Woman takes dog from Katrina evacuee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sue DeNym

Refugee
http://kctv5.com/Global/category.asp?C=70755

Don't forget to turn your volume down at first; they show a very loud 15-second commercial before the normally-volumed news tape.

Hundreds of people have come to Kansas City after fleeing Hurricane Katrina and most have been welcomed with open arms. But one man who lost his home and belongings to the storm came here and lost something that can't be replaced and he blames an Independence woman.

The man, handicapped, under duress, homeless and desperate, could only find one place for his family to stay, and that place didn't allow dogs. He had to give up his dog to someone else. Now he's in a home that allows dogs, and the woman who took in the dog will not give it back to him.

Perhaps this publicity will shame the bitch into giving the dog back. I certainly hope so.

I can't take any more of these elderly and animal stories. I don't know why they pain me more than anything else.:(

I would have to agree that this story is totally sad and very unfair to that elderly gentleman.

Hopefully he will be willing to accept another animal's love and friendship in his life. I hope he'll be willing to try that.

But I have to share another side of all these hurricnan stories that the rest of the USA and the world are not hearing because it doesn't show all these evacuees with halos over their heads.

(although the elderly gentleman here is a different situation.)

I live in Austin and thousands of evacuees from Houston came this way looking for shelter from Rita.

All the available hotels and shelters are full of people so our city offered to put up as many evacuees in empty apartments around our town as possible to help out.

I came home from a very long day of job-hunting in 102 degree weather (after riding city buses all day), to find my apartment building had a whole bunch of evacuees.

That wouldn't have been a problem, but these people have been rude and disruptive to the point that I had to call the police out on them twice since last night!

Now, I'm in a bit of hot water with my landlord for trying to get some sleep last night.

So, please don't put halos over everyone's heads - some of these folks are not very reputable.:eyebrow:

But when it comes to the elderly or animals, then my empathy with them is 100%.

Just thought y'all might want to hear from the warfront down here in my part of Texas. :wink:

joyfulgirl said:
I can't take any more of these elderly and animal stories. I don't know why they pain me more than anything else.:(

This woman, who had so much, took what little this man had for her own selfish desires. She could've gotten her family a homeless dog from the local shelter; instead, she took an aid dog from a handicapped, displaced Katrina evacuee. I'm sorry, she can justify it all she wants, that's just plain heartless and wicked. :mad:

Jamila said:
I came home from a very long day of job-hunting in 102 degree weather (after riding city buses all day), to find my apartment building had a whole bunch of evacuees.

That wouldn't have been a problem, but these people have been rude and disruptive to the point that I had to call the police out on them twice since last night!

Now, I'm in a bit of hot water with my landlord for trying to get some sleep last night.

So, please don't put halos over everyone's heads - some of these folks are not very reputable.:eyebrow:

Oh, I'm sure there are more than a few ingrates, entitlement-minded jerks and just plain rude gits amongst the evacuees; that'll happen in any disaster situation. It's one of the uglier parts of human nature. :sigh: Some people define grace under pressure, and others give free reign to their worst impulses.

But the guy in the original post was desperate and under duress, and that woman took advantage of him. There are nasty people on the "have" side of the fence as well.

There will come a day......call it justification....call it judgement day...or whatever.....and it may be sooner than later.

I have noticed with these two hurricanes a tremendous bondage between mankind and their pets (dogs, cats, etc.)....a bondage of friendship.....and there is a reason why and there is a purpose behind why it is being made evident.

I personally have two dogs.....I would never leave behind......one of my dogs has a special sensitivity and communication with me which my vet even recognized. I am sure many people have that same kind of communication.

I feel so sad this lady would not return the dog to it's true owner. There are so many out there trying to re-unite and there she is breaking-down mankind.

:|

Re: reply

wizard2c said:
I personally have two dogs.....I would never leave behind

I sadly do not own any pets at this time. But if I did, I'd ditto this sentiment totally. All the pets I've had in the past I've loved, thought of as part of my family...to have to give them up or leave them behind or whatever would break my heart :sad:.

Angela

I could never have left any of my animals--not even my hermit crabs.

This story is disgusting. The woman saw a way to take advantage of a situation and did so. Why didn't she, a volunteer of the shelter, take the dog into the shelter? Why did she ask him to sign over the registration and take the dog home? I would think there's something legally fishy about that.

"Why can't he get another dog?" Why can't you, lady??

joyfulgirl said:

Yeah, these stories hit me the hardest also. Sometimes I just can't face reading/watching them anymore.

Are there any updates on this story? I'm still hoping that the #$*&%#!!! (because many of you are right, bitch is too nice of a word for her, but I can't really type out what I really think of her) will get enough pressure to give the dog back. Anyone know who people can contact to protest her actions? I'd be willing to fire off a letter/email/phone call to someone if it would help get the dog back. At the very least she should be unceremoniously dumped as a shelter volunteer.

Jamila said:

I certainly hope that not only those with halos deserve compassion. If not, we are all in very deep shit. :ohmy:

Sue DeNym said:
http://kctv5.com/Global/category.asp?C=70755

Don't forget to turn your volume down at first; they show a very loud 15-second commercial before the normally-volumed news tape.

The man, handicapped, under duress, homeless and desperate, could only find one place for his family to stay, and that place didn't allow dogs. He had to give up his dog to someone else. Now he's in a home that allows dogs, and the woman who took in the dog will not give it back to him.

What a disgusting piece of :censored: for a human being. Unbelievable. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom