Woman sues 2 teenager girls for dropping off cookies... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:11 AM
Frivolous lawsuits, pfft!

So the lesson learned, next time just leave flaming bags of dog poo.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:43 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 AM

Like GWB said, it's all John Edwards' fault

Old 02-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #18
Banned

Local Time: 08:11 AM
Looks in Disbelief
Old 02-05-2005, 05:56 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

That is awful Poor girls, no good deed goes unpunished. But people are so paranoid these days. I bet nobody ate the cookies anyway, if you don't know who they're from, people would probably think they were poison or bombs or something
Old 02-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Has this lady never had anyone knock on her door at night before? What does she do on Halloween?
Old 02-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy
no good deed goes unpunished...
Indeed. You know how people are always complaining about how teenagers are no good, always getting involved in gangs and drugs and drinking and other bad stuff? Then we get two teen girls who try to do something nice for their neighbors, and get punished with a stiff fine.

And you know this woman will be complaining about how nobody respects her anymore. I hope the entire neighborhood shuns her for her nasty deed.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:11 AM
I guess I am the lone voice who does not consider what these girls did a good deed. I would have been really pissed if teenagers knocked on my door at 10:30 pm, left cookies and ran away (seriously, are the these girls idiots or what?). I would have called them, thanked them for the cookies, and asked them never to do that again.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Has this lady never had anyone knock on her door at night before? What does she do on Halloween?
It was 10:30PM and not Halloween. Something like this would have scared my poor mother to death.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Just saw that one over on LiveJournal.

Simply astounding. I cannot believe the judge ruled against the teenage girls. Thoroughly ridiculous and bizarre.
If this article gets widely circulated in the blogosphere, I'm sure the girls will pick up enough donations to cover their costs.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #25
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I guess I am the lone voice who does not consider what these girls did a good deed. I would have been really pissed if teenagers knocked on my door at 10:30 pm, left cookies and ran away (seriously, are the these girls idiots or what?). I would have called them, thanked them for the cookies, and asked them never to do that again.
Its one thing to be pissed its another thing to sue and take a person to court. Sure, she had a panic attack, but the parents were willing to pay for the unfortunate hospital fees. However Miss FRUITCAKE wanted to take it further then that which is FUCKED UP as any person who has been through a lawsuit understands. AND for what? B/C of a desire to do something nice, girls get punished. I wish there more people like those girls around then the obviously insane old lady.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

It is the "fragile vase" theory. A weakness does not need to be apparent for liability to attach.
Yeah, but doesn't there need to be some sort of intent? This could have been based on a negligence theory, but I always learned that there was no cause of action for negligent (as opposed to intentional) infliction of emotional distress. And for emotional distress cases, I thought the behavior had to be outside the bounds of what normal society would tolerate. Does giving someone cookies now qualify as that?

Honestly, what did she sue them for? Negligent delivery of baked goods?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

Its one thing to be pissed its another thing to sue and take a person to court. Sure, she had a panic attack, but the parents were willing to pay for the unfortunate hospital fees. However Miss FRUITCAKE wanted to take it further then that which is FUCKED UP as any person who has been through a lawsuit understands. AND for what? B/C of a desire to do something nice, girls get punished. I wish there more people like those girls around then the obviously insane old lady.
I certainly did not agree with suing the girls! I'm simply saying I think the girls were wrong to do what they did so late at night. I'm just thinking about my elderly mother who lives alone and she could very well have had a heartattack from someone banging on her door at 10:30 pm. These teenagers were old enough to know better. They weren't kids. Why on earth would they bang on someone's door at 10:30pm, leave cookies and run away?? I mean, I'm sorry, I think that's really really stupid and rude. But, as I made clear, a phone call to them would have sufficed.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

It does seem pretty strange to "surprise" people with cookies late at night, though. If I didn't know who made them, I would have thought they were poisoned. Maybe.

Melon
Old 02-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #29
New Yorker

Quote:

I certainly did not agree with suing the girls! I'm simply saying I think the girls were wrong to do what they did so late at night. I'm just thinking about my elderly mother who lives alone and she could very well have had a heartattack from someone banging on her door at 10:30 pm. These teenagers were old enough to know better. They weren't kids. Why on earth would they bang on someone's door at 10:30pm, leave cookies and run away?? I mean, I'm sorry, I think that's really really stupid and rude. But, as I made clear, a phone call to them would have sufficed.
The girls were kind a dorky and naive... no doubt, but these girls actions did not fit the "punishment" or response from Miss Fruitcake. I mean it's like punishing an apple thief by cutting of the thief's hand (alah Aladdin). Suing teenagers for knocking on the door and leaving cookies. WTF! I also blame the judge/ legal system... what kind of waste of time case is that?

Fruitcake lady deserves her house rolled with toilet paper and a bag of stinky poo on her porch.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
10:30 PM is too late to be calling on your neighbors, I agree (unless there's an emergency). The girls would've done better to wait until morning to do their deliveries. Your response is a lot more rational than suing them, though I'd add in something about "it's not safe for women to be out late at night, there are lots of creeps about, you might have gotten in trouble".

Suing them for $900, though, is overreacting in a huge way. And being just plain nasty. The apology and offer to cover the medical bill was quite adequate; she should not have gone this far. She's shot herself in the foot with this action; don't be surprised if the neighborhood shuns her or her house gets vandalized somehow.