Woman Booted Off Flight Over T Shirt - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

it is a nice t-shirt

Hmm... I'm really split by this.

Initially, I would say "come on, what is the US turning into, Communist?" It seems like everywhere someone is getting "offended".

But then... the lady is responsible for her actions. Anyone and everyone should know about 9/11, about people being ancy, and the airline agencies not "flying so high" when it comes to making money - they can't afford major lawsuites...... again........

So really, I don't know.

It's not exactly like wearing a Red Sox shirt into Yankees stadium... but almost. And since we are "delicate" in that we can only say certain words on general TV (but anything on public radio... which irratates me)...

I guess the law of the land is the law at hand.
I, personally would never wear that shirt in public, unless I wanted to ruffel a bunch of feathers or I knew someone who would really get a kick out of it.

But on an airplane?

I say she is in the wrong.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I believe that is the T-shirt...or one that is similar.

My question....how did the sweatshirt "slip"?

My feeling is that people are way over reacting to this.

Quote:
Originally posted by mucho traffico
ive seen their show airline, southwest are like the beer police. oh you had a drink, you cant fly. no way id fly that crap. maybe it made the tv filming. trying to boost the ratings like cnn
Guess what? This is EVERY airline. If you are overly intoxicated...I do not want you on my plane! You are a danger to not only yourself, but every other passenger stuck in this flying steel tube. Add to the fact that you become even MORE dehydrated when flying, that you quickly become a health risk.

I have denied people before. And I will do it again.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:05 AM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:32 AM
What do you mean, how did it slip? She might not have been very reclined in her seat, and while asleep, it could very well have slid onto her lap.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:36 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:32 PM

Some people are so easily offended it's a miracle they even make it outside without getting a heart attack.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:50 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
What do you mean, how did it slip? She might not have been very reclined in her seat, and while asleep, it could very well have slid onto her lap.

I am not sure about Aussie planes...but seats don't really recline so much that a sweatshirt could "slip" - if you put the sweatshirt on....it should not "slip"!

Again...people are way over-sensitive.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:39 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:02 AM
If people are still getting offended by the word "fuck" in 2005, then noone should come to Australia!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #22
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
Guess what? This is EVERY airline. If you are overly intoxicated...I do not want you on my plane! You are a danger to not only yourself, but every other passenger stuck in this flying steel tube. Add to the fact that you become even MORE dehydrated when flying, that you quickly become a health risk.

I have denied people before. And I will do it again.
and to that, i say

i was flying non-rev once, from los angeles to new york. in dallas, another non-rev passenger that we were flying with - an employee of the airline - became intoxicated and also took a handful of prescription medication. halfway to new york, she was completely out of control in first class, flashing the other passengers, yelling at the flight attendant and pounding on the window. she was unpredictable, and i have never been so absolutely terrified in my entire life.

we landed and the rest of us de-planed while she was held back. she not only lost her non-rev privileges that day, she lost the opportunity to ever fly that airline again, and her job.

i think she should have been arrested.

i say bravo to any airline who strictly enforces their intoxication policies.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

what us non-rev?

Yikes...bad move on her part!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

and to that, i say

i was flying non-rev once, from los angeles to new york. in dallas, another non-rev passenger that we were flying with - an employee of the airline - became intoxicated and also took a handful of prescription medication. halfway to new york, she was completely out of control in first class, flashing the other passengers, yelling at the flight attendant and pounding on the window. she was unpredictable, and i have never been so absolutely terrified in my entire life.

we landed and the rest of us de-planed while she was held back. she not only lost her non-rev privileges that day, she lost the opportunity to ever fly that airline again, and her job.

i think she should have been arrested.

i say bravo to any airline who strictly enforces their intoxication policies.

Shit, bg...
Old 10-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If you go to Fenway Park or Yankee stadium, you are not allowed to wear such fine shirts as Yankees Suck or Jeter sucks A-rod so it's not uncommon for this type of thing to happen.

Airlines are within their right to turn people away for wearing offensive articles of clothing. I'm surprised that the airline did not ask her to remove the shirt or at least turn it inside out - which is what happened to a friend of mine wearing a Yankees Suck shirt in NY.

Some may consider it a free speech issue but it's also just a general respect issue.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #26
Neon Zebra

free speech only applies if you aren't breaking any rules or violating any policies.

my daughter was sent home from school last year when she wore a shirt that read "school sucks." was her right to free speech violated? no. she was actually breaking a section of the school's dress code policy stating that rude or disruptive logos are not permitted.

if the airline has a similar policy, then they had every right to boot her.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

That shirt would get her kicked out of many establishments. At least in the US.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Although I find the word vulgar, I use it in friendly, private conversations much more than I should.

To me though, there's something different about vulgar words being printed on shirts for all to see. Just like I find it offensive to be subjected to a stranger's foul language in say, an elevator or a restaurant, the same stands for shirts with vulgar words/terms on them.

Maybe it seems hypocritical, but I see it as a public versus private issue. What's acceptable amongst friends in private conversations or the confines of one's home isn't necessarily acceptable in public & I see it as a matter of respect not to subject perfect strangers to what I know is still consider by society at large as a social no-no.

*rambles on wondering if she's making any sense*
Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Yes, because we all know that people who hijack planes wear those t-shirts. . .
Old 10-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 PM
That's not a very nice T-shirt but I think kicking her off the flight is excessive.