Women just can't keep it brief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Women just can't keep it brief

As any long-suffering boyfriend or husband knows, some women just love to talk. Now research shows that females talk more than men even when communicating by text message. The study by Sheffield Hallam University found women write longer messages than men.

Women key in detailed messages, brimming with personality and affection, while men stick to brief, nononsense texts. Women also use abbreviations and icons such as "smiley" faces made out of full stops and commas more.

Dr Simeon Yates observed the mobile phone habits of hundreds of people. He found that female text messages typically go on for 82 characters, while men get their point across with just 68. Women offer their friends love and support, while men often resort to sarcasm, sexual humour and swearing.

Yates, who lectures in communication studies, said: "Women always start off by saying something like 'How are you?' and will finish with 'love' or 'take care' or 'with lots of kisses'. In between those, there are very often one or two sentences the equivalent of a large chunk of a conversation packed into one message. In contrast, when a man texts a mate, he doesn't even send a sentence—the message is information-based."

Text message diaries kept by the 18 to 30-yearolds taking part in the study also revealed that men alter their strategy when sending texts to women. When trying to stoke a romance, men send longer, more expressive messages.
articleshow/1293602.cms

It's not surprising that men and women would tend to follow different conventions of self-expression in text messaging, since they do in verbal conversation as well.

Conventions are just that, though--conventions--and not reliable indicators one way or another of the actual emotions underlying the words. There is no reason why a message full of "sarcasm, sexual humor and swearing" cannot convey warmth and affection, and one need not be verbose to express love and support. Likewise, just because a message dutifully throws in a perfunctory "How are you?" and "Take care?" does not prove that the concern implied is genuine.

Funny, the men around here don't seem to have any problem expressing themselves in numerous words..:wink:

Then again that's almost always about things other than the personal..I'm not into texting but for the most part it's true that the men I e-mail don't seem to have much to say.

I believe the part about the romance, I also find it sort of sad that some men can't put forth an effort unless they're interested in you in that way.

I once got a four letter -- not word -- email from a guy.

It consisted entirely of "ok" and his initials.

Made me laugh. :)

It's all to do with the interconnections within the brain. The cerebral hemispheres of the brain in a female are more interconnected therefore they are more likely to convey feelings and emotions, whereas males are more likey to convey information. That's just how we evolved.

It makes sense that this communtication applies to texting as well

MrsSpringsteen said:
Funny, the men around here don't seem to have any problem expressing themselves in numerous words..:wink:

true true

(insert sarcasm & sexual humor here).

Damn.

great, another useless study about nothing. who the fuck funds these things?

in this case, probably a telephone company.

here's a test, can you tell from a poster's posts if they are a man or a woman? I guarantee you, you cannot. Put a lady in your avatar, and everyone will assume you're a lady. try it sometime.

^ now if that wasn't a 'useful study', I don't know what is :hmm:

=========

Women offer their friends love and support, while men often resort to sarcasm, sexual humour and swearing.

:laugh: That makes me laugh. ANother reason I like women, I guess. I agree with yolland, though. Still...... women seem to be more responsive when do write in detail, so it's nice.

From my small experience with guys around me, their methods of communicating and messaging, instant messaging, even..... sometimes it's remarkably bad :shrug:

I mean, it's okay to go into "guy mode" and just fool around with your friends. Some guys, though, don't really seem to be able to differentiate between fooling around and actualy conversing.

"women just can't keep it breif"

Yeah, they have a "sacred relationship with time", heh heh h eh...
Doesn't really bother me, though

Last edited:
Damn, I wish I would have read this a long time ago. I wouldn't be going thru this shit right now. I fucked up and now I'm paying for it... God it hurts... :sad:

Well, that's generalisation... But I agree on the fact that women might talk a bit more "in general" than man. I disagree on the fact that most men only use sarcasm and do bad jokes about sex though.

Back
Top Bottom