Woman sues 2 teenager girls for dropping off cookies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$900 might have been the medical bill. Getting a brief doctor visit to write a prescription antibiotic in an emergency room ended up billing my insurance $600.

Welcome to the insanity that is the American medical system.

Melon

melon said:
$900 might have been the medical bill.

Melon

That's what I was thinking.

I agree that the girls exercised poor judgment when they knocked on this lady's door at 10:30 at night, but they seem contrite and were willing to pay the woman's medical costs. I saw these two lovely young ladies on "Good Morning America" this morning and they seem truly sorry for what they did and they were just trying to be friendly. I think the fruitcake is a whiny bint who took it too far by suing the teen girls. I also saw a picture of the fruitcake. She doesn't exactly need to be eating cookies.

Golightly Grrl said:
I agree that the girls exercised poor judgment when they knocked on this lady's door at 10:30 at night, but they seem contrite and were willing to pay the woman's medical costs. I saw these two lovely young ladies on "Good Morning America" this morning and they seem truly sorry for what they did and they were just trying to be friendly. I think the fruitcake is a whiny bint who took it too far by suing the teen girls. I also saw a picture of the fruitcake. She doesn't exactly need to be eating cookies.
Too right. Silly old bitch - what sort of message is that sending out? She was so scared she thought she'd leave her elderly mother and her daughter alone? Sounds like she should be in a mental home - may I suggest: http://www.explorationstation.co.uk/hellingly.html

Nobody would bother her there... it's been closed since 1992.

(In case anyone's wondering - I'm an expert on these sort of places - not from personal experience, but because I used to work for English Heritage and have visited a lot of old buildings.)

deep said:
The Judge is obviously in the pocket of the Girl Scouts.

"follow the money"

I still say the Girl Scouts are involved.

If this got out of hand, free cookies!

We are talking tens of million$.

ok- cinnamon girl

sallycinnamon78 said:
- I'm an expert on these sort of places - not from personal experience, but because I used to work for English Heritage and have visited a lot of old buildings.)

5hell.jpg

we should leave the cookies there

rats like cookies
and would never complain

deep said:

"follow the money"

I still say the Girl Scouts are involved.

If this got out of hand, free cookies!

We are talking tens of million$.

Yes, this is clearly an underhanded move by the Girl Scouts. It's all part of their Microsoft-style plan to establish a monopoly over the cookie market.

Last edited:
speedracer

you did it!

unveiled the true "Axis of Evil"

Microsoft
Cookies
Girl Scouts

how insidious
how subtle
how perfect

speedracer said:

If this article gets widely circulated in the blogosphere, I'm sure the girls will pick up enough donations to cover their costs.

And you were correct.

Her husband sounds like a real winner, too.

http://news4colorado.com/colorado/CO--CostlyCookies-dn/resources_news_html

Two girls won't have to pay fine, Station raises money
Saturday February 05, 2005
DURANGO, Colo. (AP) Two teenage girls who got in trouble for surprising their neighbors with homemade cookies will not have to pay nearly $1,000 in medical bills for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

Radio station KOA-AM of Denver raised more than $1,900 from listeners Friday to pay the girls' $930.78 fine. The rest of the money will go to a charity dedicated to victims of the Columbine High School massacre.

The story unfolded when teens Taylor Ostergaard, 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, decided to bake chocolate chip and sugar cookies and place them outside their neighbors' doors with large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, ``Have a great night'' and were signed with their first initials: ``Love, The T and L Club.''

The trouble began when they approached the home of Wanita Renea Young, 49. Young said she heard someone banging on the door of her rural home late in the evening. She went to the door and saw ``shadowy figures'' but they refused to answer when she called out to them.

The teens said they did not answer when the woman called out because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

Young said she was so frightened, she spent the night at her sister's home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking and had an upset stomach.

The teens offered to pay Young's medical bills but she insisted on going to small claims court. Judge Doug Walker, after hearing the teens explanation, awarded medical costs but declined to order punitive damages.

``The victory wasn't sweet,'' Young said. ``I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson.''

Meanwhile, Richard Ostergaard, father of Taylor, got a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.

Wanita Young said, ``This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town.''

melon said:
$900 might have been the medical bill. Getting a brief doctor visit to write a prescription antibiotic in an emergency room ended up billing my insurance $600.

Melon

Medical fees (no small change) and hiring a lawyer.... that is some annoying shit. I mean what is the point of going through with the legal action if the family was willing to pay for the medical bills? Sad...

Re: ok- cinnamon girl

deep said:

we should leave the cookies there

rats like cookies
and would never complain

Au contrair (sp) rats are not as quick to eat just anything they find, they'll actually nibble at something, wait to see if it's okay, then proceed to eat it...unless it's your own pet rat, in which they kinda trust you to give them something that's okay, even then, they might hesitate.

My rattie likes pizza. (very small piece mind you)

------------------------------

The girl scouts, huh, better be mindful of them.

joyfulgirl said:
I guess I am the lone voice who does not consider what these girls did a good deed. I would have been really pissed if teenagers knocked on my door at 10:30 pm, left cookies and ran away (seriously, are the these girls idiots or what?). I would have called them, thanked them for the cookies, and asked them never to do that again.

Okay - I wouldn't be particularly happy about having unexpected visitors at that hour of night - I'm very vigilant about security. I stick by what I said earlier though. Suing people who were, although maybe misguided, trying to be kind is just petty and ridiculous. As for rejecting their letter, and offer of payment for treatment; that just strikes me as vindictive fruitloopery.

Off to Hellingly with the miserable old bat, as far as I'm concerned, and the sooner the better.:huh: :eyebrow:

:up: Big Kudos to KOA-AM of Denver for raising that money for those girls! That was a very decent and kind thing for them to do. :)

Meanwhile, Richard Ostergaard, father of Taylor, got a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.

Jeez, what a :censored: . He and his hag wife deserve each other. I sure hope they never had kids. Maybe they should both move to that abandoned asylum like sallycinnamon suggested -- away from other people, like they need to be.

Wanita Young said, ``This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town.''

Well, DUH! :der: You go out of your way to harrass your neighbors, then are upset because it rebounds upon you? "As ye sow, so shall ye reap." Should've thought things through before you did them, dimwit. :coocoo:

"Wanita Young said, ``This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town.''"

Oh yeeeeeees! I am SO happy to hear this news. Thanks for the feedback, Hallelujah! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom