Woman marries dead boyfriend - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Woman marries dead boyfriend

[Q]Woman marries dead boyfriend
February 11, 2004 - 9:02AM

A 35-year-old Frenchwoman became both bride and widow when she married her dead boyfriend, in an exchange of vows that required authorisation from the French president.

The ceremony was performed at Nice City Hall on the French Riviera.

The deceased groom, a former policeman identified as Eric, was not present at the ceremony. He was killed by a drunk driver in September 2002.

Demichel told LCI television she was fully aware that "it could seem shocking to marry someone who is dead", but said that her fiance's absence from her life had not dimmed her feelings for him.

According to French law, a marriage between a living person and a dead person can take place as long as preliminary civic formalities have been completed that show the couple had planned to marry. Before the ceremony can take place, it must be approved by the French president. [/Q]

Old 02-10-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm glad to see heterosexuals preserving the sanctity of marriage.

Melon

Old 02-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:27 AM
its none of my business whether its an ok thing to do or not.....but its just a stupid thing to do
Old 02-10-2004, 11:23 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

I just think we need a further definition of marriage now. This may become the rage here in the states. Talk about a can of worms....
Old 02-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I just think we need a further definition of marriage now. This may become the rage here in the states. Talk about a can of worms....
That's because many Americans put their fears before their brains. I doubt that any court or legislature would ever allow one to marry a deceased individual. In fact, that is considered fraud. France is different, merely because they have a law allowing it.

Melon
Old 02-10-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

That's because many Americans put their fears before their brains.
I can see it being challenged in court.....we were going to get married. It was their dying wish.

I can see it...not out of fear....I was sarcastic at first....but now I am serious.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:40 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:27 PM
I'm with Melon, I'm glad France is doing their best to uphold the sanctity of marriage.

On a serious note, how would this work legally? You marry someone without true consent. She can't get divorced without his signature, but I guess you're considered a widow, so you can remarry without divorce. Doesn't the man have a say in any of this?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:40 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Honeymoon lines:

Honey, relax...you are so stiff.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:23 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

yes, I know she will be happy, but she is marrying a stiff she could do better.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Good grief, this is a new standard of nuttiness. This is one of the damnedest stories I've ever heard. Wait until we start talking about it here!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:13 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:27 PM
This is a story you would expect in the cheap tabloids. The real story is that France has a law that allows you to marry a dead person.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:14 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I'm going to be the minority and say that yes, this is weird, but I can't justify calling this woman a sicko or a nutcase. Two months ago one of my best friend's died of cancer. Everyone will agree that her boyfriend took this the hardest of anyone, including her own parents. He was at the hospital with her every day. He wanted her to live so they could eventually get married. Everyone also agrees that they were the perfect couple. Her death wasn't unexpected in the sense that she'd been in the hospital for months, yet she had been doing better and was starting to eat on her own again. Whenever I see her boyfriend, I can't help but wonder how he feels inside and how he will ever be able to have another relationship like that again. Now I'm not saying he should marry my dead friend now, but still, I'm sure this woman in France didn't marry her dead boyfriend because she had some sick fettish with dead people. I don't think it's fair for us to sit here and make a mockery out of this. Imagine if the person you had loved for so long and were planning on marrying was suddenly taken away forever...even if we don't agree on her marriage, we should all be able to sympathize with that.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:27 PM
well, at least she will always know where he is
Old 02-11-2004, 01:39 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I agree w/ LivLuv
Old 02-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Well, I'm going to be the minority and say that yes, this is weird, but I can't justify calling this woman a sicko or a nutcase. Two months ago one of my best friend's died of cancer. Everyone will agree that her boyfriend took this the hardest of anyone, including her own parents. He was at the hospital with her every day. He wanted her to live so they could eventually get married. Everyone also agrees that they were the perfect couple. Her death wasn't unexpected in the sense that she'd been in the hospital for months, yet she had been doing better and was starting to eat on her own again. Whenever I see her boyfriend, I can't help but wonder how he feels inside and how he will ever be able to have another relationship like that again. Now I'm not saying he should marry my dead friend now, but still, I'm sure this woman in France didn't marry her dead boyfriend because she had some sick fettish with dead people. I don't think it's fair for us to sit here and make a mockery out of this. Imagine if the person you had loved for so long and were planning on marrying was suddenly taken away forever...even if we don't agree on her marriage, we should all be able to sympathize with that.
This is in no offense to your story, but I've had this same exact thing happen in my family, and you grieve you don't marry this person. Marriage is two people consenting to spend the rest of their lives together, you can't exactly do that with one person already dead. It's a mockery of marriage and a mockery to the departed.