"Women Don't Belong In The Dugout"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Why are there athletes and men in general who still feel this way? Get over it :yawn: but he loves us gals, always has. Bravo to the Padres manager for speaking out.

http://www.wnbc.com/sports/8953324/detail.html

SAN DIEGO -- New York Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez's comment that women "don't belong in the dugout" drew criticism Sunday from San Diego Padres manager Bruce Bochy, who supported the female member of his training staff and said he was surprised her gender even came up.

Hernandez made the remark during the second inning of New York's 8-1 victory in San Diego on Saturday night. Mike Piazza homered for the Padres and exchanged a high-five in the dugout with 33-year-old Kelly Calabrese, the Padres' massage therapist.

"Who is the girl in the dugout, with the long hair?" Hernandez said. "What's going on here? You have got to be kidding me. Only player personnel in the dugout."

Hernandez found out later in the broadcast that Calabrese was with the Padres training staff.

"I won't say that women belong in the kitchen, but they don't belong in the dugout," Hernandez said.

Hernandez, a former Mets first baseman and "Seinfeld" guest star, then laughed and said: "You know I am only teasing. I love you gals out there -- always have." :rolleyes:

"Calabrese said she was flabbergasted by Hernandez's comments.

"It amazes me that somebody of that caliber that has obviously played the game before and is in front of an audience of millions of people would say something like that," she said of Hernandez. "It's a little shocking. But you know what -- it happens. He not only discredited me as a person, but he discredited women."

He should not be allowed in the dugout. He should also have to watch "A leauge of thier Own."

Well, his opinion certainly hasn't changed since his playing days.

I saw a news clip of it, he really sounded upset. I bet Keith doesn't mind the cute ballgirls or Hooters ballgirls-just stay the heck out of the dugout! Sexism is so attractive in a man:drool:

You should have heard his reaction when women reporters started coming into the lockerroom.

Justin24 said:
He should not be allowed in the dugout. He should also have to watch "A leauge of thier Own."

"You're CRYING??? There's no crying in baseball!" ~Tom Hanks :wink:

Seriously, loser attitude. Thanks for the article Mrs. S.

I don't think it's THAT big of a deal.....He didn't realize that she worked for the team.....and he apologized.

As a woman I think it's a big deal if someone displays a sexist attitude like that-the way he said it in the video I saw, you'd think he was outraged over it. The other announcer even said something like "I don't think you should be saying that". If he had some issues with female reporters too, well that indicates a pattern of sorts to me. I Googled it but couldn't find anything.

Sure it's one instance but there is still a boys club mentality amongst some athletes and other people in sports. The woman said she felt discredited and I agree that comments like that (which most guys then tend to apologize for and/or say they were joking) discredit women too. Think before you speak, or before you display your sexist leanings over the airwaves.

After all, how many years did it take for baseball to allow an African American in the dugout?

I definitely see your point. But Keith didn't think she was part of the team.....she could have been a wife of a player or a security guard, or a groundskeeper for all he knew.

Numb1075 said:
.she could have been a wife of a player or a security guard, or a groundskeeper for all he knew.

In an official Padres uniform? The only females who wear the team uniform where I go see games are the ballgirls, and they don't sit in the dugout during games. The groundskeepers and security guards wear different outfits that look nothing like uniforms and I don't think wives are allowed to sit there during games or to wear an official uniform in a dugout at a game. I would think the uniform (which was clearly visible in the footage that I saw) would tell him she was an official team employee who was entitled to sit there. But perhaps he would never think a woman could be an official team employee in that capacity.

I don't think this guy is an offical team employee, yet he is wearing a uniform and sitting in the dugout.

a_darren_i.jpg

not saying what he said was right at all, but i dont think that an ex jock could be sexist is really all that newsworthy. you dont think any red sox players have said anything derogatory about women while in the clubhouse? that kinda junk goes on in all club houses in all sports. keith just made the mistake of saying it on television.

I was talking about women in uniform in the dugout, there aren't any female batboys as far as I know. Yep I'm well aware that some athletes are sexist and make derogatory comments about women. Yes including the Red Sox, but this isn't the sports forum so there's really no need to take that dig there.

I think public display of sexism is "newsworthy" and I don't think there's any arbiter here for what is, if you don't well that's the way it goes. I don't think much of what is discussed in Int is all that "newsworthy" but I don't feel the need to say so directly to people :shrug:

Just posting it as one example of the fact that sexism exists, I think it's an issue worth discussing.

Last edited:
To me it doesn't matter which team or what announcer says it still find it incredibly sexist. Seems he should have kept his mouth shut until he knew exactly why this woman was in the dugout.

Btw I was also 1 of 2 females on my little league team. Ironically my coach used to favor using the boy's a lot more than us girls.

I'm loving all these guys in here going "So what? Athletes are like that. :shrug: " The more we allow them to continue the old ways, the less change we'll see.

Call 'em on it every time so they can see how sexist it is.

Change only comes when the people excluded speak up again and again.

martha said:
I'm loving all these guys in here going "So what? Athletes are like that. :shrug: " The more we allow them to continue the old ways, the less change we'll see.

What a concept :applaud: But I think we should just laugh it off and shrug, right? I have dealt w/ men like Keith Herdandez pretty much my whole life (luckily the good ones counterbalance)-as I got older I learned to call them out on it. It doesn't make me very "popular" but that's the way it goes. Or I just ignore them and let them hoist themselves on their own patards.

It's 2006- we're here, we're in the dugout, get used to it.

espn.com

NEW YORK -- Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez was reprimanded by the team's television network for "inappropriate" remarks during a broadcast about a female member of San Diego's training staff.

The former MVP first baseman said women "don't belong in the dugout" when he spotted 33-year-old Kelly Calabrese, the Padres' full-time massage therapist, high-fiving Mike Piazza in the dugout after he hit a home run during New York's 8-1 victory Saturday in San Diego.

After Hernandez found out later in the broadcast that Calabrese was with the Padres' training staff, he repeated that she shouldn't have been there.

"I won't say that women belong in the kitchen, but they don't belong in the dugout," he said.

Hernandez, a former Mets star, then laughed and said: "You know I am only teasing. I love you gals out there -- always have."

"Keith Hernandez made inappropriate comments regarding the presence of a female massage therapist of the San Diego Padres who was in the dugout," SportsNet New York said in a statement Monday. "We immediately addressed the issue with Keith and reprimanded him, and he publicly apologized during Sunday's game."

Hernandez said Sunday that he was sorry if he offended anyone. He also said that baseball's rulebook allowed only the head trainer and assistant trainer in the dugout.

But a Major League Baseball memo previously sent to all clubs said that in addition to the two trainers, one member of the conditioning staff was permitted in the dugout during games. After Hernandez's remarks, MLB called the Padres and verified that, indeed, Calabrese was allowed.

Calabrese said Sunday that she was flabbergasted by Hernandez's comments.

"It's a little shocking but you know what -- it happens," she said. "He not only discredited me as a person, but he discredited women."

Padres chief executive officer Sandy Alderson also criticized Hernandez.

"Her competence and professionalism, not gender, are the important factors in her role with the club," he said Monday in a statement.

"Our society has made great strides in gender equity in recent years and that progress should be reflected as well in professional baseball," he said. "Keith's remarks were uninformed and were a disservice to Kelly and those women like her who have performed admirably in positions previously reserved for men."

martha said:

:up:

this entire thing has been blown out of proportion from all sides... starting with keith hernandez himself.

i'm a mets fan, i was watching the game when he said what he said, and when he said it, i said to myself "ooo... that's not gonna go over well."

keith made a mistake by not realizing she was a member of the training staff. if he would have left it at "what's a girl doing in the dugout" and didn't keep harping on it, we wouldn't even be discussing it right now. but the foot kept going further and further into his mouth, and now is apparently an outrage.

there are a few seperate issues here... women staff in the locker room/dugout, women reporters in the locker room/dugout, and just plain women period in the locker room.

every single trainer i ever had in my 4 years of participating in college athletics was female. never had a problem whatsoever, and became good friends with a few of them. i didn't see them as a female, i saw them as someone doing their job. and as long as they did the job well, i could care less if it was a guy, a girl or a space alien.

as for female reporters in the locker room... i don't agree with it, not because they're female, but because i think the locker room is a private sanctuary that should be off limits to everyone... male or female... except for the team, coaches and medical staff. but if they're going to let reporters in, who gives a shit what gender they are.

as for part three, i pretty much answered it right there... wife's, girlfriends, children, friends, etc. have no business in the locker room, just like boyfriends, husbands, etc. have no business being in the locker room for a woman's sports team.

back to hernandez... if he would have just left it at "what's that girl doing in the dugout?" and waited for an answer, and then when he got an answer simply responded "oh ok then, that makes sense." we wouldn't be having this discussion. but he kept harping on it and harping on it and just kept digging the hole deeper and deeper. and then when he made a lame attempt at humor with the "i'm not saying they belong in the kitchen but they don't belong in the dugout" comment, ya knew that the media would be talking about this.

he deserves to get repremanded, and he should be forced to make a real appology... even put on probation so that if he says one more stupid thing he can then be fired... but he does not deserve to lose his job over this.

is he a sexist? i have no idea. i don't know him. he very well could be... or he could just be a guy who made a stupid remark and is now paying for it.

Oh I think the boys can handle the "distraction". Her looks are irrelevant, she's there to do her job. Sure I appreciate the looks of some of the players but I am there to enjoy the game and the sport, and I wouldn't subject them to sexist comments while I am watching them do their jobs. Ms Calabrese said she felt discredited and that is unfair to her and sad. At least she works for an organization like the Padres who will publicly defend her rather than minimize her concerns and just say "boys will be boys" or something to that effect.

Back
Top Bottom