - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Yes, I am. Ask any black American who can now live, shop, worship, and work anywhere she wants to.

Babble on all you want about how "the government" shouldn't control these things, but "the government" is ultimately us, acting to step in when the individual has allowed his hatred for those different from him to interfere with those different ones' ability to live their lives.
Good open ended justification; the ability to live their lives; now in the case of segregation this is a persuasive argument that deserves consideration but at the stage of employment opportunity and club membership it should be questioned; not being able to get a specific job from a specific employer or being overlooked for promotion may not hold the same weight to justify action.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #77
She's the One

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
not being able to get a specific job from a specific employer or being overlooked for promotion may not hold the same weight to justify action.
Oh man. You are priceless sometimes.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Were not talking about broad and institutionalised discrimination crippling any chance at living a life; women in the USA in 2008 are not living in the same condition as negroes in the 1950's and that means that such action to ameliorate it may be unjustified.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #79
She's the One

Dude, you gotta start using punctuation correctly. It takes me a minute to figure out what you're saying.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #80
She's the One

Quote:
Were not talking about broad and institutionalised discrimination crippling any chance at living a life; women in the USA in 2008 are not living in the same condition as negroes in the 1950's and that means that such action to ameliorate it may be unjustified.
I didn't take that "you don't have it as bad as other people" shit from Indy, and I won't take it from you either.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
not being able to get a specific job from a specific employer or being overlooked for promotion may not hold the same weight to justify action.
Thankfully the courts interpret liberty far more broadly than you do.

All of your arguments have the same underlying theme as INDY's, that is, "come on now, you don't have it THAT bad, it could be much worse, so let's maintain the status quo."

No can do.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

It isn't a formal essay: the situation for women in the USA today does not justify across the board government intervention as much as it did for African Americans in the 20th Century so it is not supportive of discrimination to question or oppose it.

That opposition is not by defintion grounded in any deeper misogyny or support for discriminatory practices and in every one of these sort of topics you run with dichotomies that are as nuanced as GWB; if your not with us your against us.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Thankfully the courts interpret liberty far more broadly than you do.

All of your arguments have the same underlying theme as INDY's, that is, "come on now, you don't have it THAT bad, it could be much worse, so let's maintain the status quo."

No can do.
No, my argument is not that you have it better than X therefore we should do nothing. It is that in the case of X it was decided that action had to be taken but because the situation for this isn't as severe then that course of action may not be justified. Not to say that I wouldn't support

I don't think is supporting the status quo if the situation of equal representation at all levels is held as the ideal; or if the major changes in society that are continuing to bring that closer are considered to be good.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #84
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
No, my argument is not that you have it better than X therefore we should do nothing. It is that in the case of X it was decided that action had to be taken but because the situation for this isn't as severe then that course of action may not be justified.
Which essentially boils down to "you guys don't have it as bad as they did," does it not?
Old 03-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Which is because it was explicitely stated that that intervention was made because people couldn't live their lives

So shouldn't it follow that since women can live their lives then intervention is unjustified.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:33 AM
So for you as a radical libertarian life has to be at stakes to justify some government intervention?

I don't think a law making equal pay and equal chances for promotion mandatory causes that much trouble.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

No they don't, they should be required for all government agencies and anything that gets money from the government but using legal action against individuals prejudice in the hiring and firing within their business does strike me as excessive.

You can all keep your civil society, I would much prefer some sort of dystopian anarcho-capitalism.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
You can all keep your civil society, I would much prefer some sort of dystopian anarcho-capitalism.
That's because you've never lived in one. It's nothing but an academic argument for you. And academic arguments mean squat to living, breathing people.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

That's because you've never lived in one. It's nothing but an academic argument for you. And academic arguments mean squat to living, breathing people.
a good reply

to quite a few of the replies that get offered up in here
Old 03-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

And cold calculated political machinations that ressurect proposals after the 30 years in which most of their goals have been won through other means do?